How much has you currency lost for you in total the last 5 years against the baht?

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

I believe you missed the point entirely or possibly you're' just being silly  or  polemic.

Would you be happier with the question ' "over the past five years, by how much has your buying power eroded with the continued  strengthening of the baht"?

Now there isn't a single work in this post that indicates a negative attitude.    It is merely a question.   One can choose to like or not like the facts.

Satisfied?

Not really.  It's not an argument, or a question, that has any meaning in the real world,  there are far too many variables.  I could say that as I bought the house I live in at 60 Baht to the pound and it's rent and mortgage free, that I am up a good deal, but it is a false and meaningless  conclusio0n to draw.  My weekly shopping bill, in Sterling equivalent, is about the same as it was in the UK, so no change there. My new car was purchased at 45 to the Pound, but it's not built to European spec, so is that up, down or meaningless? So conclusion; there isn't one. If exchange rates worry a person,  then they should confine themselves to the country that provides their income.  Otherwise, as I say, it is what is is and bleating about it, as so many do, just makes life miserable. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Since the Brexit referendum I have lost 26% to 30% of my U.K. pension when converted to baht. Brexiteers told me at the time not to worry as the GB Pound would bounce back and go higher within 6 months. That was 4 and a half years ago and it is still down 26% and likely to fall further if we crash out without a deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It is false logic to calculate what a particular exchange rate was some lengthy period ago and compare it with the rate one is getting today.  It seems that some are looking at the difference between the old and new rates and then multiply the derived sum by the amount they have transferred to Thailand overnumber of years. They then state that they have thus "lost", as the OP put it, such-and-such amount of money over this period.

But exchange rates go up and down, somewhat like a whore's drawers. They fluctuate. It is true to say, therefore, that over the notional period commencing from day 1, the rate has been more favourable at times, less favourable at others, and, of course, will have remained steady for a portion of the time.

It is probably true to say, although I am writing under correction, that a more detailed look at exchange rate "losses" over a lengthy period are actually not quite as dramatic as people like to state.

And relax!  There's not much you can do about these fluctuations, anyway. The THB has an inverse correlation with the USD, and, as the dollar weakens, as evidenced recently by a look at DXY, the Baht will strengthen.

US Treasury stimulus by the Fed has contributed to the dollar's fall, and will continue to do so.  There is a fresh stimulus package waiting at the US Congress, the amount of which will be decided once the balance between the POTUS, the Senate, and the HOR is known, sometime in January, 2021. Whatever the case, it will be in the trillions of dollars, having an adverse effect on US buying power (inflation) and the dollar itself.

How does one hedge against this problem, if you are looking for a store of value? Favourites are silver, gold, (for the last 5000 years) , BTC, (for the last 10 years), ETH, a few other crypto's, and certain commodities.

For those who take no currency precautions whatsoever , please do not squeal when your buying power, in Thailand or anywhere else, continues to fall.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

what an odd title.  Nobody has 'lost' anything,. it is what it is. 

I could say that I saved 10 million Baht today,  because I didn't go out and  buy a Ferrari.  Same odd logic. 

this time next year i am going to be really rich. 

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I came back in Sept 2017 and beleive i am around 250,000 worse off as of my last Pension payment . The AUD is now at 76 US  and slowley climbing but still well down against the Baht .

I just transferred 800K for retirement extension, can't be bothered with O-A visas for the time being. The Aussie is nearly at 2 years high against the baht,  esp after plunging to 18.50 in March. With the ongoing money printing and the China trade issues hard to see it going further up at the moment, unless the US dollar plunges a lot.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have lived and worked abroad for many years, and there is absolutely no point in fretting about exchange rates.

It just ain't worth the stress.

Correct. Dont come here if you cant afford that sort of variance..

• Like 2

I have done ok for the first time in years, transferred the equivalent of 400k baht 6 months ago into a Thai $AU account for marriage extension, As the $AU has risen from 19 to 22/23, I have been drawing down on it for 6 months and still have close to 400k equivalent.

