Video: Out of control Ferris wheel terrifies passengers at Isaan fun fair

webfact

Video: Out of control Ferris wheel terrifies passengers at Isaan fun fair

9pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A video showed the dramatic moments when a Ferris wheel would not stop turning at a "Try, Shop and Buy" festival in the north east of Thailand.

A man can be seen desperately hanging on as the wheel turns backwards and forwards and people scream. 

No one was hurt. 

Mayor of Kusuman district in Sakon Nakhon, Anon Jankaew said contrary to an online post a cable had not snapped. 

It had merely become loose due to the humidity and rainy conditions. 

Only two of the baskets were occupied at the time of the incident and everyone was safe. It happened on Saturday. 

The identity of the man hanging on in the video was not explained, notes Thaivisa. 

Engineers had investigated and found the wheel was operating normally - it was just the cable. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-23

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

In Thailand, I don't do funfair rides, zip wires, parascending, parachuting, white water rafting, flying, micro lights, paragliding, (all activities that I enjoyed one time or another in the UK and around Europe); nor any other leisure activities that require Thais to maintain the equipment.  I value my life too much.   

Years back my Thai son totally banned such venues.

If his kids see venues like this on TV he changes the subject and the channel and engages them in something different.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

In Thailand, I don't do funfair rides, zip wires, parascending, parachuting, white water rafting, flying, micro lights, paragliding, (all activities that I enjoyed one time or another in the UK and around Europe); nor any other leisure activities that require Thais to maintain the equipment.  I value my life too much.   

Just be careful on the roads!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not all recreational aviation in Thailand is unsafe. It depends who maintains the equipment, and where they were trained. Thais may be "required" to maintain:- No...... Thais are required to sign off on the maintenance. Not same same, necessarily! 

I think the same would apply to many "hi-tech" recreational activities.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 12:18 PM, webfact said:

Engineers had investigated and found the wheel was operating normally - it was just the cable. 

So normal operation involves people screaming and a man hanging on to the outside of the wheel?