Butter, Margarine or Fat Spread - What is the healthier option?

ravip

I was reading through some articles about Butter, Margarine and Fat Spread.

Going back in time, Butter was the favourite. Then came margarine - offered as a healthier option to the beloved butter!

And now comes the 'fat spread', slowly pushing the margarine out!

So... what could be considered the 'healthier' option for our daily bread?

And why?

8 hours ago, impulse said:

When did it go out?

Too many carbs, makes you fat, kills your brain cells, stuffs up your liver at the moment, but someone will do a study using 3 people from Outer Mongolia that proves beer (except Chang) is a magic elixa that makes you live forever. 

• Haha 1

There is an extremely heavy tome issued by the WHO entitled " Food, Nutrition and Cancer". It cites all the clinical studies of the various forms of cancer since Adam was a pup. It identifies factors that statistically have contributed to elevated levels of cancer of every type.

In just about every form of cancer there is, high fat and alcohol intake are predisposing attributes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Too many carbs, makes you fat, kills your brain cells, stuffs up your liver at the moment, but someone will do a study using 3 people from Outer Mongolia that proves beer (except Chang) is a magic elixa that makes you live forever. 

Couldn't agree more... that Chang will kill ya!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There is an extremely heavy tome issued by the WHO entitled " Food, Nutrition and Cancer". It cites all the clinical studies of the various forms of cancer since Adam was a pup. It identifies factors that statistically have contributed to elevated levels of cancer of every type.

In just about every form of cancer there is, high fat and alcohol intake are predisposing attributes.

It's not that simple, however. Death By Food Pyramid  reviewed here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I used to visit a Naturopath in Australia and she said stay away from margarine. Even though butter has a lot fat it is the closest thing to natural product.

Yes, this is also what I have heard and read about.

But as usual, with time, confusion has started! Hence my post here to find different opinions.

Just now, ravip said:

Yes, this is also what I have heard and read about.

But as usual, with time, confusion has started! Hence my post here to find different opinions.

The problem on here is most is just personal opinion and not medically based.

I also read that margarine is one molecule away from plastic but as I am not qualified in that area I won't comment.

• Like 2

Good old fashion Butter. I do not care how they try and copy the taste, Its never even close.

As a few said above your health, age, activity level and consumption have a huge impact on which one might be "Safer" for the individual. Moderation plays a key role in it as well. How often do you use butter or other spreads? I usually enjoy butter once or twice a week. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

The problem on here is most is just personal opinion and not medically based.

I also read that margarine is one molecule away from plastic but as I am not qualified in that area I won't comment.

One molecule away from plastic is very close to the mark. Margarine is, like plastic, a left over from oil refining.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 9:56 PM, impulse said:

The current favorite of health nuts (and experts) is clarified butter.   But that seems to change every few years.

I'm still waiting for the day they tell us the perfect health food is a greasy double cheeseburger with extra fried onions and mushrooms.

But for a perfect healthy balance it should be accompanied by a pint of good beer or a decent bottle of wine.

• Haha 1