Did I get a surprise when I bought the wrong diesel!

Grumpy John

If B7 is phased out that will make it difficult to get diesel that runs well in my pick-up.  I wouldn't know where to go to buy good diesel!  Maybe the good diesel repair shop in Phichit can help me find a solution.  Maybe some sort of additive that works like an octane additive in a petrol engine???

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I purposely filled with B10 last week. Haven't noticed any difference in performance or consumption except in my wallet. 2012 Vigo.

Same with my Ranger 2013, about same performance, not sure about consumption as I don't monitor it that much.

OP what vehicle do you have?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I pulled into the Bangchak at Wang Thong and got 700 baht worth of diesel and the gauge went to the top white bar.  Wifey said it showed 38L on the pump.  Normally it takes 1100 baht to get it over the top white bar. 

Must have really been ages that you filled up tank last time, because there is no 40% difference in price between regular and B10.

It must be almost a year ago now that regular diesel would set you back 1100 Baht for 38 liter

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Same with my Ranger 2013, about same performance, not sure about consumption as I don't monitor it that much.

OP what vehicle do you have?

It's a Mitsubishi Strada with the old style diesel engine.  The next model with the funny curved bodywork in the side of the cab back end has a totally different engine which runs on any diesel so I have been told.  If I'd known the clowns in government would start playing games with the fuel in the future I would have paid the extra for the ugly one!  ????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

I doubt that such effects can be caused by B10 instead of B7 diesel, something else must have been off.

Don't know about that!  After I had the engine rebuilt last year I took it to the diesel shop in Phichit and they had it running great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Susco said:

Must have really been ages that you filled up tank last time, because there is no 40% difference in price between regular and B10.

It must be almost a year ago now that regular diesel would set you back 1100 Baht for 38 liter

"there is no 40% difference in price"  That wasn't what I meant. Looking back I may have confused people. When I purchased the 700 baht of B10 the gauge went to the top white line on the gauge.  If I filled it up it would have gone over the top white line and hit the gauge limit which would account for the extra money in the OP.  Even if I had an extreme fill-up at 3 baht difference it's still only 150 baht between the 2.

The wife just said to me it was 36L not 38L.   And a year ago a fill up to pussies bow was around 1400! 

The only place I know to get premium diesel is Shell.

11 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

The wife just said to me it was 36L not 38L. 

700 Baht would buy you approx 36 liters of B7, which has been called diesel tamada since 2017 I think.

PTT has premium diesel, as you can see from the link Crossy posted, but probably not at every location

9 hours ago, transam said:

What make and year is your truck...?

Where I live, all the pumps, in all the garages are clearly marked, even in English, except the one that still use a hand pump.......????

1696889960_PETROL8b33922u1_3.jpg.8c512584a3f3ce28aa1916c172b34ef2.jpg

Filledv up my civic with the hand pumped variety in western kanchanaburi a couple of years ago. close to the Burmese border. Never seen one of them before. Was worried that the fuel may be contaminated, but the car ran fine. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 10:04 PM, Crossy said:

B10 is going to be the New Normal, but most reasonably modern (2012 ish) engines can handle it, as can really ancient indirect-injection types (like the Kubota iron buffaloes). One of the locals buys (yes, buys) the used cooking oil from local restaurants, filters it and mixes 50-50 with pump diesel. Apart from the exhaust smelling of fried fish his ancient Nissan truck runs just fine on it. He also sells the filtered product on to the local farmers, there's a reason those diesel pumps smell of fish.

If your truck doesn't like it there's likely a mod available (ECU remap) that will fix it. If your local diesel chap can't sort it have a word with a branch of The ECU Shop.

@Grumpy John what's the vehicle in question?

I can't speak for other brands but at PTT stations the pumps that simply say "diesel" are B10, the B7 pumps are labelled as such.

I understand that the used cooking oil trick doesn't work well in modern direct injection diesels, only in old fashioned indirect injection ones.

