"It's not time yet" to relax Thailand’s laws on foreigners owning land/property, say analysts

webfact

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Can't understand why anyone ever believes this type of Fake News anyway !   Anyone who has lived here for a few years knows it will never happen.

Decades ago children born with foreign father's couldn't automatically get Thai citizenship. That changed....why can't this? Like all things it really rests in the changing of the guard, a better government. Maybe soon.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I think you are off base when talking about the Thai in the USA and requirements. It is still fairly easy for Thai to go to the USA and to get a green card and then PR and then citizenship. No way is it $500,000. I know a lot of Thai in the USA and a friend who just got approval for his gal fiancé' to go.

I'm talking about myself. If I want to retire to the US, as a Thai, I have to invest 16 million baht. A retiree from the US can retire here for under 20k baht, bypassing legal requirements and doesn't need to invest anything, or just pay $60 a year and transfer pension funds to a thai bank. A huge difference. 

Yes, I could marry a US woman, God forbid, to masks it easier. US men have a huge advantage here, when it comes to available, attractive spouses. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

they will not change the laws to allow foreigners to buy the land that their house sits on

and I agree with this

it was a Royal Decree

i think anyone that buys a house here, and therefore cannot buy the land, needs their head examining........but hey ho.....when you have an asset and money grabbing thai women nagging you all the time.......I guess you are going to give in.  If you want to continue getting laid of course

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm talking about myself. If I want to retire to the US, as a Thai, I have to invest 16 million baht. A retiree from the US can retire here for under 20k baht, bypassing legal requirements and doesn't need to invest anything, or just pay $60 a year and transfer pension funds to a thai bank. A huge difference. 

Yes, I could marry a US woman, God forbid, to masks it easier. US men have a huge advantage here, when it comes to available, attractive spouses. 

EB-5. But more than like other than here in Thailand you are more than likely to get your money back out. Also PR and citizenship is going to be 99.9% guaranteed. There are other ways to go to the USA to stay. So the proverbial $500k USD is stretching it unless you have it and an expertise you can use. Seems like you have some sort of expertise? E2 is the cheapest way and you as the non working business owner get to make the income. There are other ways as employment through letters of guarantee etc, so EB-5 is too much. Heck, if Thailand gave me the opportunity such like the EB-2 @ $100k USD option, then this is a no brainer easy one. A retiree visa here is false. I would even gather that you could come on a B2, set up a partnership business and then have your partner send a guarantee letter for employment, get a green card and change your status, live there and then get PR going to citizenship.  In a sense it is much easier for a peace of mind there and you do not have to renew every 11 months. Besides, you not actually Thai so isn't it the UK?

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

EB-5. But more than like other than here in Thailand you are more than likely to get your money back out. Also PR and citizenship is going to be 99.9% guaranteed. There are other ways to go to the USA to stay. So the proverbial $500k USD is stretching it unless you have it and an expertise you can use. Seems like you have some sort of expertise? E2 is the cheapest way and you as the non working business owner get to make the income. There are other ways as employment through letters of guarantee etc, so EB-5 is too much. Heck, if Thailand gave me the opportunity such like the EB-2 @ $100k USD option, then this is a no brainer easy one. A retiree visa here is false. I would even gather that you could come on a B2, set up a partnership business and then have your partner send a guarantee letter for employment, get a green card and change your status, live there and then get PR going to citizenship.  In a sense it is much easier for a peace of mind there and you do not have to renew every 11 months. Besides, you not actually Thai so isn't it the UK?

anyway you look at it, it is more than likely more fair for going to the USA to get a long term visa, then PR and then citizenship than the facade they give us here for long termers. But yes, i have lived here almost 30 yrs and yes I did choose to live here and generally am happy, that is until they kick us out. then I might have to use my connections to stay if a must and if still applicable as I have helped the Thai government before a couple of times...

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, starky said:

The usual blah blah flip flop backflip....and by the way even if any of this bullah were true how many people would be willing to by a 10-15 million baht house on a promise?

My threshold to sink into anything here has been 6 million to date and then add the years of spending adding up to way over total 10 million +. I would spend another 2 - 3 million to buy something, but not on their terms, and in the end I know it will still only go to my family and kids after I pass away. I'm not rich so 10 million is a cold day in HE**. Better to save in a USA guaranteed bank and then give the real money after I die to my kids and wife. No way in a million years, and 10 million baht I do have.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Those "bureaucratic visa requirements" are in place simply because a lot of Thais do not abide by the conditions of their visa, end up overstaying, working and cause other issues, which the majority of Westerners travelling to holiday in Thailand generally do not do. 

Thailand is a developing country therefore screening Thais visiting Western countries is essential to prove for adequate funds and insurance that they will abide by the terms of their visa and return home.

If we are talking about reciprocal agreements then I'm sure you'd have no problem with the following in Western countries:

Police cars equipped with facial recognition cameras patrolling the streets to monitor Thais.

90 day reporting for all Thais.

Narrow pathways for Thais to obtain residency - only Thai women married to Western men eligible or men and women through permanent residency route (3 years for PR then an additional 5 to achieve citizenship, same criteria applies as in Thailand).

Quota of 50 Thais per year able to achieve permanent residency, same for citizenship.

