​​​​​​​Thai tourism industry will never be allowed to recover to pre-COVID levels

webfact

37 minutes ago, seancbk said:

They are not talking about getting rid of tourism, they are talking about incentives for foreign investment in things other that tourism so they can build another revenue stream, and in the process lower the percentage of GDP that tourism accounts for. 

It's a good idea and one I've been hoping to see for a long time.  Perhaps they'll allow foreign owned companies instead of the 49/51% nonsense, and even reduce the 4 Thais per expat requirement.  There are a very large number of foreign owned companies in Hong Kong (and elsewhere) that would love to move here, I know several people who'd move their operations here, along with most of their foreign and some of their Chinese staff.  The benefit to Thailand would be huge.  Do away with low quality tourists and instead replace them with companies paying tax, putting money into the housing market, schools and the economy at large for many many years, not just a few weeks.

Tax!   anything to support a few more Generals , please.

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

And I suppose you think Bill Gates is busy activating a mind controlled army of the vaccinated to begin this takeover.

That why he is ensuring the vaccination program focuses on 80-90 year olds first, as part of his master plan..

Chelsea pensioners special Christmas ceremony #12430860 Framed Prints

Starting by creating a strategic military base in Chelsea and fitting these Zombified soldiers out with Kevlar reinforced Tena products and armor plated Zimmer frames. 

I suggest you keep your nonsensical conspiracy theories to yourself as you are obviously a few prawns short of a buffet.

Next thing you'll be telling us that the Thai government plans to send people to the moon !!!

Aussiebrian - or is it aussiebrain, which seems more likely - is a few shrimps short of a barbie. Once the first convict has landed on the moon with the Thai space craft, he or sheila will not plant a flag but leave an esky and a few empty XXXX cans (XXXX = Australian for b-e-e-r)

• Sad 1

COVID19 has exposed faults in not just Thailand's economy, but many nations globally. As an example that is familiar to me, as an Australian;

In Australia, we stupidly relied too much on China for exports, the massive foreign student industry and certain States like Queensland with tourism as well.  

Now China is severely punishing Australia for daring to ask for an inquiry into the COVID outbreak in China.  China has decided to ban certain exports with arbitrary reasons as well as impose insanely huge tariffs. 

We have relied on a bully regime like stupid puppets, instead of being self reliant and having our own steel manufacturing industries, etc.  

Thailand is just doing the same sort of housekeeping now in respect to their over reliance on certain industries.  In my opinion it is prudent economic management to decouple from risky areas of the economy and divert to more stable industries. 

It does mean a lot of innovation, government capital investment into infrastructure, research and development, education, etc. 

It is all to easy for foum posters to criticize the Thai government for highlighting this problem and wanting change.  Same in my country and other countries. 

China was the catalyst and is the elephant in the room all over the world with very nervous governments not willing to open their mouths about it as they don't want to be whacked with the big China CCP stick.  Quite sad really to all lower our heads and not point at China who caused all of this in the first place.  

I just hope out of this will be positive change, despite the unbelievable death tolls, financial ruin, suicides, misery and hardship caused by it all.  This is a wound that will take a long time to heal, maybe never for many. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

What does this really mean in practice? Implement a quota on the maximum number of tourist visas issued? Turn away tourists that want to come and tell them to go to another country? I've never heard of  any place intentionally killing their tourism industry.

It doesn't, or at least shouldn't, mean a reduction in tourism. No country should aim for that. The way to reduce dependency on tourism is to grow the rest of the economy, not shrink tourism.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think he is correct.

I went walking today in a hilly area well behind a great beach in Phuket , and the amount of new buildings and rooms  never opened was unbelievable ! 

If it wasnt ( newly and  roughly ) built upon , it had the footings or  flooded preparations !

I was simply stunned at how many rooms could be wedged onto a block.

Some buildings were not even a year old and the paint was fading and the 'stainless ' rusting.

Its beyond a joke , and  needs a massive correction here in Phuket.

Nature appears to be undoing what man wanted , and Im all for it .

Except these towers will be a blot on the landscape for a century to come ...

18 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

See. 

I was right.

The glory days are well and truly over.

