How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

On 6/10/2022 at 4:29 PM, treetops said:

My big disappointment was Tin Cups on Buakhao seems to have closed and been stripped.  Anyone know if it's closed for good or just being worked on?

On 6/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, petermik said:

Been like that for the past couple of weeks....renovation taking place in their noodle place but whether for them or new owners no-one seems to know.....

Being renovated for the same owners... wait for the newly renovated china cup to be re-opened lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A lot of construction on walking st, Simon bar complex being rebuilt it seems, I'm surprised about that as there wasn't demand for the bars pre-covid. Space next to pinup being renovated

IMG_20220621_080056.jpg

Simon Beer Bar Complex will reopen as 'Frog Land' (by the owner of the Frog Bar), and will be a mix of Beer Bars, Night Club and a Restaurant at the back overlooking the bay.

Edited by TaaSaparot

14 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Simon Beer Bar Complex will reopen as 'Frog Land' (by the owner of the Frog Bar), and will be a mix of Beer Bars, Night Club and a Restaurant at the back overlooking the bay.

Aimed at any particular demographic?

On 6/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, Yellowtail said:

Smart businesses tend to charge what the market will bear. 

It's a race to the bottom here.  The market here will not bear 10 baht more for a beer than the place next door. 

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's a race to the bottom here.  The market here will not bear 10 baht more for a beer than the place next door. 

Yet there are places that are thriving that charge half-again as much as places that are starving.

13 hours ago, champers said:

The French, obviously.

Simply wondering if foreign tourists were being catered to especially or maybe domestic ones.... and if foreign, Oriental or Western.... 

If it is specifically the French how have you determined that?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Simply wondering if foreign tourists were being catered to especially or maybe domestic ones.... and if foreign, Oriental or Western.... 

If it is specifically the French how have you determined that?

That it is to be called "Frog Land" might be something of a hint. 

If it were to be called *Yank Land, what demographic would you think is  being targeted?

*This is a noun, not a verb. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

That it is to be called "Frog Land" might be something of a hint. 

If it were to be called *Yank Land, what demographic would you think is  being targeted?

*This is a noun, not a verb. 

Is this their new logo?

7E11D8A6-67D6-4C4B-B1CC-9ADF1D8EC3AB_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, Yellowtail said:

Yet there are places that are thriving that charge half-again as much as places that are starving.

Wasn't it you who took the urine out of my claim that rents and Thai landlords can make or break a business here, and quite often, they do both? 

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

Wasn't it you who took the urine out of my claim that rents and Thai landlords can make or break a business here, and quite often, they do both? 

Please do not make up things about what I say.

As I have been clear on, any rent can make or break any business, regardless of the nationality of the landlord.  

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Please do not make up things about what I say.

As I have been clear on, any rent can make or break any business, regardless of the nationality of the landlord.  

yes ,  and this is the reason that most businesses have close down.  Landlords become to greedy and the tenant struggles to afford the rental payments.   The thai landlord mentality is ,  they would rather the shop or business close and they receive no rental income for the next 12 months or longer than lower the rent 20-50% .

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ,  and this is the reason that most businesses have close down.  Landlords become to greedy and the tenant struggles to afford the rental payments.   The thai landlord mentality is ,  they would rather the shop or business close and they receive no rental income for the next 12 months or longer than lower the rent 20-50% .

That has not been my experience, but I understand it is a popular excuse for people whose businesses fail. 

If businesses income is cut by 90-100%, as was the case for many over the last couple years, how big a discount should the landlord give to keep the business from failing? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That has not been my experience, but I understand it is a popular excuse for people whose businesses fail. 

If businesses income is cut by 90-100%, as was the case for many over the last couple years, how big a discount should the landlord give to keep the business from failing? 

Well I know of a friend in Oz who had 12 shops being rented and he lowered the rent by 50% for at least a year or longer I believe for every tenant.   At least he was getting 1/2 in rent.

I think a cut by 50%  would be better than no tenant at all,   but Thai mentality is not the same.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well I know of a friend in Oz who had 12 shops being rented and he lowered the rent by 50% for at least a year or longer I believe for every tenant.   At least he was getting 1/2 in rent.

I think a cut by 50%  would be better than no tenant at all,   but Thai mentality is not the same.

Thai landlords have been cutting rents during covid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

not near my soi they haven't ....  you just have to drive along any main road and you will see shop after shop shuttered closed.

Are you talking about Pattaya? I just did 4 months there and honestly it was no different to any pre-covid trip 

(I dIdn't do soi 6-8 or walking street pre-covid so no diference)

Edited by aussiexpat

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

not near my soi they haven't ....  you just have to drive along any main road and you will see shop after shop shuttered closed.

Every business I've seen for sale quotes a covid rent, of course many businesses have closed even with that

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

This could work for businesses that have lost 20-50% of their revenue, but were into what, the third year of this? Do you really think a business that has lost virtually all of it's revenue can afford to continue paying 50% of it's fixed costs indefinitely? I doubt that very much. 

Ironically, the guys that were operating month-to-month with virtually no savings made out the best. 

It amazes me that so many people believe rich Thais are stupid. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

And you blame this not on lack of business, but on greedy, stupid Thai landlords refusing to cut rents, correct?

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And you blame this not on lack of business, but on greedy, stupid Thai landlords refusing to cut rents, correct?

Just to clarify, I'm talking Bangkok ....  I blame both .. lack of customers and greedy landlords,  however if you don't have any customers it doesn't matter if the landlord drops the rent 90% ,   your still losing.

I had a nice restaurant,  thai/chinese landlord would not offer any discount so as to continue through for another year, hence shut shop. 

• Haha 1