Similar conditions that violate human rights in overcrowded cells for those detained on immigration offences.

Press conferences highlighting any and all Thais caught for crimes and visa violations on local news media.

Fingerprints and facial recognition taken of Thais on entry and exit to Western countries.

Ya know, I really like your post. 

I understand the reluctance, just look at Vancouver Canada, USA, Australia (and many other places.). The Chinese bought up as much as was available and now citizens can not afford to buy land or home. If foreigners were allowed to buy land Thailand would join Laos and Cambodia as provinces of China. Then locals must rent from a Chinese landlord at inflated prices.

• Like 2

Was this crazy idea going to be ,you can only buy from certain real estate companies,  like the elite visa?    I could never see them letting foreigners buy just any Thai person's land.  Or purchase for  fair market price for that matter.   Foreigners are nothing but people to be scammed.  Or how do they put it.  Schemed!  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

anyway you look at it, it is more than likely more fair for going to the USA to get a long term visa, then PR and then citizenship than the facade they give us here for long termers. But yes, i have lived here almost 30 yrs and yes I did choose to live here and generally am happy, that is until they kick us out. then I might have to use my connections to stay if a must and if still applicable as I have helped the Thai government before a couple of times...

I hope not this government.

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Everything the Government or so called officials say is not true... Same sex marriage, 90 day report land and house owning.. no covid restrictions, just name it.... Stop giving fake hopes to people..

The 'fake hope' was 'given' by property developers who were eyeing sales numbers and profits. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

In addition he pointed out that foreigners were hardly beating a path to Thailand's door. 

Is it remotely possible.........Thailand is NOT the centre of the Universe???

chiang-mai-centre-of-the-universe-6160.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

It's also high time that Thais were allowed to stay in Western countries for up to 30 days without having to go through formidable bureaucratic hurdles involved in obtaining a suitable visa, like my Thai wife had to in order to accompany me on a 12-day trip back to the UK several years ago. An eye for an eye, as you say.

I doubt you'll get very much sympathy for Thais here. The FO told me while negotiating for a visa for my former wife, that in general, Thai are not welcome in UK, and it's their behaviour which is the cause. Same in USA.

19 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Agree. See so many of these headlines. When I read them now is automatically replace the words like 'will, hopes to, aims to', etc with NEVER WILL'. 

So many things they get people's hopes up for, only to have the idea fade away over time to be forgotten. 

Remember the hundreds of 'hubs' that Thailand was going to be for this or that?  What about the zero plastic waste (more plastic then ever now), and the stopping the burning and pollution? 

So many things. 

Well they need something to do and talking nonsense is easy, doesn't take much effort, and doesn't change anything - which is Thai normal. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you want Thailand to make retirees invest $500,000 in order to get a long-term visa, like for Thais in the US?

EB-5 limits raised ~ one year ago to $900,000 (TEA, a potentially less desireable place to invest/live), and $1,800,000 standard.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HOAX said:

Of course its not time, it never will be, but isn't it time for all other countries to ban Thais from owning property, not allowing Thais to do any other work than massage and cooking, not allowing Thais to invest and not giving them citizenship and all the benefits it gives? You know, an eye for an eye, for once.

Unfortunately those countries where many Thai billionaires have syphoned their ill gotten gains off to invest are some of the biggest legalised money laundering centres in the world and they would hate the Thais to pull their dirty money out in protest. They would need to confiscate property and freeze their overseas bank accounts simultaneously, and that won't happen.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, Neeranam said:

Do you want Thailand to make retirees invest $500,000 in order to get a long-term visa, like for Thais in the US?

Thailand gives citizenship to foreigners. Fairly simple 3-year process for me. 

Maybe just keep the things that benefit you and get rid of the ones that don't?

I know foreign chefs here.

the U.S. does not require Thai's to deposit money into a U.S. bank.

Are you serious? All those "alien" laws were brought in after 1949, when the first batch of Chinese migrants had arrived and they wanted to make it clear, that - whoever follows - would not pee into their soup. 

Hence the "alien" business law, all those antiquated rules and regulations on immigration, business activities and land ownership. 

They will wait until New Year takes place in Summer; they screwed up tourism professionally and will make sure that real estate will follow suit. Latter will allow the selected few oligarch elite members of the Thai society to go shopping for real bargains by then - let's see ....... the writing is on the wall! 

London  has attracted  vast investment in its property market albeit  some from shady sources and yes that includes Thailand by allowing foreign and offshore investment  funds to artificially  inflate property values  enormously.  Can't  understand why Thailand  doesn't do the same,  not that I am holding up the UKs corrupt money laundering as any sort of example!. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

London  has attracted  vast investment in its property market albeit  some from shady sources and yes that includes Thailand by allowing foreign and offshore investment  funds to artificially  inflate property values  enormously.  Can't  understand why Thailand  doesn't do the same,  not that I am holding up the UKs corrupt money laundering as any sort of example!. 

There was guy on the TV yesterday.....corruption expert......he was asked where is the most corrupt place?........Nigeria?.......Cayman Islands? .......Panama?...... He laughed!....... No....... London is by far and away the most corrupt place on Earth....everywhere else pales into insignificance

• Like 1