what is this trunk thing on the right side of the window ?

scammed

16 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

It is a snorkel air intake for the engine. It means the engine can still run when the car is in very deep water.

However. Given its height above the cab roof, the engine may still be able to breath but the occupants of the vehicle will not.

Exactly, it's only for show, but what kind of dick head wants that monstrosity on his new vehicle is another question altogether.

• Haha 1

It is a fording kit installed on vehicles to ford streams and rivers so the engine's oxygen 

intake does NOT get water in it and kill the engine. I used these vehicles in the military 

to drive trucks through streams and rivers. Very useful in you don't want to abandon and 

swim to shore. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nervona81732 said:

It is a fording kit installed on vehicles to ford streams and rivers so the engine's oxygen 

intake does NOT get water in it and kill the engine. I used these vehicles in the military 

to drive trucks through streams and rivers. Very useful in you don't want to abandon and 

swim to shore. 

what vehicle was that ?

i get it that a main battle tank has the weight

and the traction from its track propulsion to drive submerged,

but even amphibious armored vessels float

and uses a propeller to propel itself to dry land.

come to think of it even subs armored to withstand 200 meter pressure and torpedo impact still float lest it deliberately flood a good portion to sink

Edited by scammed

On 9/3/2020 at 9:43 PM, johnray said:

It's so the engine can work when there is a flood.  Actually a really smart idea.

Basically, that is the idea. They're used on vehicles that go on some very serious safaris.

However, in this case it is so high that were it to be used to its full potential, the occupants would drown!

• Like 1

A few years ago most trucks in Bangkok had these exhaust snorkels installed due to all the floods. If your exhaust goes under water, the engine will stall very quickly. That is why you see so many cars and trucks stalled out in the middle of a flooded street.

6 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

A few years ago most trucks in Bangkok had these exhaust snorkels installed due to all the floods. If your exhaust goes under water, the engine will stall very quickly. That is why you see so many cars and trucks stalled out in the middle of a flooded street.

It doesnt just stall the engine it wrecks it.

You cannot compress water.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Contrary to many of the previous posts, the idea isn't to drive into water so just the top of the snorkel is sticking out like a submarine's periscope.  It's simply to keep the air intake out of the water when it would be flooded in its normal position.  The exhaust pipe is under positive pressure when the engine is running, so, while it may be useful to extend it upwards, it's not essential to do so.  As long as you don't stall.

image.png.da1767e1fce3c965836bebb2672f4d1b.png

I think people are fully aware its not there to act like a periscope on a submarine.

It was an attempt at humor. 

• Like 2

I used to run trailed cruisers and launching with car or Landrover would always have the car exhaust underwater. So long as the engine keeps running and you don't stall it or turn it off it will continue to exhaust quite happily under a couple of feet of water as the pressure is sufficient to exclude the water. Mind you - wet carpets stink forever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I never understand why so many people who have absolutely NOTHING to contribute to a conversation feel that their voice must be heard...

To answer your question: combustion engines need air in order to work. For a car to be able to operate when the engine is under water (when crossing a deep steam) the engine must have the airway uninterrupted. The snorkel being above water ensures air can enter the engine and not water. 

Another reason for snorkel is when driving on dirt roads where cars in front produce a lot of dust which might block the air filter and choke the engine. Having the air intake higher allows for cleaner air and reduce filter clogging. 

Yes. On a Toyota Landcruiser model I noticed that this was not a waterproof installation. Hence, it might be to avoid dust.

Better do a through check on your vehicle, before subjecting it to flood waters.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Why...????

This is not the bicycle forum....????

It reminded me of when I was working in the Pilbara over 50 years ago. The chief chemist, an Egyptian, took the long wheel base Land Rover on the Goldsworthy road and blew a tire. Stamped on the brake instead of letting the vehicle decelerate. Rolled it, complete writeoff. He got out of it with a grazed face and broken wrist, no seatbelts. A Scottish engineer, Bill O'Neill and I, were watching as the wreck was brought back to the port. Bill turned to me and quietly said " I've always said it's a mistake to give them cars when we've only just finished teaching them how to ride bicycles".

Sorry if it's too far off topic for you, lighten up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nervona81732 said:

swim to shore. 

In Australia we simply refer to it as a snorkle, but is exactly as mentioned here. I got stuck in a croc infested river once in the Northern Territory, water over the bonnet, and without this I would have had to swim for it, essential piece of equipment for country folk.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Contrary to many of the previous posts, the idea isn't to drive into water so just the top of the snorkel is sticking out like a submarine's periscope.  It's simply to keep the air intake out of the water when it would be flooded in its normal position.  The exhaust pipe is under positive pressure when the engine is running, so, while it may be useful to extend it upwards, it's not essential to do so.  As long as you don't stall.

image.png.da1767e1fce3c965836bebb2672f4d1b.png

Is that E2R and HRH........!?

2 hours ago, scammed said:

yeah, i suspected it was, but i think its a marketing toy more then anything else, if water is so deep that you get submerged, then a car will lose traction, and float altogether until the inside has been flooded

In the case of the pic it probably is just a marketing thing. However, a car can be submerged in deep enough water for the standard air intake to be in the water yet due to the weigh of the car it still have enough traction. The seals on new cars are usually good enough to keep water out of the cabin. One of the Ford new rangers features is air intake 80cm above ground, meaning you can cross streams as deep as about 7cm easily. Of course it's most useful for people who do extreem 4x4 trips and just a showoff for those who don't. I owned a 4x4 fitted with snorkel, and during the 2011 floods and i travelled on roads so deep that I wouldn't be able to do so without the snorkel

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, ChouDoufu said:

Yes, but it's not all you need to take that sweet ride skinny dipping. Be sure that an elevated exhaust is fitted too. Water pressure to the exhaust will kill the engine, too, and then there is no getting started again, So you need both elevated intake and exhaust. The exhaust is easy to add when/if required.

20 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

One of the Ford new rangers features is air intake 80cm above ground, meaning you can cross streams as deep as about 7cm easily.

okay.  but the russians got that beat.

Vodoem_550(1).jpg

Edited by ChouDoufu

23 hours ago, scammed said:

that does not further the answer to the protruding black trunk on the left side on the window,

it sort of stick out and break the symmetry of the vehicle

A high level air intake so avoiding the risk of water ingress to the engine in the event of a high tidal surge otherwise known as a dick driving through deep water, 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

In the case of the pic it probably is just a marketing thing. However, a car can be submerged in deep enough water for the standard air intake to be in the water yet due to the weigh of the car it still have enough traction. The seals on new cars are usually good enough to keep water out of the cabin. One of the Ford new rangers features is air intake 80cm above ground, meaning you can cross streams as deep as about 7cm easily. Of course it's most useful for people who do extreem 4x4 trips and just a showoff for those who don't. I owned a 4x4 fitted with snorkel, and during the 2011 floods and i travelled on roads so deep that I wouldn't be able to do so without the snorkel

For those not conversant in metric, streams as deep as 7cm are less than 3 inches deep.

• Like 2