U.S. says Ghislaine Maxwell should stay behind bars, deserves no bail

rooster59

U.S. says Ghislaine Maxwell should stay behind bars, deserves no bail

2020-12-18T194050Z_1_LYNXMPEGBH1JH_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-GHISLAINE-MAXWELL.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Charges are announced against Ghislaine Maxwell for her role in the sexual exploitation and abuse of minor girls by Jeffrey Epstein in New York City, New York, U.S., July 2, 2020. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors on Friday said Ghislaine Maxwell, the former associate of Jeffrey Epstein charged with helping enable his sexual abuses, should remain in jail, and urged a federal judge to reject her proposed $28.5 million bail package.

In a filing with the U.S. District Court in Manhattan, prosecutors said the charges against Maxwell are "incredibly serious," the evidence against her is strong, and that she poses an "extreme flight risk."

Maxwell, 58, has been living in a Brooklyn jail since July, when she pleaded not guilty to helping Epstein recruit and groom underage girls for sex in the mid-1990s, and not guilty to perjury for having denied involvement under oath.

Her trial is scheduled for next July, and she faces up to 35 years in prison if convicted.

In a bail application made public on Dec. 14, Maxwell proposed living with electronic monitoring in a New York City residence, and under 24-hour guard to ensure she remains safe and does not flee.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-19

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I know little about this apart from what's been reported the media, but what reason is there for keeping her locked up when actual criminals walk the street?  She hasn't been convicted of anything as far as I know.

Flight risk is the first reason but also to witness intimidation and her own safety.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I know little about this apart from what's been reported the media, but what reason is there for keeping her locked up when actual criminals walk the street?  She hasn't been convicted of anything as far as I know.

Usually it is flight risk. Also severity of the crime. From what i see its purely flight risk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sujo said:

Usually it is flight risk. Also severity of the crime. From what i see its purely flight risk.

Flight risk and danger to the community are the only bona fide bases for denying bail since the accused has not yet been convicted of any crime.  In the Maxwell case she is clearly a flight risk.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 8:22 AM, rooster59 said:

Her trial is scheduled for next July, and she faces up to 35 years in prison if convicted.

And the Yorkshire ripper got 30 years for murder and despicable mutilations. I don’t see her getting a fair trial regardless of what she says or does.

• Confused 3

How can Ghislaine be a flight risk . She was living in her husbands house and quite ready not to go out to avoid being barraged by the media . I think this woman has been found guilty by the media and is being unfairly treated for reasons that maybe we should not know .

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

1. The crimes Maxwell is charged with are all extremely serious offenses.

2. In each case of ‘conspiracy’ the crime is even more serious because of the ‘conspiracy’.

3. A minor cannot consent to sex with an adult - period!

And adult having sex with a minor is rape - period!

An adult engaging in sexual activity with a minor is sexual abuse - period!

Paying money to the minor, or the fact that the minor joins in the conspiracy to recruit other minors does not change those facts.

These minors are victims - period!

Did she have sex with them? No. Why not go after the people who did these things?

I agree that the offenses are crimes, but they aren't victims. They were propositioned. They accepted. They found more willing girls who wanted to have sex and get money from rich people and Princes. Bleating about it now when they were quite happy to make the choice back then. Perhaps in France and the UK it's not such a big deal. We can have sex at 15 and 16 respectively.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, 2530Ubon said:

Did she have sex with them? No. Why not go after the people who did these things?

She played a part in organizing the abuse, that’s a crime.

I’m sure the Prosecution will be more than happy to hear any testimony Maxwell may wish to offer up on the matter of who raped and abused the minors she recruited to be raped and sexually abused.

• Like 1