Trump plans to slash U.S. refugee admissions to new low

webfact

30 minutes ago, Enzian said:

What's the end game? you all want everyone in the <deleted> world to move here? And where did I sign up for this "moral duty"? 

My son in CA pointed out to me on the phone yesterday that in the 90s I was making $40/hr as a B license carpenter self-employed, and now his friends doing the same kind of work are getting like $27 and $35 per hour for the same kind of work, 25 years and inflation later. And we all know the reason, Central America and Mexico. And to be honest, I'd rather hire those guys than the average Americans, but that should never have been our choice. End of rant.

Think you will find the aim for trump's edict is UNHCR vetted refugees for resettlement, where the greatest numbers of refugees originate, though will have a flow on effect on Latinos. A number of UNHCR vetted refugees are Christian, so it will be interesting to see the US evangelical response who so far seem to have supported trump without question i.e. their hypocrisy concerning trump's unchristian policies to date.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Deli said:

1 is already 1 too many. Look what happened to Europe, once they opened the floos gates.

Entirely different situation. Resettlement refugees are fully vetted by UNHCR and US government agencies and visas for entry will manage the flow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcsmith said:

That's the most un-American statement ever. Immigration was a pillar of America. 

Previous immigrants were needed to tame this country. To supply man power for the industrial revolution. There were restrictions. Have you seen pics of Ellis Is. and how folks were treated. We are a land of immigrants who were needed for their labor. Folks to do labor not in much demand these days. If they can't be of service to this country, why should they come here.

26 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Previous immigrants were needed to tame this country. To supply man power for the industrial revolution. There were restrictions. Have you seen pics of Ellis Is. and how folks were treated. We are a land of immigrants who were needed for their labor. Folks to do labor not in much demand these days. If they can't be of service to this country, why should they come here.

I think you are getting mixed up between immigrants and refugees.   Refugees are people fleeing a country because of persecution.   They do not necessarily wish to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Scott said:

I think you are getting mixed up between immigrants and refugees.   Refugees are people fleeing a country because of persecution.   They do not necessarily wish to leave.

I still want to know the end game and why the US in its current form is obligated to relieve the suffering of the world, and why it is some but not others. Next door in Burma there are millions treated badly and could make a good case to relocate; I've met some in the border camps. The pollution in Manila shortens one's life by many years and gives reason to relocate. The evil of Hun Sen gives grounds to relocate at least a couple of million of Cambodians. I don't trust the whole process; it's token virtue signaling at best.

3 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I still want to know the end game and why the US in its current form is obligated to relieve the suffering of the world, and why it is some but not others. Next door in Burma there are millions treated badly and could make a good case to relocate; I've met some in the border camps. The pollution in Manila shortens one's life by many years and gives reason to relocate. The evil of Hun Sen gives grounds to relocate at least a couple of million of Cambodians. I don't trust the whole process; it's token virtue signaling at best.

Refugees are people who have a well-founded fear of persecution.  It has to fall into one of the 5 categories.  Because your poor or life is difficult or unpleasant does not qualify you.   But either way, the US President sets the number of REFUGEES who are admitted.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Enzian said:

In my opinion, by allowing a few refugees in, the western world is using that as an excuse not to do anything about the tragic situation in some countries that make some choose to leave and move to a richer safer country.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In my opinion, by allowing a few refugees in, the western world is using that as an excuse not to do anything about the tragic situation in some countries that make some choose to leave and move to a richer safer country.

trump is also cutting foreign aid

• Like 1

22 hours ago, simple1 said:

trump is also cutting foreign aid

I'm sure you are aware that the US is in debt to the tune of several trillion $. Trump's responsibility is to the people of the US, not foreign citizens, IMO.

The US is not responsible for the whole world, IMO.

In the wake of corona economic destruction I expect many western countries will be reducing or eliminating their foreign aid as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sure you are aware that the US is in debt to the tune of several trillion $. Trump's responsibility is to the people of the US, not foreign citizens, IMO.

The US is not responsible for the whole world, IMO.

In the wake of corona economic destruction I expect many western countries will be reducing or eliminating their foreign aid as well.

Unless much mistaken, Trump's policies made this debt grow. A lot. Trying to paint him as someone who is acquainted with the concept of fiscal responsibility is rich. And that's ignoring the way he handled his own various scams business ventures.

• Like 2