U.S. House approves $2,000 coronavirus aid checks sought by Trump

webfact

U.S. House approves $2,000 coronavirus aid checks sought by Trump

By Susan Cornwell and Steve Holland

2020-12-28T225430Z_3_LYNXMPEGBR07Z_RTROPTP_4_USA-CONGRESS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The U.S. Capitol Building following a rainstorm on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., December 4, 2020. REUTERS/Tom Brenner/File Photo

WASHINGTON/PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives voted 275-134 to meet President Donald Trump's demand for $2,000 COVID-19 relief checks on Monday, sending the measure on to an uncertain future in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Trump last week threatened to block a massive pandemic aid and spending package if Congress did not boost stimulus payments from $600 to $2,000 and cut other spending. He backed down from his demands on Sunday as a possible government shutdown brought on by the fight with lawmakers loomed.

But Democratic lawmakers have long wanted $2,000 relief checks and used the rare point of agreement with Trump to advance the proposal - or at least put Republicans on record against it - in the vote on Monday.

One hundred thirty Republicans, two independents and two Democrats opposed the increase on Monday.

Trump finally signed the $2.3 trillion package into law, while still demanding $2,000 checks.

It includes $1.4 trillion in spending to fund government agencies and $892 billion in COVID relief.

Lawmakers will seek to override President Trump’s recent veto of a $740-billion bill setting policy for the Defense Department. If successful, it would be the first veto override of Trump’s presidency. This report produced by Jonah Green.

It is not clear how the measure to increase aid checks will fare in the Senate, where individual Republican lawmakers have said the higher amount would add hundreds of billions of dollars to the latest relief bill.

The Senate is due to convene on Tuesday. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Sunday made no mention of Senate plans for a vote, after welcoming Trump's signing of the relief bill.

The coronavirus pandemic has killed nearly 330,000 people in the United States and led to widespread economic hardship, with millions of families relying on unemployment benefits and COVID relief funds.

(Reporting by Susan Cornwell and David Morgan in Washington and Steve Holland in Palm Beach; additional reporting by Susan Heavey and Simon Lewis; Writing by Matt Spetalnick and David Brunnstrom; Editing by Noeleen Walder, Alistair Bell and Tim Ahmann)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-29

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

One hundred thirty Republicans, two independents and two Democrats opposed the increase on Monday

I wonder how Trump may call these Republicans who did not vote in the way he wanted. ŔINO?

Edited by candide
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I’d be delighted if it does pass 

So that next year you can complain about the huge national debts built up under the republicans, and that the dollar is worth 20 Baht?

I assume you are on the receiving end of such a $2000 cheque ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

And to make your head spin more, the repubs are suing pence to stop him from formalizing the electors. They want him to disregard voters and chose his own.

Trump sure has made the US crazyland.

Grifter that continue to scam his supporters right up to the end. Challenging without precedent a 1887 federal law is foolhardy. Pence will just perform his ceremonial role on Jan 6. The court will not likely to take up the lawsuit. It will go done to political pressure with errant GOPs forcing a debate and right wingers like the Proud Boys demonstrating. Will Pence bend to political pressure is the question. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Why weren't you worried about stopping those dollars?

Because I'm not a US citizen, so if the dollar drains to zero, only good for me as US goods get cheap for me.

I only voiced my opinion, since this is a discussion forum, about the stimulus that is going on everywhere in the world, and what the effects will be.

As for your comment about the money that went in the stock market, creating a massive bubble, let's see what happens to that in 2021

it’s difficult to understand as to why Trump held up the stimulus bill, demanded an increase and less pork and then did a complete 360 in a few days. The delay has been disastrous for his image and created friction in the party. Can’t see any political upside in that strategy. Was he tricked by Lindsey and McCarthy over the weekend golf session that the GOPs will take on his 2k proposal, cut pork and rescind section 230 after he signed the Bill. For sure the GOPs ain’t going to do all that after he signed. This may signal a intention from the party to pivot away from Trump. 

• Like 1

I am happy for the people to get their $2000. If the Republican's reject this in the Senate though I have to admire them in a strange way for sticking to their guns that $600 is enough. This would be despite upsetting the president, and many voters, including Georgian voters.   If they are as cynical as they seem to be you'd think they would vote it through and let the Democrats deal with the debt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Fair question: Will a Married Filing Jointly with a non-citizen ITIN spouse preclude you from any stimulus check this round?  We received nothing last time, and may not this time either.

You should have gotten a check last time for yourself. This time around your spouse will be eligible as well. At least for the $600 according to the bill as passed.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You should have gotten a check last time for yourself. This time around your spouse will be eligible as well. At least for the $600 according to the bill as passed.

Thanks.  Fingers crossed.

Did not get a check last time, due to an incorrect interpretation of the Married Filing Jointly with ITIN spouse.  UbonJoe a frequent TV poster explained this to us last round.  
My theory: the IRS incorrectly assumes this status is one with illegal aliens using an alias whereby only one of them has a stolen SSN.

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Thanks.  Fingers crossed.

Did not get a check last time, due to an incorrect interpretation of the Married Filing Jointly with ITIN spouse.  UbonJoe a frequent TV poster explained this to us last round.  
My theory: the IRS incorrectly assumes this status is one with illegal aliens using an alias whereby only one of them has a stolen SSN.

Actually the previous law specifically excluded legal spouses with ITN numbers.

Edited by placeholder
  • Thanks 1

And I'm wrong. At least if the NY Times is right then I'm wrong. I wouldn't bet against them.

In the spring, that usually meant that neither of you was eligible for payments. Now, when two people are married and filing their taxes jointly and only one spouse has a Social Security number, they will be eligible for a single $600 payment. Each of their children with Social Security numbers would also be eligible for the $600.

Stimulus Deal Q&A: Second Check, Unemployment Insurance and More - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Sorry.