Thai PM wants all tourists to wear wristbands - we're not opening the floodgates

webfact

"Tourists must wear a wristband"?   What will THAT do?   Shouldn't he just focus on making sure they don't have the virus when they enter???   What does it matter where someone is from...as long as they conform to a protocol confirming they are clean of the virus, what does it matter what country they are from????   Draconian, and so destructive to Thailand's economy and way of life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the views of Thai people were important in opening up the country at all. 

But he suggested that people who didn't want the country opened were not those suffering in the decimated tourist industry.

And yet again, Mr. P, since you don't seem to get it, that's basically 85% of the people in the country who don't have anything to do with the foreign tourist business saying that they don't agree with you and don't want the country to reopen its borders yet, but you've decided only to listen to the 15% who do work in the industry. Stupid is as stupid does, If the electoral system here wasn't hopelessly gerrymandered you would have no choice but to listen to the vast majority.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

How would they know who the tourists who are supposed to wear bands are vs the expats who are already here ? I could make a band out of Chang poptops is that would help.

Dont worry.. No problem.. Next order will be that ALL expats in Thailand have to wear the bands.

• Like 1

It will be a white arm band with a jewish symbol on it.  

I mean really, this entire idea of letting tourists in is so preposterous, so ridiculous, so ill thought out, and so outrageous it's literally comedy to come here and read this.  

Anyone - anyone - who is stupid enough to go to Thailand for a vacation spending all this time in five star quarantine with bands playing that trash bass music out your window for 14 days, being tracked, and doing what - sitting in a country where everything is closed - is enjoyable?  I think the only people foolish enough to do it are people who don't travel so much, like mainland Chinese or Indian.  

I wouldn't go if it was free.  

• Like 2

Considering where these people are coming from I personally think tracking their movements is not that bad of an idea.  

Most of us with cell phones can already be tracked.

Them going in malls that require name and phone could be interesting.  I guess it will be name and GPS number

8 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Well they have wanted this for a few years now. How long before it's made mandatory for all Visa's? Thank god we left in 2019. Wake up expats: 800k of your money you cant really touch, compulsory health insurance tethering in the pipeline for all visas and now watch this branding and tracking stupidity tricke down all visas unless its stopped now. Be careful because if an exodus starts to increase watch how taking your money out of the country becomes impossible.  Anyone thinking or planning to retire to thailand is mad.

Oh absolutely.

Large corporations that give big $$$ to people would be safe but the average expat would never be safe.  

I'd have to say that someone would be stupid to put money into Thailand and expect that it's somehow safe.  I mean 40 million tourists evaporated, 18-20 percent of GDP literally gone (including spinoff business) and there won't be a problem this time next year when a vaccine is brought out?  The whole world needs to get inoculated and this could take five years.  

I would personally run.  This is a hurt that has only just started.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

just keep piling on more obstacles; then wonder why so few tourists are interested

If ever the Thai government tells me to wear a gps thing on myself, besides the 90-day idiocy, I am gone.

I am not a bloody criminal!!!

Now what would they say if the EU makes it a law that all Thai must wear a ankle band and can only go to another country if all extensive paperwork is in order, and of course all the paperwork to come back is also ok.

Mind if something is not ok, the blacklist is ready, so is the prison and a huge fine, and of course very, very expensive quarantine.

• Like 2

He could have worded the reasons for wearing one a little more conspicuously couldnt he? I mean blatantly saying your movements will/can be closely monitored is admitting they intend watching you!! Maybe if he would have said they will be necessary in tracking previous movements/whereabouts in the unfortunate event you should become ill might have been better advised. 

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

If anyone hasn't yet grasped that Thailand with its enormous financial reserves can keep the borders closed for decades should they so choose, then you have now

You can come in but the restrictions will be so onerous that no one will. Thank you for your past custom x

Well it's sound quite strange that the tourist companies, hotels and so on that are going to shut down, and those who are starving, are not benefiting from these enormous financial reserves