Who's your favorite comedian?

Lacessit

3 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

I have seen a lot of the best standups live, including Dave Allen, Dame Edna, Ben Elton, Alexei Sayle, Connolly, Rowan Atkinson, Jack Dee, Victor Borge and more.

Of them all, the one who probably made me laugh most (I was lucky enough to see his comeback shows) was Max Wall.

One US star (only): Rich Hall. Although if we are allowed to go back, Keaton was a total genius who made Chaplin look like a beginner.

I can't ever remember an intentionally funny female.

Can't stand Rich Hall, just a loud mouthed, moaning, unfunny <deleted>.  Even his face pxxxxx me off,  just looking at him. 

• Like 1

No one has mentioned Mike Reid , on stage it was not just the gags it was the way he told them , leaning on the mike stand , glasses on and off.  Lot of people remember him from Eastenders but as a stand up comedian he was brilliant.

' If you phone for the police in Bradford they send the Bengal Lancers '. Not pc these days sure.

'  I said these crab sandwiches taste odd where did you get the crab paste from ?'     

' The chemist ' came the reply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

No one has mentioned Mike Reid , on stage it was not just the gags it was the way he told them , leaning on the mike stand , glasses on and off.  Lot of people remember him from Eastenders but as a stand up comedian he was brilliant.

' If you phone for the police in Bradford they send the Bengal Lancers '. Not pc these days sure.

'  I said these crab sandwiches taste odd where did you get the crab paste from ?'     

' The chemist ' came the reply.

run around .............................. NOW!

George Carlin, though sometimes he went a bit over the top

Richard Pryor, both as stand-up and when he worked with Gene Wilder.

The entire Monty Python clan

Eddie Murphy, particularly when he plays multiple roles

Bill Murray...more a comedic actor

Bill Maher, because he's an equal opportunity iconoclast, skewing the fringes of both the left and right

Rodney Dangerfield...the epitome of old style, Catskill Mountains Summers comedy

Groucho....brilliance behind the slapstick madness

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

I have seen a lot of the best standups live, including Dave Allen, Dame Edna, Ben Elton, Alexei Sayle, Connolly, Rowan Atkinson, Jack Dee, Victor Borge and more.

Of them all, the one who probably made me laugh most (I was lucky enough to see his comeback shows) was Max Wall.

One US star (only): Rich Hall. Although if we are allowed to go back, Keaton was a total genius who made Chaplin look like a beginner.

I can't ever remember an intentionally funny female.

Try Rita Rudner. Or Noelene Brown if you are Australian.

Funny, I don't think I have seen Bob Hope mentioned once on the thread.

Some good shows not mentioned I think

Key and Peale 

Tim and Eric - Awesome Show Great Job

Check it out with Steve Brule

The last two may seem a bit odd at first but were fairly original at the time. 

Recently finished a show called Holmes which is a fictionalised account of Pete Holmes attempt to enter the world of stand up. Not amazing but good fun and lots of comedic cameos.

Politics

Bill Maher

Stephen Colbert sometimes

Saturday Night Live sometimes

Jon Stewart 

Women

Amy Schumer

Tina Fey at her peak. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

No, there just isn't a funny one, in my view. The kind of humour I like does not lend itself to a female approach and delivery.  Oh, and just for a little bit of an update for you, females are equal, but  just different, haven't you noticed yet?  Don't make more of it than it is. 

Oh yes! I have noticed most things. Probably just a lucky guy, that can adjust and see the fun in most people. I know some people have a hard time doing that.

22 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Just to add a sour note (as is my won't) I find some very famous, much lauded comedians totally not funny.

Mike and Bernie Winters.   A couple I do like apart from the many that have been mentioned, Harry Enfield and the American Steven Wright.

12 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Oh yes! I have noticed most things. Probably just a lucky guy, that can adjust and see the fun in most people. I know some people have a hard time doing that.

ha, good luck, I don't see much 'fun' in many of the human race. 

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

George Carlin, though sometimes he went a bit over the top

Richard Pryor, both as stand-up and when he worked with Gene Wilder.

