Bangkokians with chronic illness, elderly, small pets told to avoid brackish tap water

webfact

Bangkokians with chronic illness, elderly, small pets told to avoid brackish tap water

By The Nation

800_4e2f69baa9528bc.jpg?v=1612245312

Owing to severe drought conditions, seawater has entered Bangkok’s raw water system, making tap water very salty.

Hence, Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang said on Tuesday that young children, the elderly, people with chronic illness and small pets should avoid tap water.

It is important for people with underlying conditions such as kidney disease, heart disease, diabetes, blood pressure as well as brain disease to avoid drinking tap water because of high sodium levels.

Though people with normal health can consume the water, they should reduce salt content in other things they consume.

People should also avoid using water from the Chao Phraya River or canals running off it because in some areas, the salt content is as high as 12 grams per litre.

Here are the salt per litre readings taken from Bangkok’s five water monitoring stations:

• Jaeng Ron 12.4g

• Dao Khanong 12g

• Bangkok Yai 9.6g

• Thewet 10.6g

• Bang Khen Mai 6.6g

Deputy Interior Minister Nipon Boonyamanee told the press on Monday that rising seawater from January 28 has affected raw water in Metropolitan Waterworks Authority’s pumping station in Pathum Thani.

Nipon added that the Royal Irrigation Department will look into ways of further filtering the water used from the Chao Phraya and Tha Chin rivers. He also urged relevant agencies to prepare for severe drought during the next two to three months.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402143

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-02-02

6 minutes ago, internationalism said:

but water in the gulf contains only up to 3.25% so 3.25g per litre.

In the river, even more so in canals, there would be much less of salt.

Especially, that water is filtrated at each station. 

On average, seawater in the world's oceans has a salinity of approximately 3.5%, or 35 parts per thousand. This means that for every 1 litre (1000 mL) of seawater there are 35 grams of salts (mostly, but not entirely, sodium chloride) dissolved in it.

I'm confused, how did they converse with small pets?
Another misleading headline.

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You've got a seal? I thought it might have been a crocodile.

That's brought me to tears .. 

And there are saltwater Croc's who probably wouldn't have a problem with this salty water .. though what they are like at turning taps on is not clear at the moment 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Yea but small pets'll have trouble getting those stupid seals off the top of water bottles as much as turning on the tap ..

Some elderly people will also  have trouble getting those stupid seals off the top of water bottles as much as turning on the tap, especially if they have arthritis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

I'm confused, how did they converse with small pets?
Another misleading headline.

They got Dr Doolittle in as a translator.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Owing to severe drought conditions, seawater has entered Bangkok’s raw water system, making tap water very salty.

Always an excuse for poor service.

Try updating your water management facilities and give the public what they pay for.

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

why does anyone who doesn't need to be there for work,  go anywhere near Bangkok.  I just don't get it. 

But it's the most visited city on Earth. Or was, before the pandemic. Can you imagine the mountain made up of the hundreds of millions of entry forms that have been completed over the years and must be stored somewhere. Could be one of the Wonders of the World which TAT and Immigration could promote. They could charge for entry to see it, dual-pricing of course. Extra price if you want to take selfies beside it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:
On 2/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, webfact said:

i wonder how to speak to small pets!

Very quietly I would think, to avoid bursting their little eardrums.

Yours, Dr Doolittle.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1