Video: Train crosses tracks where there is no barrier - loud music on merit makers' bus

webfact

7 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... huh? What's that supposed to mean, looks fairly legit to me, leveled out and with Stop signs and all ...??

And how many more are 'not registered' ...?! 

yes, my thoughts as well. Unregistered railway level crossings - UNBELIEVABLE!

• Like 1

As an example of "Thainess", NOW the transport ministry orders all crossings to have barriers and lightsignals....! That´s good,of course,( if it actually will happen,which I doubt),but it doesn´t save those people,and others before them,who already had accidents. As others here have remarked,it is another "Thainess" thing,not to care too much about trafficrules ,so perhaps it won´t help much anyway...

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Speculation should be running rife about his eyesight also. How can you not see a train? It's pretty large after all and when crossing train tracks it should at least be a consideration to look to see if it is safe to cross.

SRT rules currently state that there is no mandatory requirement to have headlights on during daytime. Normally in other countries  headlights must be on at all times and at high beam when not crossing another train. There is an obvious  reason for these rules. 

Speculation should be running rife about his eyesight also. How can you not see a train? It's pretty large after all and when crossing train tracks it should at least be a consideration to look to see if it is safe to cross.

Dark tints on the windows, stickers, sunshades, objects on the dash and hanging from the mirrors could obstruct the driver's vision. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dannyxyz said:

It's crazy how such very dark tints are even allowed in Thailand considering the fact that so many people die in accidents because they couldn't see.

Very dark windows are illegal, but whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

In much of the US, it's law that buses come to a stop, then proceed across railroad crossing. Of course, just like all other traffic laws, it would be ignored in Thailand.

One on my favorite "stupid bus tricks" was sitting across 3 rail lines, waiting a good period for a green at the Yommarat interchange!

Yommarat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

State Railway of Thailand governor Nirut Maneephan was on the scene and confirmed there was no barrier as that crossing was not registered. 

... huh? What's that supposed to mean, looks fairly legit to me, leveled out and with Stop signs and all ...??

And how many more are 'not registered' ...?! 

Loose translation. Means uncontrolled or unmanned.

Do Thai drivers, be it motorcycle, car or truck exercise such caution and look left and right when crossing over or through anything? Next time you come to an unmanned level crossing out in Bhan Nawk, wait until the yellow lights start flashing and the warning sounds start then drive up onto the crown of the tracks, stop and get back with us about how large a train looks end-on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Broken railway signal, lack of gate blamed for deadly accident in Chachoengsao killing 18

By The Nation

800_0309481790ef921.jpg

The tragic accident on Sunday in Chachoengsao province that left 18 people dead on Sunday, when a train rammed into a tourist bus, stemmed from a broken crossing signal and the lack of the gate, the Department of Rail Transport said.

High-ranking officials, including Pichet Kunadhamraks, the department’s deputy direct-general, and Nirut Maneephan, governor of the State Railway of Thailand, visited the accident site.

They found that the broken signal was the reason why a freight train transporting containers crashed into a bus with 60 passengers.

Twent-nine people were injured.

The department is studying guidelines to lessen accidents on railroad crossings.

Meanwhile, Transport Minister Saksiam Chidchob confirmed that the SRT's budget for installing gates at railroad crossings had been cut by the panel studying the draft of Budget Procedures Act for fiscal 2020.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396054

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-12

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The driver of the Laem Chabang to Lat Krabang train with 50 containers, Wirawat Worawong, said he saw the bus approach the crossing and pass over.

He sounded his whistle and turned on headlights but the bus did not stop and he was unable to brake in time, reported 77kaoded. 

just wondering.

does he not normally sound the whistle when approaching a crossing?  or only when he sees a bus crossing the tracks?

and why, oh why, weren't the headlights already on?!!  saving fuel?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Dannyxyz said:

Blame the dark window tints that makes everything look the same color and when you're not paying attention it's hard to notice anything coming from the side of the vehicle. It's crazy how such very dark tints are even allowed in Thailand considering the fact that so many people die in accidents because they couldn't see.

how do you know this, did someone ask them before they died.

35 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

It is noted from the OP that the train driver said:   “He saw the bus approach the crossing and pass over it.  He sounded his whistle and turned on headlights…..”

I thought that it was normal practice for trains to display white lights at the front (and red at the rear) when the train is operational regardless of the time of day, and for the driver to sound his whistle/horn as he approaches a crossing which in this case was very close to a station.