The entire Monty Python clan

Eddie Murphy, particularly when he plays multiple roles

Bill Murray...more a comedic actor

Bill Maher, because he's an equal opportunity iconoclast, skewing the fringes of both the left and right

Rodney Dangerfield...the epitome of old style, Catskill Mountains Summers comedy

Groucho....brilliance behind the slapstick madness

Good line up except for eddie murphy and bill maher.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Try Rita Rudner. Or Noelene Brown if you are Australian.

Funny, I don't think I have seen Bob Hope mentioned once on the thread.

Bob Hope was just not funny. His gag writers were funny, he was just a robot voice box telling  their jokes and not very well at that. Caught Rita Rudner last night on U Tube, not bad, but not my kind of humour, 

This changes very frequently for me over time and in general I don't really think in terms of the top favorite. I do love comedy of course. The names Sarah Silverman, Jerry Seinfeld, Louis C.K, Lewis Black, Josh Thomas, and really scores more come to mind. I also like Jim Gaffigan and don't really agree that he has added politics to his humor. All he did was give his opinion on the last election and maybe lost half his audience for that which is really, really stupid. Speaking of politics in recent years the satirical musical stylings of Randow Rainbow have been a real highlight so if I had to pick one for now, it would be him. Also, almost no doubt his material will be going away soon, so he is likely to soon be yesterday's news.

Edited by Jingthing

25 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Bob Hope was just not funny. His gag writers were funny, he was just a robot voice box telling  their jokes and not very well at that. Caught Rita Rudner last night on U Tube, not bad, but not my kind of humour, 

Bob hope was multi-talented, as this clip shows

Definitely Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, every time he opens his mouth, and talks about the new tourism proposal. And Prayuth every time he takes about righteousness, justice, democracy, corruption or working for the Thai people. 

But really, Ricky Gervais is amazing. He is funny without even trying to be funny. Steve Coogan, at times. Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari is brilliant, Sasha Baron Cohen is amazing, Tina Fey, and Chris Rock occasionally. Danny Glover is both funny and brilliant. Bill Maher is too. Stephen Colbert is excellent, but I really miss Jon Stewart.

Want to go back in time? Bernie Mac. Richard Pryor. George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, Eddie Murphy, Keith Davidson, Redd Foxx, Don Rickles, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, Bill Murray, and of course Robin Williams, 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Well, for someone who wasn't funny, he did very well for himself with the ladies and financially, worth $150 million when he died at age 100.

true but it doesn't make him funny, just a good business man.  Heard from a mate who was in Vietnam in 1969 that when Bob Hope appeared one Christmas, with his travelling show,  he was arrogant and stand offish, unless you were a high ranking officer. Its not the first time I have heard and read that about him.  Lots of indications that the man was a bit of a fraud and not as saintly as he was always portrayed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

true but it doesn't make him funny, just a good business man.  Heard from a mate who was in Vietnam in 1969 that when Bob Hope appeared one Christmas, with his travelling show,  he was arrogant and stand offish, unless you were a high ranking officer. Its not the first time I have heard and read that about him.  Lots of indications that the man was a bit of a fraud and not as saintly as he was always portrayed. 

Who is? JFK screwed around like a rabbit, LBJ liked briefings from aides while having a dump, just because he could. Dick Emery, a British comedian, was married 5 times. Slow learner.

But how remiss of me, I forgot Paul Hogan, one of our best Aussie comics. If you don't think this is funny, I'd recommend therapy.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Who is? JFK screwed around like a rabbit, LBJ liked briefings from aides while having a dump, just because he could. Dick Emery, a British comedian, was married 5 times. Slow learner.

But how remiss of me, I forgot Paul Hogan, one of our best Aussie comics. If you don't think this is funny, I'd recommend therapy.

Now I am confused, that was 1950s slap stick, funny to a teenager maybe, but hardly good, or original  comedy.  Still , each to his own. Nice butt though. so worth watching for that alone. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Now I am confused, that was 1950s slap stick, funny to a teenager maybe, but hardly good, or original  comedy.  Still , each to his own. Nice butt though. so worth watching for that alone. 

Ah well, each to his own. I'm trying to think what would be an adult comedy routine.

This scene of Hogan's is one of the most iconic in film history. No one could say it's unoriginal.