Akin to the birth of the package holiday in the 60's and the death of the British sea side resorts in the 70's and 80's.

Thailand will never be the same again.

sadly the world will never be the same... watch for the great reset and goerge orwells utopia will come to pass...

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

This must be as worrying for property developers as well as investors. If the 39 million tourists that Thailand received last year in 2019, is never to be repeated, why do we need to continue building and investing in new hotels?

Development was too unregulated and way over what's needed anyway.

• Like 1

Punmeechaow said that the country relied too much on tourism and that this was unacceptable. 

This must be as worrying for property developers as well as investors

What is unacceptable and worrying is the continuation of the state being run by Thailand's Mugabe. You want viable options? Well I'm afraid you need someone with a brain and good intentions, like Thanatorn, who is for the people, not all over the people! Whatever happens with the economy with the current status quo; you can bet your bottom dollar China will have their grubby hand right in it. Pffft!

This government rolled up the Welcome mat long before the covid crisis. The virus has just provided the government an opportunity to press the reset button. Of course there are environmental concerns due to lack of regulations and profiteering, the rest is xenophobia.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They just don't know who is saying what,  in another feed, was said that Thailand will be the top Country in the world for tourisim, as the tourist will feel safe visiting Thailand because it  had controlled the virus, and that Thailand had a world beating heath service... 

They really need to make there minds up.... 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Last week the Thai government Minister’s speech shows me that tourism will never be allowed to recover to previous levels.

Complete garbage, Thailand praises itself on mass tourism and uses it as an indicator of quality.

Rather than have half the 2019 figures and provide a real experience they cram as many people into every opportunity to gouge every baht possible and boast the figures daily.

As soon as borders are open they will be back to the old ways with Pipat [strangely quiet these days] at the helm.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 6:36 AM, webfact said:

Infrastructure improvements; legal reforms, changes in corporate ownership regulations and reduced bureaucracy are just a few of the changes the chambers of commerce have been asking for and must be in place BEFORE we start to cook the goose that lays gold bullion on the floor of the vault in the bank.  

Ask all you want, you'll never get it.

Even now they spout buy a condo we'll let you have a visa.... any country that relies on tourism to float it's housing market is in need of drastic changes, but they'll never change. 

On 12/21/2020 at 6:51 AM, bkk6060 said:

This gentleman sounds like an intellectual.

Unfortunately, Thailand does not seem to have the overall intellect to pull any of this off.

They will figure out making big money off tourism is actually easy and will revert back to that concept if and when the opportunity arises.

Yes, I think you are right judging by the number of people that lay flat on their back earning money from customers ????

4 hours ago, FarangJon said:

Just ask the TAT. 50 Million tourists are expected in 2021.

From what I've read, they've pretty much written off 2021 and are focusing on 2022 for tourism.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/project-phoenix-to-see-thai-tourism-rise-from-ashes-in-2022-335985

TAT Gov. Yuthasak Supasorn said Nov. 30 that next year’s tourism outlook is difficult to predict and, thus, the organization has launched Project Phoenix to have Thailand rise from the ashes of the pandemic to generate up to 2.5 trillion baht in tourism revenue in 2022, 83 percent of 2019’s income.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:42 AM, NorthernRyland said:

What does this really mean in practice? Implement a quota on the maximum number of tourist visas issued? Turn away tourists that want to come and tell them to go to another country? I've never heard of  any place intentionally killing their tourism industry.

Aah! But TIT

On 12/20/2020 at 6:42 PM, NorthernRyland said:

You haven't been to vegas lately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2020 at 6:48 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Where will this come from and why here. Who would invest here with this government in power as corrupt as they are.

RAYONG (NNT) - Great Wall Motors (GWM), one of the top-3 biggest vehicle builders in China, has started operating its manufacturing line at facilities in Rayong province which they previously took over from US company GM.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG201104114952923

• Like 1

Thailand is experiencing similar problems to other countries on a different scale, but problems no less. There's a big slice of land lying  south east of Thailand that just about has the same percentage as Thailand's tourist industry in exports to China, one lesson to be learnt don't put your eggs all in one basket , you'll get burned.