Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Immigration Accepting Permanent Residency Applications From October 1st to December 30th

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Does anyone publish a list showing the number of applicants from each country over the years? 

No

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

For example, if there were 8000 applicants from my home country and only 100 selected, that's one thing. 

I doubt the total applications each year would ever total that much. The chance of you not being able to get it due to your country's quota being reached is very small I would say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

More info can be found on the page of the website I posted a link to.

Basically you have to be working with a work permit, paying taxes and be on extensions of stay for 3 consecutive years to apply.

3 years of work permit and paying tax on a ME-O doesn't work, in case anyone asks.

Must be 12 month extensions.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Basically you have to be working with a work permit, paying taxes and be on extensions of stay for 3 consecutive years to apply.

Joe, this is what I had always understood, but reading the document it does nto seem to be so for (1) investors and (2) spouses over age 50 (they are required to show proof of income of 65k a year for prior 3 years but no mention of working in Thailand, presumably this could be pension or investment income?)

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Joe, this is what I had always understood, but reading the document it does nto seem to be so for (1) investors and (2) spouses over age 50 (they are required to show proof of income of 65k a year for prior 3 years but no mention of working in Thailand, presumably this could be pension or investment income?)

You probably are reading this outdated document from 2003 that no longer applies. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/1.2.2-Notification-of-Immigration-Commissionมีครุฑ.pdf

They stopped accepting applications under this "2.3 Humanitarian reasons as follows:" in it in 2009 or before. I am not sure anybody ever got PR under that category. Not sure why immigration still has it on their website.

Look at this and you will see it requires working for 3 years for marriage and does not list the others. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You probably are reading this outdated document from 2003 that no longer applies. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/1.2.2-Notification-of-Immigration-Commissionมีครุฑ.pdf

They stopped accepting applications under this "2.3 Humanitarian reasons as follows:" in it in 2009 or before. I am not sure anybody ever got PR under that category. Not sure why immigration still has it on their website.

Look at this and you will see it requires working for 3 years for marriage and does not list the others. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

It  was the older document which the news article linked to, which is indeed older.   But not under Humanitarian reasons. It was  described under Investment category 2.1.

Not that I have 10 million  baht to invest...just curious.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not that I have 10 million  baht to invest...just curious.

Under humanitarian reasons :

3.3.2.  One party or both parties must earn much enough to provide patronage or having annual income of at least Baht 30,000 per month in average, for at least 2 consecutive years before the date of application submission and evidence of tax return is required.

was a time this would have interested me but as I'll probably be leaving Thailand next year not worth bothering with now.

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But not under Humanitarian reasons. It was  described under Investment category 2.1.

The investment category now requires a work permit. The one from 2003 has probably been rescinded but immigration for some reason has not posted the new one.

The investment category now requires a work permit. The one from 2003 has probably been rescinded but immigration for some reason has not posted the new one.

In that case, that seems to be another benefit of the newly announced (and much snubbed on TVF) TAT program that would offer Elite Card holders a WP if they buy a condo/ invest $1MM USD?  It can put them on a 3 year path to PR that's not available to anyone without a WP...

Or am I interpreting it wrong and giving TAT too much credit?

Edited by impulse

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

In that case, that seems to be another benefit of the newly announced (and much snubbed on TVF) TAT program that would offer Elite Card holders a WP if they buy a condo/ invest $1MM USD?  It can put them on a 3 year path to PR that's not available to anyone without a WP...

I only know what has been in the news about it.

But I doubt it will result in them getting PR.

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I only know what has been in the news about it.

But I doubt it will result in them getting PR.

Most likely not as all benefits would be revoked if investment ceased.

I know of 1 person who got PR based on investment category. That was in 2009 though. Not sure what hoops he went through but we had a chat when I was applying and was surprised to learn late last year that he had it approved, but didn't ask for details.

13 minutes ago, new2here said:

does anyone know or is there an example online to what level of proficiency must the applicant display with reference to their Thai language skills?

You could look in this long ongoing topic about PR or do a post in it.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/

On 9/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, ubonjoe said:

No

I doubt the total applications each year would ever total that much. The chance of you not being able to get it due to your country's quota being reached is very small I would say.

I got PR 22+ years ago. For that year the total approved, from Australia was 5 people.

Total number of applicants from Aust. for that year I don't know except that it was more then 25, because when I applied I had the interview about 20 minutes after I lodged the documents.

The senior interviewing officer spoke perfect English he was quite professional, good listener and friendly, the whole interview was quite long and was in English. (I'm aware there's now a Thai language test.)

He mentioned I was the 25th applicant by that date, from Aust. for that year. He also revealed that most applications had been submitted by Thai lawyers within a few days after applications opened. 

My application was (from memory) 2 or 3 weeks after it opened, so it was 2 to 3 months (not sure) before applications closed. It's anybody's guess how many more (more than 25) applied up to the closing date. A wild guess might be extra 20 (just a wild guess). 

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

1. 100 persons of each nationality,

They do this every so often so----best to get a passport from Nauru (pop 10K) or Tuvalu, which are easy to get for next time.

It is same every year since that is written in the immigration act.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, impulse said:

Does anyone publish a list showing the number of applicants from each country over the years? 

It would be useful to determine whether it's worth going through the application process.  For example, if there were 8000 applicants from my home country and only 100 selected, that's one thing.  If there were 120 applicants and 100 accepted, that's a whole different ballgame.

I don't see any difference. You still wouldn't be accepted. 555555555555

I doubt it. I suspect most countries do not get anywhere near the 100 application limit.

When I applied in December 2007, I was number 37 from the UK to apply. I very much doubt that they got 100 applicants from the UK.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, new2here said:

does anyone know or is there an example online to what level of proficiency must the applicant display with reference to their Thai language skills?

It's pretty basic stuff...what do you do? where do you live etc etc.

8 minutes ago, mr mr said:

it would be super amazing if say you were married to a thai you could go ahead and apply. sort of like my thai wife did when we went to canada. 

You can if you are working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 consecutive years.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, ubonjoe said:

Basically you have to be working with a work permit, paying taxes and be on extensions of stay for 3 consecutive years to apply.

There would be plenty of retirees who would be delighted to have this option available, and let me suggest we are probably bringing in just as much money as someone working here.