Trained sniffer dogs to be sent to airport to detect asymptomatic COVID-19 cases

webfact

3 hours ago, djayz said:

Can dogs be trained to detect diseases?!?

they can smell some illness, but the main thing is.So far as i am aware.you can have corona even if you have the jab.It kind of makes me think ~well what's the point then 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

they can smell some illness, but the main thing is.So far as i am aware.you can have corona even if you have the jab.It kind of makes me think ~well what's the point then 

The point is in the  degree of seriousness of illness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you take the trouble to read the article posted by @rabas earlier, you'll discover that these dogs are trained to work in a controlled environment. A meat market is the very antithesis of that! It would more likely cause olfactory confusion than accurate detection!

Better to have them in the environment they have been trained to function at their in. 

I have read the article posted by @Rabas together with the sub links contained within. As I read it, the dogs are initially trained in a controlled environment but then gain further training and experience in the environment or situation that they are earmarked for. That can be anywhere. Could be a conflict of interest on the dogs part in a meat market I agree but the onus is on the training. People could be checked prior to entering if need be.. The scheme could be expanded to shopping malls or wherever the need arises and I feel that at this moment in time, the airports are not a priority. At some point in the future then yes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I reckon that dog’s been sniffing out the donuts too !!!! (mean comment, i know, couldn’t resist !!!)

This actually seems like a good idea. There are many articles around that Dogs can detect Covid-19 in patience along with other diseases. Interestingly so humans with ‘super smell’ can also detect Alzheimer’s.

There is a lot to be said for Odour - everything has it to some extent, even if we cannot detect it. 

BUT... ALL of that said.... You Thai Bashers out there, please do not let facts get in the way of making complete idiots of yourselves and using this opportunity to blindly throw ridicule at Thailand. 

Virus sniffer dogs '94 per cent accurate'

https://thewest.com.au/news/health/virus-sniffer-dogs-94-per-cent-accurate-ng-s-2048042  

Well done to the trainers at Chulalongkorn University, i hope it proves to be a great success.
Here's an idea, if you can train dogs to do something so clever, any chance you could get involved with the DLT and teach most Thais to ride and drive safely ????

I have no problem with the concept if it is done professionally and the dogs have been trained properly and that training tested countless times and verified the dogs and handlers know exactly what they are doing. I just have a trust problem with it being implemented properly and professionally in Thailand . The dog I can pretty much trust but it’s the training it’s been given and naturally the handler that I have a problem with. It will end up being used as a scam to make money sooner than later...it always does!

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can not make this stuff up.  Next they will deploy the dogs to sniff and see if the tourists arriving have enough money in their wallets, and of course the needed insurance.  So then of course there will be no need for the IO to ask or check. On leaving Thailand the dogs will sniff them to make sure they do not have any more cash left, and then they will be found to have Covid so off to the hospital to garner the last amount of money from the Insurance company.  Just saying.

This post may contain portions of sarcasm or it may not.

They already have in many countries currency detection dogs..

Edited by Asquith Production
spelling

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Professor Dr. Kaywalee Chatdarong, vice dean of the research and innovations section of the Veterinary Faculty and chief of the project,

So the dogs sniff around, find a carrier and then what ?

Can the dogs actually get infected, are they immune, can they spread the infection, do they need to enter quarantine after finding an infected person, can they be inoculated... so many questions

I need to go lay down.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

So the dogs sniff around, find a carrier and then what ?

Can the dogs actually get infected, are they immune, can they spread the infection, do they need to enter quarantine after finding an infected person, can they be inoculated... so many questions

I need to go lay down.

Why lay down, it is Saint Patricks day, the green beer should be flowing, then the corned beef and cabbage.  Got the slow cooker already roaring, and the house smelling good.  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tingtong said:

Good news then!

Huge street dog population here: is a very deep pool of talents to train

There's a deep pool of something, but it ain't talent [unless talent comes in the shade of brown]

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Why lay down, it is Saint Patricks day, the green beer should be flowing, then the corned beef and cabbage.  Gotthe slow cooker already roaring, and the house smelling good.  

Corned beef, cabbage washed down with a beer... may need to open the windows later.

nothing to do with the slow cooker.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You just can not make this stuff up.  Next they will deploy the dogs to sniff and see if the tourists arriving have enough money in their wallets, and of course the needed insurance.  So then of course there will be no need for the IO to ask or check. On leaving Thailand the dogs will sniff them to make sure they do not have any more cash left, and then they will be found to have Covid so off to the hospital to garner the last amount of money from the Insurance company.  Just saying.

This post may contain portions of sarcasm or it may not.

Velly interesting,  what scent does covid 19 have, can it be detected if I wearing Aramis cologne?

• Sad 2