U.S. President Trump and Melania test positive for COVID-19

webfact

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The  election is underway. Too late to  delay.

on the ticker ..

Two R senators on the judiciary committee for the Supreme Court are now positive.  Jared was with Hope Hicks with no masks so who knows.   
-He- (Mr T) was taken by helicopter to Walter Reed when it’s only 7 or 8 miles away.  A good photo op I’m sure was the reason.

Meanwhile in news that matters. Can the Squawks get pressure with a four man rushes vs The Porpoises  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

Sorry, I'm finding it difficult to muster any sympathy.  All year he has refused to wear a mask and, worse, made wearing a mask a badge of disloyalty to him.  So utterly ridiculous that wearing a mask became politicized in America, thanks to Trump.  A leader leads by example.  How many fewer deaths would America have if Trump had worn a mask from Day 1 and repeatedly stressed the importance of nationwide mask usage when in public.   Instead, 200,000 dead, the worst record in the World. 

Sorry, no sympathy for someone so completely selfish.  You wear a mask not just to protect yourself but to also protect others from yourself.  A President comes into contact with hundreds and hundreds of people--especially in an election year.  So selfish to expose all those people--and then all the people they come in contact with, including loved ones--just to make some sort of ignorant, misguided point--I'm not even sure what.  Perhaps just vanity.  Not liking the look--how many times has he viciously ridiculed how Biden looks every time he is seen wearing a mask.  I think the last time he even criticized and ridiculed the size of the mask.  Sorry, no sympathy for someone so disdainful, so reckless, so selfish, so willfully ignorant, and so willing to put the health of so many others at grave risk.

Not having sympathy is one thing, to wish ill is quite another. Perhaps sometime in your life you have said to yourself that you should have known better and indeed, not been sympathetic towards yourself. But by the same token you haven't wished yourself ill tidings. To wish ill tidings is to go beyond lack of sympathy. You haven't done that. Your comment is a legitimate criticism with which others can debate. Pity others didn't comment in the same way.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

This is so. I am not American but my politics do veer slightly to the Right but that's based on Party Policies and not personal characteristics of the candidates. Certainly, Pres. Trump can be criticised for a personal apparent lack of consideration for Nature but I feel sure he knew the risks. Nature is something we have to live with and we must use preventative measures, if available, as protection.

Some posters on the thread seem to be glad that Pres. Trump has contracted a potentially dangerous, certainly contagious, virus and such comments are tantamount to condoning the spreading of the same and shows a lack of personal esteem and integrity. I do not like to see anyone suffer diseases no matter what their personal inclinations are. It's rather like the Thai road 'carnage'. I, like many TV members, have criticised the driving but I have never been glad that a driver has died as a result of inconsiderate driving. Just a feeling sadness and that it could have prevented.

oh, no....same-same but different.

this would be tantamount to the thai national traffic safety director telling the public that drunk driving is a hoax, cutting the budget for traffic cops, rewriting the rules to prevent the remaining cops from going on patrol, banning the use of breathalyzers, promoting amulets as sobriety devices, all the while accepting donations via brown envelopes from the liquor industry.

so certainly there would be a bit of schadenfreude when he or one of his family are injured by a drunk driver.

Edited by ChouDoufu

15 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Gotta laugh though, the guy who has repeatedly claimed the ill health of his opponent is the one who is in the hospital.

I don't think the term "drug test" has been in the news since the debate.

Saw a clip of Biden making a speech today, he jogged up to the microphone.  Jogged.  I'd think DT saw this clip and it raised his fever. 

You know what got Trump? To many tests, then you have to many cases. They are way better off than any other country. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

the candidate(s) would be replaced by their respective political committees.  any electors won by the deceased would be requested, although not required in most states, to cast their ballot for the replacement candidate.

representative democracy can get messy.

That sounds right, but doesn't solve all problems.

Here's a hypothetical:  What if, in a red state, Trump dies after 30% of voters voted for him.  The Republican Party gets a replacement on the ballot (no idea how) and 30% of the state votes for the replacement.  The remaining 40% of the state votes for Biden. 

That would be 60% of the state for one of the Republicans, but with Biden getting more votes than either Republican name.  If the laws of the state are not very clear, I assume there would be a messy court battle.  If the laws of the state make it clear that Biden should get that states electors, I would also expect a messy court battle.

All of this is hypothetical, and probably won't happen.  It will get ugly if it does.

Edited by heybruce

2 hours ago, J Town said:

THAT'S a VERY good question, and many legal minds much smarter than me are pondering this and similar questions. We're in uncharted waters!

I'm not expert, but I'm pretty sure that once a vote is cast it can not be changed in any state.

Dead people have even been elected, as recently as 2018:   https://apnews.com/article/afd73fee87e5442ca72b7179c593089e

Edited by heybruce
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

That sounds right, but doesn't solve all problems.

Here's a hypothetical:  What if, in a red state, Trump dies after 30% of voters voted for him.  The Republican Party gets a replacement on the ballot (no idea how) and 30% of the state votes for the replacement.  The remaining 40% of the state votes for Biden. 

That would be 60% of the state for one of the Republicans, but with Biden getting more votes than either Republican name.  If the laws of the state are not very clear, I assume there would be a messy court battle.  If the laws of the state make it clear that Biden should get that states electors, I would also expect a messy court battle.

remember, it's messy.

most electors are not obligated to vote for the candidate they have been assigned to.

states are not obligated to follow the popular vote, the governor or legislature can override and vote to assign their electoral votes to whomever they choose.

expect court battles whatever happens.  this will be one long, drawn-out election!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

I believe some ballots have already been cast, either through early voting or by post. If Mr Trump is replaced either by Mr Pence or another candidate, how will votes for Mr Trump be counted?

Yes, in some states the election has begun.  Some states have no polls: they mail you the ballot (if you're registered) and you return it either in a drop box or the post.  Oregon does this, ballots to be out sent on October 12.  That business about  the postal system not being able to handle all the ballots is a horsepile, Americans mail out more xmas cards than ballots. 

I guess if he died before the election they could still vote for him, and if a victory the party would assign a stooge the president.  Scary?  President Grassley?  Be sure there would be a bloody battle among the GOP, every man for himself and god against all.  Image a full-on party dipstick like Jim Jordan coming out on top. 

And then there is if he wins the election but dies before inauguration.  It could result in one of those peculiar instances where (dear GOP readers: brace yourself for an involuntary diarrhetic response) the Speaker of the House becomes president.

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Looks like the Rose Garden event last Saturday, to confirm Barrett's nomination to the Supreme Court is the source of infection. Now six attendees have Covid. Why hasn't Billy Baa got it? There's still time, I suppose or is he the asymptomatic superspreader?

He has tested negative, but will be interesting once they have identified the source.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Afaik it was only Melania who wore a mask on entering, the others didn't, and yes, of course all including Melania refused to wear one once seated, even after being requested to wear one.

Im sure Melania would have used mask if it was up to her to decide! 

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I don't see where the poster you responded to, said he wished ill on the POTUS, so that is something you just made up to get some likes from the ignorant Trump base on this forum.

And you succeeded in that, as I see your post was like by someone who said he had no problem wishing ill right in the eyes of the relatives of the 200.000 people who died off the virus in the US.

Can people actually get more disgusting?

image.png.b744211d52b7dd759c014bd6ac03000a.png

Read Posts #480 where  stevenl  said that he didn't wish Pres Trump dead but wished him seriously ill. My reply was #488. So I didn't make it up but perhaps you need new glasses, eh?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1