EU's Barnier says 'very serious' gaps still in Brexit trade talks

webfact

EU's Barnier says 'very serious' gaps still in Brexit trade talks

By John Chalmers and Gabriela Baczynska

2020-11-04T171545Z_1_LYNXMPEGA31EX_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-SOURCES.JPG

FILE PHOTO: European Union's Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier walks at Westminster in London, Britain October 28, 2020. REUTERS/Simon Dawson/File Photo

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union's Brexit negotiator said on Wednesday "very serious divergences" remained in trade talks with Britain and suggested the bloc would rather accept disruptions in commerce in eight weeks' time than yield on its key demands.

Britain left the EU in January and talks on salvaging a trillion dollars worth of annual free trade between the estranged allies are now in their final stretch before London's transition out of the bloc completes on Dec. 31.

"Despite EU efforts to find solutions, very serious divergences remain in level playing field, governance & fisheries. These are essential conditions for any economic partnership," Michel Barnier wrote on Twitter.

"The EU is prepared for all scenarios."

His UK counterpart, David Frost, agreed that "wide divergences remain on some core issues".

"We continue to work to find solutions that fully respect UK sovereignty," he said on Twitter.

The two spoke after two weeks of intensified negotiations failed to yield a breakthrough on the chronic sticking points: fixing new fishing rights, guaranteeing fair-play rules for companies, and agreeing ways to solve any future trade disputes.

During a closed-door briefing with 27 national envoys to EU hub Brussels on Wednesday, Barnier gave no timeline or even any certainty that a trade deal between the bloc and Britain would be clinched by a mid-November deadline, one participant said.

"He was rather uncertain about a deal," said the senior diplomat who spoke under condition of anonymity.

A senior EU official said there had only been "mild progress" in the negotiations, which will continue via video conferencing and then face-to-face in London next week.

"The UK does not seem to be engaging sufficiently on key issues," said another EU diplomat. "Given this situation, a no-deal outcome can't be excluded."

Should Britain and the EU part ways without a new pact to govern ties on anything from trade to energy to social security, the fallout would aggravate economic malaise on both sides induced by the coronavirus pandemic, now in its second wave.

Another senior EU diplomat told of Barnier's latest assessment, said: "The mood wasn't exuberant but it wasn't despondent either. We're not in the home straight but we are in the endgame."

(Reporting by John Chalmers, Jan Strupczewski, Gabriela Baczynska and Philip Blenkinsop in Brussels and William James in London, Writing by Gabriela Baczynska, Editing by Mark Heinrich)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-05

Gap's only ??…."Titanic Size holes " would be better worded.....,???? can never become E.U. parliaments voted …,included many from the 27 member states , with the W.A rewritten one sided ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

UK very lucky to be dealing with Barnier, perfect gentleman, his tenacity dealing with brain dead UK government should be praised

Dealing with a two faced English hating Frog is good? What planet are you on? If Angela Merkel was doing the negotiating then Boris might come to his senses. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

UK very lucky to be dealing with Barnier, perfect gentleman, his tenacity dealing with brain dead UK government should be praised

If the UK gov. were brain dead, the deal would have been easy for the French bloke, would it not....?   ????

You really must get to grips with what's going on, sunbeam.....????

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Yeah. Remember being told BEFORE the BREXIT vote that the UK could "take back control" while still remaining within the Single Market or the Custom's Union.

Oh dear. Another one that wasn't paying attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am rather perplexed.

I read here regularly posts referring to what, one or a another politician said, and considering that as a truth. 

Now I suppose that young, inexperienced, full of optimism, are still convinced that a politician is a trustworthy person. 

Therefore I not understand that, being convinced that the posters here are not rookies, still refer to a politician (whatever tendency he may be) talks as a reference. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Was Cameron part of Vote Leave?

Remainers listened to Cameron and voted accordingly.

Brexiteers chose to ignore or not believe Cameron.

No, Cameron wanted to Remain. I'm surprised you didn't know that but I'm always happy to help with pertinent information when asked politely. FYI he was the Prime Minister who spent millions sending leaflets to the country trying to convince them to Remain. That didn't work out too well for him, obviously.

I listened to Cameron's arguments. When he confirmed that Brexit meant leaving the Single Market I was very happy to hear that. Out means Out as far as I am concerned. No freedom of movement, no CFP, no single market, no customs union, no ECJ, no level playing field, no more transfer of wealth to the basket case southern 'states', no more rule taking. Marvelous.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I am rather perplexed.

I read here regularly posts referring to what, one or a another politician said, and considering that as a truth. 

Now I suppose that young, inexperienced, full of optimism, are still convinced that a politician is a trustworthy person. 

Therefore I not understand that, being convinced that the posters here are not rookies, still refer to a politician (whatever tendency he may be) talks as a reference. 

It is hard to see how the words "politician" and "truth" can be used in the same sentence, along with "morals" and ethics".  When it comes to our politicians in government I fear we really are at the very bottom of the barrel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It is hard to see how the words "politician" and "truth" can be used in the same sentence, along with "morals" and ethics".  When it comes to our politicians in government I fear we really are at the very bottom of the barrel.

Not sure what you mean with "our politicians". For me they are all the same, whatever what nationality or/and tendency. 

For instance, I am Belgian, but I would never trust what Mr. Verhofstadt would tell. 

Despite a very well furnished political career. 

To have some kind of balance, I don't trust Mr. Farage either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

Not sure what you mean with "our politicians". For me they are all the same, whatever what nationality or/and tendency. 

For instance, I am Belgian, but I would never trust what Mr. Verhofstadt would tell. 

Despite a very well furnished political career. 

To have some kind of balance, I don't trust Mr. Farage either. 

I am sure that some would say that me saying "our politicians" is a gross generalisation.  But I can only refer to the politicians in the UK as I have no real knowledge of others.  And even then only the ones that we see or hear from.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Nope.

Trade agreements can still include quotas and tariffs. Thats not what Johnson wants. He wants unrestricted access to the single market. 

Nope. Of course Johnson would accept some quotas and tariffs on certain goods. That's normal for an FTA.

What he doesn't want is continued deference to the ECJ, unfettered access to UK fishing waters for UK vessels, level playing field etc. He's 100% right to refuse that, it's completely unreasonable for the EU to expect us to agree to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1