RTP announce new road traffic fines: Some are actually REDUCED

webfact

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm....  Say what now ?

Pillion not wearing a helmet is now an 800baht fine, rider not wearing one is half that?

Thailand’s approach to road safety is all about media announcements and enabling the current apathy of enforcement !

I would think the pillion passenger fine might be relating to motorbike taxis, all of them offer helmets for passengers (not if there's more than 1 of course), I've seen many passengers refuse to wear it.

It all makes perfect sense............Before a fine was 1,000 Baht. Thai man not have. OK BIB say gibe me 500 to walk away, Thai man not have. Reduce fine to 500..Thai man not have.......ok give me 200 to walk away.........ok..............

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:
6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Which part of you aren't buddhist?

Just corrected!  Dam phone changes what I type! 

That's why it's called a smartphone - it's got a mine mind of it's own.

Sadly not the enlightening/entertaining answer I was hoping for.

I was expecting something along the lines of: How many buddhists does it need to change a light bulb? - Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I have been trying to puzzle out Thai logic since I got here many years ago, but as this truly amazing chunk of what seems sheer stupidity proves, I am no closer now than I was on day one.

Logic and Thai's do not ever go together.  Now the Audacity of the RTP along with the inability to explain the societal consequences to the people affected by reducing the fines has now played out and that. is for the only 1 reason I can only think of, and that one reason and is to help there pocket books in these times of desperate need.  The RTP's pocket book on the fines paid indiscreetly can now be reduced, while showing no mercy for not wearing a brain bucket for a pillion rider.  Does this now mean that the moto taxi boys will have to ensure the fares are given a helmet to wear, which must be sanitized each time, or is this the new cherry patch for the RTP to stop and <deleted> off the people using the services.  Just a skewed view of mine.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Trentham said:

The word for logic in Thai is ตรรกวิทยา - tukka wittya. 

I have used it a few times but most people did not know the word.

Ha, maybe because you left out a piece of pronunciation; the 'ท' is pronounced ทะ wittaya. Nah, just a typo wasn't it.

Serious though, I didn't see traditional (Aristotle's) Logic on the high school syllabus when I was teaching here some years ago. Certainly not the more advanced Predicate/Mathematical Logic. There was some algebraic logic and a little Set Theory as a prelude for those interested in electronics. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

none of us are. 

I  have been here a decade and I beleive I have a logical theory :  Its kind of similar when the painter slops paint on the floor and some on the lights and anything else thats in the way...  The objective is the job..  so you cant say he didnt paint it well, despite the mess (one guy told me the TV had paint on it but I dont beleive that!  So, in this context, not only is the objective the all and end all, its the furfilling of the job task...   The big picture of saving kids life is not a concern.. the point is to appear to do the job task at hand.. people wont pay the larger fines so make them smaller...  then they will right?  thats it... there is no bigger picture here...... objective achived...  Then you have the so many departments not working together.. because how is that going to help?  and giving away credit to that other department?  nooooo

Their logic is when times are tough like now they do the Thai people a favor because they really care and look after them. Majority of Thais do buy into it because every baht counts and that is how they get their support and keep them in line.

What they don't realize they are only adding to the chances more Thais will die which is what is happening for the last ten years. If someone were to point out if they use this type of logic in controlling the Virus we would all be dead by now.

This is the same type of logic they allow kids to learn how to ride bikes so they can get to school otherwise they wouldn't be able to learn!  This is the factory of death in my opinion.

6 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Nothing about driving without lights after dusk?

Should be mandatory to have lights on when it is raining too!

I believe, although I'm not sure, that in contrast to some countries where driving with headlines on even in daylight is compulsory, in Thailand it is illegal to do so. Thais would understand the logic of that, but we might struggle because we don't unnerstan Thailan.

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe, although I'm not sure, that in contrast to some countries where driving with headlines on even in daylight is compulsory, in Thailand it is illegal to do so. Thais would understand the logic of that, but we might struggle because we don't unnerstan Thailan.

[Driving with headlights on in the daytime, illegal] - Erm, no....  You paid too much attention to the other guy at the bar !!!

That said, the BiB used to try it on a fine people for this ‘made up law’ such that people started believing it as a law !!! 

Most cars a motorcycles these days have their lights on at all times. 

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

I  have been here a decade and I beleive I have a logical theory :  Its kind of similar when the painter slops paint on the floor and some on the lights and anything else thats in the way...  The objective is the job..  so you cant say he didnt paint it well, despite the mess (one guy told me the TV had paint on it but I dont beleive that!  So, in this context, not only is the objective the all and end all, its the furfilling of the job task...   The big picture of saving kids life is not a concern.. the point is to appear to do the job task at hand.. people wont pay the larger fines so make them smaller...  then they will right?  thats it... there is no bigger picture here...... objective achived...  Then you have the so many departments not working together.. because how is that going to help?  and giving away credit to that other department?  nooooo

I understand what you are suggesting, I understand because I have helped to raise 3 kids and kids act like that. So you teach them, or sometimes knock it out of them with sanctions, what you don't do is accept it as normal behavior for a thinking adult.  

8 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I have been trying to puzzle out Thai logic since I got here many years ago, but as this truly amazing chunk of what seems sheer stupidity proves, I am no closer now than I was on day one.

"I am no closer now than I was on day one". Same here, I really think they must have a different brain. This new amendment of the traffic fines is just an example of thousands. So I have really given up trying to find any logic in their decisions. Because there is none. I just call it Thai.

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

none of us are.