Stop Panning Pattaya! Hard not to as beach is washed away after heavy rain - again

webfact

I know it's 'pipe dream' (plz excuse the pun) but how about some pretty boat sized canals (open the ones closed decades ago, and add new ones to receive/catch the heavy rains, then chanel this water through overflow ponds/pits (pollution filtration included), pump into outfall pipes and lay these maybe a mile or two offshore. No more flooding AND they can create some beautiful waterways to inject tourist appeal all across the world class resort. They did an amazing job in BKK with one of the old smelly overbuilt klongs ... now lots a groovy night market and food areas there. Could do this all over Pattaya and this would help with the beach erosion I'm sure - eliminate those ugly wash aways and all the <deleted> that they deliver to the beach and ocean. These outfalls would aisd in cleaning up the sea water a tonne too.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, J Town said:

I really can't wrap my head around the concept of why it wouldn't be so easy to create drainage from beach road straight into the gulf. It's like 30 meters away!

That's to easy... and if they fix it, we're are the future brown envelopes going to come from... 

• Like 1

What a lot of the serial complainers here don't seem to realize while going "LA LA LA (as they cover their ears) I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA".  Is that the beach is designed to wash away in certain areas after heavy rains.  All you have to do is open your eyes and you will see that the sidewalk is designed as a spillway in certain areas and (SURPRISE) that is where it washes away.

And before anyone goes on about drainage.  Yes they put in larger pipes to help it drain faster for moderate rainfall but it's impossible to drain away a few billion gallons falling within an hour of a fairly typical Thailand downpour. The pipes would probably need to be impossibly big to be able to handle that.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, shdmn said:

And before anyone goes on about drainage.  Yes they put in larger pipes to help it drain faster for moderate rainfall but it's impossible to drain away a few billion gallons falling within an hour of a fairly typical Thailand downpour. The pipes would probably need to be impossibly big to be able to handle that.

Although we still seem to flood, I have read comments that it drains away faster than in the past, so some benefit has been derived from work done. Not sure if others would agree with this.... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Time he was moved on to pastures new, and actually get someone in who knows how to do things and not just make empty promises.

No doubt he has a team of "expert" hangers on on his payroll to advise him and share the spoils.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The tragedy is that huge amounts of money are being spent and a lot of it appears to have been wasted. We keep revisiting the same problems over and over. 

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.  In this case supplying sand to a disappearing beach is a license to print money four times a year.

11 hours ago, mikebell said:

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.  In this case supplying sand to a disappearing beach is a license to print money four times a year.

Perhaps we will see tourist numbers increase just after every beach replenishment, only to subside, as the sand does.  Then, when the sand is replenished, the tourists come back.

They are smart here.  Turning two tourist seasons into four tourist seasons.  ???? 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, mikebell said:

Einstein must be rolling over at high speed in his grave