• Like 1

When we first arrived here on 27 November 2015: AUD to Thai baht equalled 25.7866

Today AUD to Thai baht = 22.65

So just a little over 3 baht, so hasn't been really been an issue for me, but I did notice when paying a private hospital insurance premium in March which had to be paid in USD, that was a bit of a shocker as it cost me an extra thousand as the AUD dropped to like 57.50 against the USD, thanks to Covid-19 ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smccolley said:

I started getting paid in baht 7 years ago - does that mean I am ahead? not really since I spend my money in Thailand and nothing goes down in price when currency fluctuates internationally...

exactly the point. 

Technically I guess  I have not actually lost money.  But at one time I got 35.86 to the USD, today 29.66.  What is missing is about 18% of my disposable income and prices have increased since I got the 35.86 exchange rate so YES, I have lost as have most other currencies.

I brought the 800K baht over for my retirement visa when it was 28.5 to the Australian dollar, about 7 years ago. Has been as low as 30.5 , now 22.5.  So I don't consider I've lost anything, although the 800K is dead money sitting in a Thai bank account for the foreseeable future.

Quite comfortable with the baht at 22.5, if anything my monthly living costs have decreased, no tourists = no high season.

IMO the Aussie dollar will stay at reasonable levels against the baht, don't think I can say the same for the USD.

• Like 1

How much has you currency lost for you in total the last 5 years against the baht? 

Have to go back a bit further to where the THB was the Lowest . 

I would say About 2012 when the AU $ was around the THB 30 ,If you work that out in % that would be To Date a Loss off about 26/27 %. 

Work it out over the yrs that one transfers money into Los to live on and spend some  that would be on a estimate a few Mill THB.

But saying that that wouldn't be right to say one Lost that .

On the Exchange one just wouldn't Get It so one Didn't Lose it.... But it still hurt....Not getting It.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Bitcoin is strange as 5 years ago, some said I was too late when it was $400. People said Greyscale was too late a month ago when they bought $500 million+ at $12,000 baht each. The institutional money is pouring in now. I would still recommend to buy it now at $23,000 and am going to next week when I get my salary.

I do not disagree with what you say or your reasoning but what happens when the institutional money flows out. And one day it will.

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

Since the Brexit referendum I have lost 26% to 30% of my U.K. pension when converted to baht. Brexiteers told me at the time not to worry as the GB Pound would bounce back and go higher within 6 months. That was 4 and a half years ago and it is still down 26% and likely to fall further if we crash out without a deal.

22nd June 2016, THB was 51.6264, according to Oanda. 23rd June was 51.6207, 24th, 52.045...

Today is 40.45. Roughly 24%.

But then again, in 1997-1998...23 June 1997...24.2550. 23 June 1998: 40.6593. So your point is...?

7 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

I believe you missed the point entirely or possibly you're' just being silly  or  polemic.

Would you be happier with the question ' "over the past five years, by how much has your buying power eroded with the continued  strengthening of the baht"?

Now there isn't a single work in this post that indicates a negative attitude.    It is merely a question.   One can choose to like or not like the facts.

Satisfied?

When I moved temporarily to Thailand the AUD/THB was around 30. When I decided to move here permanently I looked at the five year average of 26 as the benchmark. When we purchased the house and land for 5000000 baht the rate was 23.5, so I lost in rough figures AUD30000. Living expenses since then were transferred at 20.5 so on 1000000 baht the loss was AUD2000. So living expenses are not that significant but the house purchase was unless we move to Australia.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:38 PM, Kwasaki said:

Well when I planned my future coming Thailand 2005 from England I look back at the baht history and lived on savings for 7 years.

When frozen govt pension came I had worked out living with a 35.

My private pension top ups came to much more than I expected. 

I've enough money to live on and I'm happy it can go as low as 15 but I don't really think about it.

Are you winding us up with you can live on 15 baht to the pound

You must have good pensions 

I would prefer a bit higher but that's me