British nationals could be barred from entering Thailand under new proposals

webfact

1 minute ago, dbrenn said:

Why should Thailand take chances? This second strain hysteria, with its arbitrary 70% greater contagion, came from Matt Hancock and his cohort of 'experts' in the first place, so the British only have themselves to blame. 

I thought it was the Chinese.....????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JoePai said:

Anyone who tries to travel worldwide at this present time is crazy

Anyone who tries to travel at this present time is crazy.

Even to the next village/town/city. To the shops and back is all that's needed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Why should Thailand take chances? This second strain hysteria, with its arbitrary 70% greater contagion, came from Matt Hancock and his cohort of 'experts' in the first place, so the British only have themselves to blame. 

Yeah fancy being honest with the public. 

• Like 2

I read the same headline about barring Brits from travelling to LOS!!.

Well, whoever made this decision needs to be examined. Brainless or is the writer giving wrong headline? I am a Brit residing in Brunei where there is no cases since May2020. According to the headline, I am not allowed to enter Thailand (should they implement such pathetic rule) even though the country I reside in has no cases at all.

What about non Brits who were in the UK for few months and now travelling to Thailand via Paris or Berlin?

Some HEADS NEED TO BE C.O.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, whiteman said:

LOCK IT ALL DOWN   Tanks on the streets just like in the old days  so that they can keep there noses in the money plates for much longer than they thought they could 

To which country are you referring? Could be China or Thailand - don't think that works for the UK though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

People from the UK shouldn't be leaving to go on holiday anywhere outside the UK - and there shouldn't be anyone arriving either.

This new strain had only just been reported in the news when the family arrived in Thailand on 21st December. At the same time Thailand was grappling with it's own home grown surge in infections from largely unchecked migrant workers from Myanmar (where covid had been rife for months).

With the extremely high bar of pre-flight screening and stringent ASQ regulations, regular tourists are a very safe bet in comparison, and this system has successfully prevented the virus getting here for many months. Blaming the British family for this is as ridiculous as it is unfair. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

This new strain had only just been reported in the news when the family arrived in Thailand on 21st December. At the same time Thailand was grappling with it's own home grown surge in infections from largely unchecked migrant workers from Myanmar (where covid had been rife for months).

With the extremely high bar of pre-flight screening and stringent ASQ regulations, regular tourists are a very safe bet in comparison, and this system has successfully prevented the virus getting here for many months. Blaming the British family for this is as ridiculous as it is unfair. 

My point was that no one should be going on holiday/traveling abroad from the UK. Nothing to do with the new strain. It's utter madness in the midst of this pandemic. Never mind the fact that their kids should be in school.

Very irresponsible too. Let's not forget that Thailand is quite prone to closing it's borders - meaning this family could be stuck here for quite some time if the government sees fit to introduce another lockdown, which is looking increasingly likely.

5 hours ago, 2long said:

I think that they should backdate this, and start deporting British people, even those who have lived here for years and not even popped out of the country in ages. Time for a purge!

Behind every cloud . . .

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The irony of this is that they want to buy a UK vaccine whilst banning that UK travellers. 

They have the technology transfer agreement already - It's being manufactured here. Paying for something doesn't mean they have to bend over and take it on a completely different issue.

6 hours ago, MarkyM3 said:

So....this mutation is already circulating in many countries. Germany has found it in a dead patient from 2 months ago. But isolate one country, even when people entering from there must provide a negative test pre-flight and quarantine. Yes - ban them all from the UK indiscriminately when they've probably laid out thousands in advance to travel....your post would be funny it wasn't so serious. 

Who, in these parlors times, has laid thousands out in advance. The mooted ban: when is it to be introduced?

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Nope - second strain hysteria was a British invention. 

Just like the Chinese version was not planned by the Chinese the Brits did not create this on purpose. Mutations and viruses happen. Cant really blame anyone for it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

So is the idea to ban all British people travelling on British passports, regardless of where they live or where they have come from? Or is the ban on all travellers from UK origin flights, including Thai nationals?

Interesting to see how they'll handle this. As far as I remember around 3600 foreigners from all over the world entered Thailand in November 2020,  my guess would be the number of Thais returning exceeded that number. It would be fairly pointless if they ban the Brits but still get their own citizens untested.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

there are 100s of corona virus's including the common cold.

There's 7 human coronaviruses and that includes SARS (extinct) and MERS (which you can catch from certain types of camel) - that's it, just 7. There are 100's of different colds but they're nothing to do with coronaviruses.

Can't see why they would ban Brits when you have to quarantine anyway, all heresay at present. Is there any data to show flying is anymore dangerous, if you take sensible precautions and the airline has safety procedures in place it's still a very very difficult virus to catch.

Better to focus on those back roads into your wonderful kingdom.

And be grateful thete are people willing to pay $5,000 to return home.

Not worry about this strain or that - your conditions are strict enough.

Medium and long term, you can stop thinking too much about tourism as the goose is cooked there. Retrain the millions currently starving for high tech, such as design and build batteries, electric cars and of course the high priority voyage to the moon.

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

It's getting to the point some British nationals wont want to return to a covid ravaged Thailand at exorbitant costs anyway ????

We all have our own agenda, if your life is here ( house / property / family and friends ) then the one off cost is worth the ball ache.

With the commercial flights to return now ( for the time being ) it's really not that difficult.

I suspect they might go back to repatriation flights ONLY very soon as well, watch this space

The uk has already vaccinated over a million people already and the oxford vaccine rolls out this week .

If this ban is for sure and not u turned 

Cant think this ban will be for too long?

I have been told in my medical job i will be vaccinated this month .

Been waiting a year to see my thai wife was going next month ,about to book the flight and asq.Gutted by this ban news.

☹️☹️☹️

7 hours ago, webfact said:

As many as 50 countries either have or continue to impose a temporary ban on flights from the UK.

No flights, no vaccine deliveries, I would guess the UK will manage just fine either way.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1