Do lockdowns work?

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would think a better response to COVID would be to force everyone to be healthy.

Forced diets for fat people and a compulsory hour of exercise every day.

Probably more effective than the experimental gene therapy.

And how would you suggest to treat the unhealthy under weight people, government provided food packs and forced feeding ?

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/advice-for-underweight-adults/#:~:text=Weighing too little can contribute,body mass index (BMI).

Edited by Excel
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would think a better response to COVID would be to force everyone to be healthy.

Forced diets for fat people and a compulsory hour of exercise every day.

Probably more effective than the experimental gene therapy.

Well put!  Too many don't exercise, are fat, smoke, etc.  I've always been a proponent of having health insurance be based on your health.  At least health issues that are within your control.  Sadly, many aren't smart enough to take care of themselves.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Don't deflect.  Come on.  And impossible to even try to compare suicides to the more than 3MM that have died so far.  And the millions more who ended up in the hospital or now have long covid.  Ridiculous comparison.

Ridiculous IN YOUR OPINION.

Given I disagree with most of your viewpoint, my opinion is different.

IMO problems caused by lockdowns will persist long after corona has become just another flu type infection.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ridiculous IN YOUR OPINION.

Given I disagree with most of your viewpoint, my opinion is different.

IMO problems caused by lockdowns will persist long after corona has become just another flu type infection.

Show me a credible link listing how many suicides are DIRECTLY linked to lock downs.  No arguments lock downs have an impact on mental health.  But to say it's worse than the millions of deaths is wrong.  And that's not an opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Show me a credible link listing how many suicides are DIRECTLY linked to lock downs.  No arguments lock downs have an impact on mental health.  But to say it's worse than the millions of deaths is wrong.  And that's not an opinion.

Surely you ain't gonna play that game?

Why don't you show me a credible link showing how many died as a direct result of corona and no underlying health problems, compared to those that died WITH corona and would have died soon anyway even if not infected.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely you ain't gonna play that game?

Why don't you show me a credible link showing how many died as a direct result of corona and no underlying health problems, compared to those that died WITH corona and would have died soon anyway even if not infected.

Deflect, Ignore, Deny.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, so how many died OF corona, and how many died WITH it? People die early all the time of war, starvation, car accidents, preventable diseases etc, but IMO the world doesn't do much about those problems compared with what it's doing about corona.

I can't understand why people would make such ignorant posts. Yeah, I know one of your internet friends sent you some lies like "they died with Covid, not from it", and you were gullible enough to believe it. 

Here is a fact for you: in many countries, Covid deaths are significantly under counted. 

Here's another fact: among the major causes of death, none but Covid-19 are communicable. 

So, whatever crazy point you were trying to make, consider the facts first. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The true economic, mental and social effects of lockdowns won't be known for years after.  Hence it doesn't create the same drama as Covid deaths.

Economic and social effects are vastly different than suicides.  Suicide numbers are known today.  And are minuscule in comparison to the number of covid deaths.  No comparison.

Economic and social effects are also pretty well known.  GDP growth is a great indicator.

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Suicide was just one of 5 examples of unintended consequences of lockdowns that I gave, yet you seize on that to make much of. There are many more problems that arise from lockdowns as well that I didn't put down.

The next generation will not thank us for what governments have done to their future, IMO.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Suicide was just one of 5 examples of unintended consequences of lockdowns that I gave, yet you seize on that to make much of. There are many more problems that arise from lockdowns as well that I didn't put down.

The next generation will not thank us for what governments have done to their future, IMO.

I would think unemployment and home foreclosures/evictions would probably at the top of the list.

Pensions have already gone, and any saving people had will be gone as well. 

There's going to be a lot more struggling poor in the west.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

And anyway, there has been no increase in suicide rate in 2020, at least in the USA and France (the countries in which I checked).