Tar/bitumen

mek

Because of poorly organized roadwork here in Chiang Rai I've had my car splashed with tar/bitumen. 

It's literally a bit everywhere. Doors, panels, wheel cases, brake dics etc. ????

Does anybody know what to do?

Mek

IMG_20210331_185149.jpg

IMG_20210331_185144.jpg

IMG_20210331_185139.jpg

IMG_20210331_184125.jpg

IMG_20210331_184054.jpg

IMG_20210331_184058.jpg

IMG_20210331_183418.jpg

IMG_20210331_183408.jpg

Edited by mek

3 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Go to home pro, there should be a auto products kiosk in there.

They sell wax, sponges, cleaning products.

Look for a spray bottle that says oil and grease remover, stuff is magic. spray it on the areas and the oil/tar will run off the vehicle. I've used this stuff many times. 

Buy a bottle of this and take it and your car to your local car wash. Give them the spray and an extra hundred baht and they will do the rest.

• Like 1

For the paintwork I used cheap margarine, smear some over the tar and leave it for ten minutes and rub off. You may need to repeat it a couple of times but it works really well without damaging the paintwork.

• Thanks 1

I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks after buying our car.  Highway 106 from Ban Hong to Lamphun in one place was covered in oil from shoulder to shoulder.  No way past it you had to go though it.  Really stupid, poor, negligent roadwork.  But - TIT. 

We took the car to a local car wash where you drove the car up a ramp so they can get under the car with spray.  Wife told the employees to clean it the best they could.  Don't know what they used but they got all the oil and tar off without damaging the paint or other car parts.  Took about an hour and cost a couple of hundred baht.  You should be able to find a place like that in Chiang Mai I imagine.  If you want to drive an hour to Lamphun province I'll send you the Google Maps link to the car wash we used.  It's on Highway 11 out in the boon-docks.

3 hours ago, Lapdog said:

A certain way of removing tar is good old petrol, wet a cloth and go for it. Restor wax/finish after. Sorry, smoking not a good idea.

You beat me to it. Make sure a BBQ chicken vendor doesn't park next to you while you're in the process.????

2 hours ago, connda said:

I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks after buying our car.  Highway 106 from Ban Hong to Lamphun in one place was covered in oil from shoulder to shoulder.  No way past it you had to go though it.  Really stupid, poor, negligent roadwork.  But - TIT. 

We took the car to a local car wash where you drove the car up a ramp so they can get under the car with spray.  Wife told the employees to clean it the best they could.  Don't know what they used but they got all the oil and tar off without damaging the paint or other car parts.  Took about an hour and cost a couple of hundred baht.  You should be able to find a place like that in Chiang Mai I imagine.  If you want to drive an hour to Lamphun province I'll send you the Google Maps link to the car wash we used.  It's on Highway 11 out in the boon-docks.

in USA when you buy a new car they always try to sell you an 'undercoat' . This usually just a thick tarry oil that closes some small fissures and cracks that would accumulate dirt/sand which would retain moisture, causing rust. Think of it as a moisture seal. Of course having it on the exhaust pipe or muffler isn't pleasant until it burns off.

The point is that such a coating as you got for free should have been left on the underside of your car. Obviously it is not helpful to have it on the outside though.

Thanks for the advice. We ended up leaving the vehicle with one of the car wash shops. After making a couple of enquires where the price was approximately the same we decided on a shop.

I'm excited to see if they managed when I pick up the car this arvo since there was literally tar everywhere and bitumen road on the fenders.

Mek

• Like 1

Kerosene is best and cheapest by far as the black emoleum is made with kero,i know cause i used to cart 200 l. drums of the stuff out of melbourne up country,bottom of the drums would split and leak onto truck wheels and get sprayed everywhere,one hell of a mess sometimes.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:54 PM, mek said:

Does anybody know what to do?

Yes , We in Aus use Power kerosene , that's what the road workers use to clean their tools and implements.   Don't know where to get this in Los . 

One Can use a mix 50/50 of Diesel and Petrol. 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, digger70 said:

Yes , We in Aus use Power kerosene , that's what the road workers use to clean their tools and implements.   Don't know where to get this in Los . 

One Can use a mix 50/50 of Diesel and Petrol. 

You can buy it from Home Pro in metal cans usually I. The section where they sell the turps.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, mek said:

Thanks for the advice. We ended up leaving the vehicle with one of the car wash shops. After making a couple of enquires where the price was approximately the same we decided on a shop.

I'm excited to see if they managed when I pick up the car this arvo since there was literally tar everywhere and bitumen road on the fenders.

Mek

Very brave decision ... happy with the result?