Looking at the video (several times), and several still pictures posted on various media sources, it appears that the bus windows had dark film applied.  In fact, they look very dark.

Having travelled on similar buses in the past, I seem to recall that where passengers enter at the front of the bus on the left-hand side there is a ‘dickey seat’ which is used by the second driver or tour guide when the bus is moving.

Given the dark glass and the possibility of the driver’s view to his left may have been obstructed by someone sitting to his left, it is possible, albeit remotely, that the driver did not see the train approaching, bearing in mind what the train driver said about sounding his whistle and turning on his headlights when he saw the bus approach the crossing and pass over it.  I thought that it was normal practice for trains to have white lights displayed at the front and red at the rear, regardless of the time of day, and that the driver should sound his whistle/horn as he approaches a crossing, which in this case was very close to a station.  I know, TIT so the normal does not apply.

This does not negate the fact that the bus driver should have stopped short of the crossing to double check for any approaching trains.

A very tragic and unnecessary loss of life.  The trouble is that it will all be forgotten by this next week and nothing will be done to reduce the risk of it happening again elsewhere.

I dread to think what will happen if Thailand ever gets high speed trains.

I thought this  and I thought that .  Why should a train have a head lite on all the time? And why should all crossings be protected?  Why are these people taking a long bus ride to some temple far away from home to do what they could do close to home, why why why the lament of tv posters

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

...it is possible, albeit remotely, that the driver did not see the train approaching, ...

Only possible? It's pretty darn certain that the bus driver didn't see anything approaching otherwise he wouldn't have been hit by the train.

• Like 1

First of all R.I.P to all the people who died,very sad very very sad indeed.

Just looked at the threads,or lack of,on the tires..or maybe i'm wrong..do you guys think like me..maintenance the lack of checkups everything from drivers ability to drive safely,and Police  doesn't seems to care,pay attation to check if rules are followed..ie..how many people the vehicle are allowed to have..busses,schoolbusses and more..20 years of living here fulltime and what have change,maybe i can see more people using helmets now..but that's pretty much it.

Suddenly now they have money to ugrade EVERY crossing,every..why not before?

R.I.P again to all the people who only wanted to go to the Tempel.

• Like 1

I have a feeling the bus driver knew the train was approaching but thought he could make it across. As the guy lined up to cross a small crossing he would have seen the train, unless his eyes were shot, which wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Cannot even get the facts straight. Other reports say there was no signals, lights etc at the crossing. Now saying they are broken. these are like everything else in Thailand. No responsibility, no maintenance. this is because no brown envelopes come with these basic jobs. Do the Thais know what a job description is or a performance appraisal. Guess not, doomed to ongoing failure. Buy your way into the job regardless of qualifications and then settle in to 12 hours of sleeping and dreaming on the job every day.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

No responsibility, no maintenance. this is because no brown envelopes come with these basic jobs.

Enough with the hackneyed brown envelope nonsense. They are simply too lazy to do any servicing, with the attitude of 'if it's working we don't have to do anything'.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They found that the broken signal was the reason why a freight train transporting containers crashed into a bus with 60 passengers.

No no no no no. The reason it happened is because the bus driver drove onto a crossing without looking. I've long realised that many Thais seem to have a problem with double-tasking. They can't steer and look at the same time, in this case. And how often do we read of people not braking before an accident happens. Same thing. Trying to steer out of the way and brake at the same time is beyond their capabilities.

15 hours ago, 007 RED said:

I thought that it was normal practice for trains to display white lights at the front (and red at the rear) when the train is operational regardless of the time of day, and for the driver to sound his whistle/horn as he approaches a crossing which in this case was very close to a station.

This all depends on the rules and regulations Thailand State Railways run under regarding this statement. It could be that the rules say a white light being displayed to the front during daylight, like sidelights, then headlights at night.

Sounding the horn could be only if they see a vehicle near to an open crossing or if they have a whistle board.

Being an ex train driver in the UK, we did not have headlights until 1990/1991 and all there was lit up to the front at night was the destination blind on the Southern Region!!     

Stop, look left, look right then left again ,,,,if all clear then proceed.......... Basic roadcode

Hundreds of rail crossings in NZ & the UK without flashing lights but big stop signs & X signs.

If you cannot see or hear you should not be driving a public service vehicle