TOYOTA car radio

stouricks

Please move to Motor Forum if needed.

I posted a couple of weeks ago that the radio in my 2012 Vigo would not connect via Bluetooth to my Huawei phone. I did a few years back but now, no. It will connect to a Honda.

Anyway with the help of a very nice man, we determined that the Toyota will only connect to Android 8 and LOWER. My Huawei phone automatically upgraded to Android 9 and cannot be downgraded.

When I asked Toyota what the solution was, they said 'Buy a new radio'.......Bht 8000 upwards. This is totally unacceptable and I have emailed the CEO in Japan.

I have got round the problem by using an old Samsung phone, Android 5, to Bluetooth to the radio, and then connect that via a WiFi hotspot to my Huawei. A bit of a pain to have two phones, but the old one stays in the car anyway.

So BBC R2 from the internet via 4G to Huawei, WiFi Hotspot to Samsung, Bluetooth to Toyota. 

Edited by stouricks

17 hours ago, stouricks said:

This is totally unacceptable and I have emailed the CEO in Japan.

Good grief...Huawei upgraded your phone so you complained about it to the "CEO" of Toyota?  Some may say that would be really "totally unacceptable".

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hi Tea said:

Good grief...Huawei upgraded your phone so you complained about it to the "CEO" of Toyota?  

No Mr Tea, read what I wrote. I complained to Toyota because THEIR radio cannot connect to any phone above Android 8 and their staff simply said 'buy a new radio'

I have no problems at all with the Huawei phone.

17 minutes ago, stouricks said:
21 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Good grief...Huawei upgraded your phone so you complained about it to the "CEO" of Toyota?  

No Mr Tea, read what I wrote. I complained to Toyota because THEIR radio cannot connect to any phone above Android 8 and their staff simply said 'buy a new radio'

No, it's your phone that now cannot connect to the radio. 

The Toyota radio in the Toyota has not changed, the Huawei phone has and that makes it non-compatible with the Toyota product; that has nothing to do with Toyota.

Do you expect a new radio, gratis, from Toyota?

By the way, stouricks, my Thaivisa name is "Hi Tea", not "Mr Tea", please don't deliberately mis-quote it again.

Edited by Hi Tea
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

No, it's your phone that now cannot connect to the radio. 

The Toyota radio in the Toyota has not changed, the Huawei phone has and that makes it non-compatible with the Toyota product; that has nothing to do with Toyota.

Do you expect a new radio, gratis, from Toyota?

By the way, stouricks, my Thaivisa name is "Hi Tea", not "Mr Tea", please don't deliberately mis-quote it again.

Yes you are correct although your argument sounds just weird.

I shall go out tomorrow and purchase a new Toyota Revo.

Edited by stouricks

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

8 year old car radio tech perhaps...

Perhaps later model rides have later tech radios.

7 hours ago, stouricks said:

I am sure they do. But I would have thought that Toyota/Pioneer (who make the radio) could upgrade the software to keep up with Android.

me old trusty crystal set is still working...what,s this android business all about...anything to do with these moon landings I keep hearing about..:unsure:

• Haha 1