Expats hailed! Foreigners living in Thailand called "heroes" for leading the way in Thai tourism recovery

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Does this mean they want us to come back and bring our THB30,000 pension to spend in Thailand each month? Will they be introducing sensible visa rules to make us feel welcome?

Short answer - NO

Longer answer - NO WAY

Even longer comment - Due to various factors we won't go into this will not be possible until Hell freezes over.

• Haha 1

Recognition at last !     Just wind the clock back six years and drop the demands to be a multi millionaire with a private jet then Robert's your fathers brother......... The place would be back to normal overnight.......  Tourist visas and consulate staff that would actually help you rather than try their best to stop you getting a visa..... 

All very easy........

• Like 2

I made a similar thread and many people didn't agree to it. Mine was based on the conversation with a real small business owner in pattaya and he was thankful to the foreign retirees (mainly elder folks and anyone else who didn't leave during the pandemic) . 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1193488-thank-you-farang-retirees/

Edited by lovethai123
  • Like 1

Lovely to hear this but agree with many, the bureaucracy is the real

killer at the moment. Making easier access to work permits, especially

for international teachers, would be a great start - forcing them to cross

a border out of Thailand, quarantine wherever that is, get a new 'proper'

visa at the Thai embassy in that country, get back into Thailand, quarantine

another 14 days and then they will eligible for a work permit - that is absolute

nonsense.  Nevertheless, grateful for a moment when wearen't the

bad guys. 

• Haha 1

Heros ????

More like milk goats.

Was presented with a grin and attached piece of paper when showing my work permit to get THB40, instead of THB200, entry fee to "National Park" on the way to Koh Lipe.

THB160 is not a lot of money in absolute terms. Relatively, it's 5x the amount locals pay. And no, it's not the poor Thais that fly down in the South and set course for Koh Lipe.

Ps.: Read that piece of paper carefully: "There is a problem with foreigners in practical..." ????‍♂️

DD3A3D96-8C7D-4CBC-91B9-3E8DD7CD7098.jpeg

5C803987-B1DE-4679-8981-894EB938DC4A.jpeg

Edited by fabruer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With a bit of struggle, I'm sure many of us, probably thousands of expats, stuck in our home countries, can be allowed to come back. Even if we don't have wives, kids, or condos in Thailand. I could appreciate it if they just could welcome us back as well, not just these STV tourists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

If we are heroes, then maybe the unelected "PM" and his generals could stop treating us like criminals and

do away with this 90 day reporting nonsense.

Out all the red tape thrown at us your main beef is the very simple and easily done 90 day reporting ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t know  about being hero’s to the tourists sector,but my misses,her nephew,her brother and father sure are happy I am around at the moment.LOL.

As for building attractions,sort out the transport situation in phuket so tourists don’t get ripped of left right and Center.

Make it easier for expats that have been here a long time to obtain their visa.

After say 5 years living here trouble free do-away with the 90 day reporting, ( I think we have done our probation period).

Abolish the dual pricing,or at least make it if you hold a pink Thai ID card,you can’t be charged extra.

A few small changes will make a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Helmet Grunter said:

I don't understand why so many are complaining about Immigration, I go once a year for 30 minutes and 90 reports on line which takes 5 minutes, what's the big deal ????????

I don't understand why so many people don't mind being treated like criminals. How far away is the IO from your house?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't understand why so many people don't mind being treated like criminals. How far away is the IO from your house?

Well, my 3 reports this year have taken about 5 minutes total.

If a person lives far away from an office and complains so sorry, but that was their decision and problem they created.

Also, online works fine if you know how to use it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Tengtai said:

I could appreciate it if they just could welcome us back as well, not just these STV tourists.

I have been married for 30 years to a Thai, worked there for 25 years on infrastructure projects, have 2 (overseas) university educated kids who contribute to the Thai economy, own a few houses and cars in my wifes name but I mean squat to the Thai's. Get over it if you think farangs will ever have any meaning other than as cash cows in Thailand! 

Edited by PatOngo
  • Sad 2

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Well, my 3 reports this year have taken about 5 minutes total.

If a person lives far away from an office and complains so sorry, but that was their decision and problem they created.

Also, online works fine if you know how to use it.

and what about the IOs that do not accept online reports? 

There are many expats who are supporting the economy from their home countries. they would live to be in country but are unable to get back in. I spent a fortune the last year but needed to leave for work.  I'm sure that will be taken in to account when I try to return  end of Jan ????????????

• Like 1