​​​​​​​Thai tourism industry will never be allowed to recover to pre-COVID levels

webfact

25 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

He is right. EV is the industry of the future. look at tesla - 16000% return over 10 years.

Thailand should invite Elon Musk, Tesla's founder, to start a new electric space ship company

in thailand, and to make it easier on him, to give him and his family

free I-SMART  visa with  work permits...

Forget Tesla, Thanathorn's Summit Group is a major supplier to Tesla and future plans can't accommodate him.

Think "Chinese".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Lots of rubbish talks from people who desperate to be noticed, i will give a million baht to any one who will predict Accurately  what is going to be this time next week, let alone a month from now...

Nothing in the article indicates that "the tourism will never be allowed to recover to pre-Covid levels".  It outlines other possible strategies for growth, not that the tourism will be intentionally crippled.

Rubbish journalism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Another fallout from this will be with international programs at Thai universities. The reduction of tourism will also mean less need for English. Another way to reroute interest in connection from the West to China.

Interesting and probably a very valid point.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Sounds like face saving to me. They know the tourists aren't coming back any time soon so they're spinning it to sound like they are rejecting the tourists as opposed to the other way around.

Exactly. Very common national characteristic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And so your answer is to send people back to huts and shacks (or, rather, even more huts and shacks), let'em eat rice, pick a few mangoes off their trees, and enjoy the "sustainability." Exactly how and where do you intend to live while this is going on?

No, the answer is to take this opportunity and start moving away from tourism. Not overnight, but slowly and steadily.

Again, how you like your home country to be 20% dependant on tourism, with all the "benefits" it brings, such as destroying coastlines, transforming former paradises like Koh Samui and Phuket into the overbuilt <deleted> holes they are now, etc. If the answer is no, why should it be different for Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Maybe they can use China again as a model. There's a country that doesn't rely on tourism. And look how pristine and pure their environment is, as they've invested in alternative industries. 

Or maybe they can look at Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Australia, etc - your point being?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

So no more auto exports?

Great plan. End tourism and exports. What could possibly go wrong?

Reading comprehension not your strong point then.

Of course he did not say they would end tourism and exports, don't be ridiculous.  Instead they want to decrease the reliance on them by strengthening in other sectors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I would suggest you pay a visit to your local train station or bus station where you will find the majority of buses are full going to destinations all over the country so you are incorrect with the statement that most thai's don't travel

I agree, my Thai family are always travelling. They are split between Chiang Rai, Suratthani, Bangkok and Krabi. But to be fair to Internationalism  s/he did use 'probably' and 'except' in the same sentence.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

How would you like to be a Thai graduate from one of these Tourism and Hospitality Management programs that are highlighted at Thai universities?  You've just been torpedoed. 

Maybe they will now have only a 1 in 2 chance of obtaining a position with their qualifications.  As opposed to a media studies degree in the UK where they only have a 1 in 5 chance of a position.  

I've attended university twice in my life and what I witnessed on the last occasion made me highly suspicious of many aspects of the   'FE' system.

• Like 1

I wonder if this signals a loss of interest in "the tourist industry" on the part of those who habitually sit in the front cabin of airplanes?

Maybe, those who have invested heavily in the infrastructure to support the STV scheme have had their fingers burnt by it's less than stellar "take up rate". The trouble is that apart from the package tour sector (currently dormant) tourists show a disconcerting habit of going where they want and spending the money on what they want. A bit like herding cats, and difficult if not impossible to establish a lucrative monopoly ( the Chinese tour market is already spoken for - and we can't upset that monopoly)! 

Best left to wither on the vine, shunt that coach from the gravy train into the sidings, and concentrate on more reliable and controllable enterprises.

• Like 2