Index Helmet - Strap too short

PapaNasty

I mainly ride my bike just around town, only occasionally on the open road, and have been using the same index helmet for the past 7-8 years.  However, it's finally gotten to the point where I want to replace it.  I have a bit of a large head and need the largest size helmet, which they didn't have in stock so I had to order it in (So couldn't try it on in the store).

However, when it arrived the strap with the "red thingy" that you insert the "other thingy" into is too short and doesn't appear to be adjustable at all.  As a result, it's extremely difficult to do up, and even more difficult to undo, since my face pushes it up against the side of the helmet and thus it can't open up.  My wife tried it on and had the same problem, so it isn't just me having big cheeks either lol.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and is there a way to resolve it?  A way to perhaps adjust the strap for the red thingy (the other strap is adjustable, just not this one), or if there's just some kind of trick to it which I'm unaware of (I've had a similar "red thingy" on my old helmet and no problems, only with this new one).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Just now, jackdd said:

Post a picture of your problem.

Next time try "Bilmola", relatively cheap and easy to find, but they come in Farang head shape. (A previous poster suggested "Real", afaik these only come in Asian head shape)

I tried the Real and it fitted my farang head fine

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Did you look ?

I'm not bored enough to check all the 40 or 50 brands listed on this website as to if they are sold in the UK.

If you knew one example (a brand not sold in the UK, but listed on this website) it would be evidence that the claim which you made in your previous post, not being on this website means bad quality, could be correct. If on the other hand, all the brands listed on this website are sold in the UK, then it's probably as simple as that if a brand isn't listed there it just means it's not sold in the UK, and your claim from your previous post is probably wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aomelia said:
On 3/12/2021 at 3:06 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Throw away or sell and buy a new one, maybe a "Real" helmet, around 2,000 baht and straps are fine

Offer it to a Thai 

'Offer it to a Thai '

Quite right- Cheap helmet for a cheap head ! ???? 

If you are riding a small 125-150 cc motorcycle or scooter short distances at less than 60 kph then buy a full face "Real" helmet.  They are one of the best Thai brands for safety. 

If you are ridding long distances on highways at high speed the go full internationally certified high quality 1000+ dollars or pounds helmet and go full leather with skid armor vest, armored boots, and elbow and knee protectors.  Those are cheaper than a a hospital bill for having yourself put back together, or for a funeral.

Never buy a helmet unless you try it on first to make sure it fits snugly.  It will feel uncomfortably tight if it fits right and it is time to replace the lining or the helmet when it starts moving around on your head.  I'm planning on doing exactly that within the next month.  I'm simply too pretty to risk my face with anything less than a full face helmet and enjoying life too much to risk a rescue crew having to scrape part of my brains off the pavement by not wearing a helmet.

The motorcycle helmet chin strap quick release, which you called the "red thingy" that you insert the "other thingy", is not nearly as good as a double-d ring motorcycle crash helmet fastener.  They are quick and easy but they will break under load long before the strap or a double-d ring gives up.

All about double-d ring motorcycle crash helmet fasteners

I ride a Honda Wave and never ride faster than about 60 kph so I bought a Real Space-1 helmet a couple of years ago, and it was about 2700 Bt well spent.  The only drawback was that it has a quick release clip instead of a double-d ring fastener on the chin strap.  The cheapest currently available Real full face helmets are listed at 1900 Bt for plain ones and 2100 Bt for decorated ones.  Unfortunately they all have chin strap quick releases, but they are much better quality than Index for a small increase in cost.  The top of the line is the 4300 Bt Cyber Revenge Snell, which I think is a Snell approved helmet and probably overkill for in town, but it is what I would recommend for highway use.

The Real web site is in mixed Thai and English.  There is enough English for most farangs to understand what is necessary but having a Thai with you to translate the web pages is a good idea.  Real Motorcycle Helmets.

While your at it think seriously about buying some motorcycle gloves.  Hands and fingers are most likely to be damaged in a motorcycle accident since you instinctively put out your hands to stop your fall.  Good gloves can save you losing some fingers.  Shoes, not sandals to thongs, can keep you from losing toes.

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

If you live in Bangkok go to one of the proper motorcycle outfitter shops and buy a proper full face helmet. By that I mean a helmet that is DOT certified. Don’t be shy to spend a few hundred dollars/euros on one. Double O ring closure is the safest, but the edges of those rings might chew up your strap over time, since the strap wasn’t replaceable on mine I had to buy a new helmet, which sucked. Quick release will be just fine, if you buy a proper helmet of a reputable brand that is. The reason you want a full face helmet is because you don”t want “nothing gets between me and my Harley” happen to you, You can do a google picture search for the text in quotations to get my drift. Although that injury was first “marketed” as a bike injury, it’s actually from biting down on a blasting cap, but this might be you, if you slide on your face long enough after getting off your bike with a half face helmet on! ????

Edited by pacovl46
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2021 at 5:20 AM, jackdd said:

Do other brands which aren't sold in the UK show up there?

Only the ones to meet the requirements of regulation ECE 22-05. Otherwise the helmet is considered unsafe and is not allowed to be sold.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

You ever tried to ride here in 'Full Leather' - I guess the answer is No

So are you a flip flop, T shirt & no helmet  kind of guy ? 

I have absolutely no sympathy for people hurt, injured or killed because they refuse to use common sense & intelligence whilst riding motorcycles, myself and some friends yesterday, watched a very clever farang going at a stupid speed, heading into a setting sun, no helmet or safety gear at all, he hit a Thai, this was on SSCC in Pattaya, if you're reading this sunbeam I sincerely hope you are rethinking your bike & clothing choices.

Edited by Golden Triangle
Spelling
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

So are you a flip flop, T shirt & no helmet  kind of guy ?

Where is the post in which I said this ? Nowhere.

I wear Alpinestar boots, LS2 modular helmet, a MESH riding jacket with armor, and mesh armored pants.

I posted in reply to FULL LEATHER - which if you read my post you would have seen.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Where is the post in which I said this ? Nowhere.

I wear Alpinestar boots, LS2 modular helmet, a MESH riding jacket with armor, and mesh armored pants.

I posted in reply to FULL LEATHER - which if you read my post you would have seen.

Ah, you mean HarrySeaman, just relooked at the thread, that's where you confused me, apologies & well done on looking after your person while riding ???????????????? However, my post about the no helmet idiots, the flip flop brigade and T shirt lovers still stand, I really don't understand why guys with loving wives & a couple of doting kids they put themselves at immense risk cos they can't be assed to wear a helmet or protective gear.

I have concerns when the Mrs goes out on her bike, I always tell her to drive carefully, but it's not her I need to worry about it's the other muppets.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately I'm in RoiEt, not Bangkok, so the choices are limited.

I initially went to a store and tried on a variety of helmets, the owner didn't speak English but was really helpful (His kids apparently go/went to the school I teach at, and I was wearing a school shirt) and so when none of his helmets fitted me he showed me a couple of other nearby stores which had helmets, but unfortunately the only ones big enough were what looked like motorcross helmets, with a flip up mask but with combination of big head + big + beard didn't work with these.

But yeah, so ended up ordering from the same shop I'd brought my old one, and asked for the same model etc (Showed him the helmet).  Didn't really get what I wanted (fluro green instead of white & with the quick release strap is too short on the side with the clasp, so a quick release definitely isn't possible, since it's wedged between my face & the helmet, which jams it closed).

Anywho, might try popping back into his shop and see if it's possible to extend the strap somehow.  I figured others might have encountered the same problem in the past (The strap is too small even for my wife to open/close it easily if she puts it on), but from the sounds no one has.

Edited by PapaNasty