I have a 2002 Isuzu SLX Space Cab with the 3 litre Dragon Motor and I used to use just the normal diesel at what ever pump I stopped at but now I only use B10 and there is no difference in performance but there is a difference in the pocket. I save money using B10. 

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

I have a 2002 Isuzu SLX Space Cab with the 3 litre Dragon Motor and I used to use just the normal diesel at what ever pump I stopped at but now I only use B10 and there is no difference in performance but there is a difference in the pocket. I save money using B10. 

But, it may eat fuel lines etc, block filter....You must do some homework or it could end up costly...

My chum has 2012 Isuzu 3ltr, I can't remember what B fuel he asked me about, but I found he could not use it, fuel lines had to be replaced first...

On 11/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, transam said:

What make and year is your truck...?

Where I live, all the pumps, in all the garages are clearly marked, even in English, except the one that still use a hand pump.......????

1696889960_PETROL8b33922u1_3.jpg.8c512584a3f3ce28aa1916c172b34ef2.jpg

Isn't the hand pump the most common one in the bars Patpong???? 5555

• Like 2

On 11/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, Grumpy John said:

I usually fill up the pick-up at Esso garage in Wang Sai Phun or from the Esso tanker that comes around...on occasion but it's generally at the garage.  The other day I was going to Muang Phitsanulok and looked at the fuel gauge and it's on the Red.  I pulled into the Bangchak at Wang Thong and got 700 baht worth of diesel and the gauge went to the top white bar.  Wifey said it showed 38L on the pump.  Normally it takes 1100 baht to get it over the top white bar.  Turns out I had B10!  Absolute rubbish it is.  From the moment I got back on the highway I was blowing black smoke in ridiculous amounts.  Plus the performance was off, the pick-up felt gutless.  We went to Immigration then back to Macro and then on to Esso at Wang Sai Phun.  By the gauge half a tank of diesel had gone!  Normally less than a quarter tank for the same distance.  Filled it with B7 and the difference was instantly much better.  Still got some B10 <deleted> in it but it should be all gone soon.  I won't make that mistake again!

B10 Verboten huh ...  I thought we only had normal and extra diesel (doesnt seem to do much)  thanks for the tip..

Same as with gasoline in which they put ethanol, they mix bio diesel with normal diesel.

Thailand wants to keep palmoil business alive, as i red, so bio diesel from palmoil is promoted.

Tough bio diesel can also be made from animals fat and also from old oil.

Not every car is driving well on it and can have power loss and more problems. Same as with gasoline.

Also your tank is getting empty more fast then normal. As bio diesel has less more energy.

All for global report numbers to show, governments are working on CO2 and NO reductions and with mixing they get some 

lower emissions. No fossil fuel , but "green" fuel.

You need for the process to make "green" diesel quite some dangerous substances, but never the less CO2 levels are more circular with growing and burning then. I wonder how CO2, NO neutral it is to make the bio diesel.

Governments dont care you pay more for less and if your car cant handle it, thats your concern.

Buy a new car, so the old one is going to the scraps.

As i red in wikipedia, the bio diesel can give more Cytotoxines, guess also normal diesel, which effects your immune system.

Wondering how long it takes they will find out people are suffering more from that. 

We had that also with lead in our gasoline once and finally stopped it. OK they put other substances to it, are they right?  

However business still has to  run for all those big companies, the rich people, and the common people just have to do with what ever is coming up.

Once i red about an engine , it could run on any fuel, the efficiency  was even better then the diesel. The patent is in hands of a Belgian person. Just lying there on a shelf. Hold by a company? Many inventions are hold back, just to not intrude with existing systems today, it would cost money for that rich system.

23 hours ago, transam said:

But, it may eat fuel lines etc, block filter....You must do some homework or it could end up costly...

My chum has 2012 Isuzu 3ltr, I can't remember what B fuel he asked me about, but I found he could not use it, fuel lines had to be replaced first...

I have been using B10 since it came on the market without a problem with any of the fuel system being eaten or the filters blocked