Thailand approves Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

The thing about the J&J vaccine is it's marketed as single shot but it seems to be less effective than one shot of the Astrazeneca vaccine. I'm all for as many vaccines as possible but this one doesn't magically achieve in one shot what the others do in two.

Based on what is being slowly uncovered in the original clinical and the more recent US clinical, the AZ vaccine looks far less efficacious than originally thought.  Additionally, as more is learned about all of the vaccines it appears that they mainly work to mitigate symptoms but not necessarily the virus.  In this regard the J&J vaccine is very effective against severe and moderate infection symptoms.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

The thing about the J&J vaccine is it's marketed as single shot but it seems to be less effective than one shot of the Astrazeneca vaccine. I'm all for as many vaccines as possible but this one doesn't magically achieve in one shot what the others do in two.

Not really it is actually quite close with many benefits besides the single dose

#1 it is the well tolerated virus vector, vaccine rather than the mRNA type that while seemingly doing well really has a short track record

with some new techniques like coding a molecule injecting it into your body which is then given instructions then it supposedly deletes itself??

But ... the J&J vaccine has 72% overall efficacy and 86% efficacy against severe disease in the U.S. Which is dang good actually

Compared to say the mRNA Pfizer or Moderna  which have a reported 94-95% efficiency

The one I personally like the sound of (if I am ever required to vaccinate to travel) is the Novavax

"While the Novavax vaccine is still being studied, early trials have shown no adverse events"

Read about it & a short list of the others here at Yale Medicine

Very good short article

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Based on what is being slowly uncovered in the original clinical and the more recent US clinical, the AZ vaccine looks far less efficacious than originally thought.  Additionally, as more is learned about all of the vaccines it appears that they mainly work to mitigate symptoms but not necessarily the virus.  In this regard the J&J vaccine is very effective against severe and moderate infection symptoms.  

I think that analysis of all the relevant data showed only a 5-8 percentage point drop from the prior efficacy numbers.  Still good IMO and I'd take the vaccine if it ever becomes available in the LoS.

What's disturbing is all these unforced errors by their clinical team (which may be pressured from the top).  It's unusual for a large pharmaceutical to make these types and volume of "mistakes" and makes me wonder how much influence their academic partners have in the process.  I think it's a good vaccine.  But I also think it's been a textbook case in how not to conduct a clinical trial.  People in pharma will still be talking about this for the next decade at least.

Edited by pseudorabies
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Do any of the private hospitals actually have stocks of the Western vaccines yet, or is it just more pipe-dreaming?

I believe they are sending out questionnaires to determine how much they may need to obtain to meet the demand.  I had one such request from BNH checking to see if I needed a vaccination.  Taking a survey is what they are doing.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

76-78% effective apparently...this and other vaccines are designed to save you for going to the hospital and dying

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Simple, compare how many vaccinated got infected, hospitaized and/or died with those without the vaccine. Undoubtedly, it will be much less with those that are vaccinated.

It remains to be seen how are the antibody levels are after 90 days. The data should be coming out any day now since most large quantity  vaccinations started around January.

Hoping to see that data/analysis soon and keeping my fingers crossed the effectiveness period is much longer than 90 days, but also realizing longer-term very possibly needs a booster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunpeer said:

yep, same for me! it will be after June that we can expect it!

I wonder what the price for farangs will be!

Does the cost really matter? I'd just like to have a vaccination card so I'd be able to exit the country in case of a family emergency and be able to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It may not but if it's effective enough and you can help 20milj people with 20milj shots and not just 10milj people with 20milj shots that's a win win in my book . Sign me up and i am dutch by the way so that's a win win win ????

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

76-78% effective apparently...this and other vaccines are designed to save you for going to the hospital and dying

In the rest of the world even after having the vaccine and then being infected you can ride it out at home.  Here in Thailand I am sure they will still make you spend your time clearing the virus in the hospital just like they currently do.  However, if they are going to waive quarantine for those that have been vaccinated, what happens when they test positive upon trying to return from whence they came.  Can of worms and a hurdle we have not even gotten to yet.  However, I do see it possibly happening.  If and when that happens and they lock everything down instead of just treating it as a nothing burger .......well I hate to speculate.

Good. I'll start reminding my doctor I want J&J on my visit to him next Wednesday. AZ looks like a mess, constantly submitting dodgy trials results, Pfizer had some people fall dead when they used it, Moderna cost an arm and a leg, and the Russians and the Chinese could be putting rat poison in theirs for all anybody knows, as they refuse to make documentation available.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In the rest of the world even after having the vaccine and then being infected you can ride it out at home.  Here in Thailand I am sure they will still make you spend your time clearing the virus in the hospital just like they currently do.  However, if they are going to waive quarantine for those that have been vaccinated, what happens when they test positive upon trying to return from whence they came.  Can of worms and a hurdle we have not even gotten to yet.  However, I do see it possibly happening.  If and when that happens and they lock everything down instead of just treating it as a nothing burger .......well I hate to speculate.

If you are planning a trip to China you will need a Chinese vaccine or they will put you threw the hoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFgPXUJUsg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Don´t keep your hopes too high.  J&J is having massive delivery problems in Europe!

Not delivery problems, supply problems.  Just like all the other manufacturers.  They can't make enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Anutin Charnvirankul told reporters the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had approved the vaccine, in addition to those of AstraZeneca and Sinovac Biotech, which have already been administered in the country.

wonder how the people who received the Sinovac/Biotech vaccine feel, after reading the latest news, did Anutin or Prayut got it    555

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/two-more-deaths-another-nine-temporary-facial-paralysis-cases-after-covid-vaccinations/ar-BB1eWjlX

Two more deaths, another nine temporary facial paralysis cases after Covid vaccinations

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I am pretty sure JJ is doing a second 3rd phase trial now with 2 shots?  Still more effective than the Flu shot and will save lives.  

Moderna is going thru the process with Thai FDA now, thats a different ball park at 90% + 

14 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Absolutely. I'll take any vaccine if it's needed to travel or for public health reasons but if I had the choice it wouldn't be this one. Anyway, they're currently testing to see if two shots are more effective which they almost certainly will be.

Quite. It will be a question of personal perspective but I am with you and travel could well be an issue.

If a vaccine is marketed as a double shot every chance that immigration will require both shots be administered to recognise vaccination, irrespective of effectiveness. Something to consider before planning a trip out of the country.

• Like 1

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from some site without a supporting link has been removed.

A covid conspiracy post and a reply has been removed. 

An off topic trolling post with a trolling image has been removed.  Some other troll posts and the replies have been removed.