Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thailand reports 2,438 coronavirus cases, daily record of 11 deaths

Jonathan Fairfield

5 hours ago, lks7689 said:

Only when you belong to that 0.5 percent will it significantly matter apparently. 

The same if a total lockdown is imposed, and new infections drop by 90 percent. That lockdown doesn’t mean anything to the 10% infected that day.

5 hours ago, Baggy said:

We only hear about what is allegedly reported.many deaths, when I ask "what he/ she die from answer " just old"

My experience has been the opposite: if anyone dies from Covid, the news spreads to every village around. Note that if an elder is infected, usually other family members are infected, too. So, it’s hard to keep that quiet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, the green light said:

Regarding tourism-- forget it nobody will come this year to Thailand.

No freaking kidding.

The only ones who believe such delusions of millions of visitors are the TAT.  

Trust me on this, the Chinese will not come, vaccinated or not.  Thailand government, get your **** together.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

I knew you would be here as one of the first responders, which wouldn't have been the case if the numbers had increased.

The good direction you are claiming, is also called the weekend direction, because as during every weekend, there is less activity in testing, so numbers will be lower.

Let's see on Tuesday when the Monday numbers are reported

You are correct I do follow and comment on the daily numbers closely as they are the main barometer of the seriousness of SARS-CoV-2 infections in the country. Are you ticked off because my comments were earlier than yours...what relevance is the order of member's comments? I mean, to post such a thought wouldn't even occur to me. I don't know why you seem to have a bee in your bonnet re my comments on this topic and I comment on both increases and decreases in reported new infections. If you'd bother to look, you would have seen that I've previously said weekend numbers in many countries are subject to revision (usually upward) because of the logistics and vagaries of the reporting systems. However, unless and until they are revised, they're the figures we have to go on. Yes, we shall see what the numbers are in the coming week...and it almost appears that you're rooting for higher numbers, i.e., an increase in infections and deaths. Why?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

4 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

Does anyone know what the positivity rate actually is?  It would be helpful to know how many tests they are doing and how many people test positive.  Also it would be helpful to learn where the outbreaks occur so that we can avoid those areas.  Is this information available in English?

The information on random testing is sparse, and not broken down by province.

The overall test numbers are a little less than 20,000 per day, but it is unknown what part of that are tests for walking with symptoms. 

However, the breakdown of cases into provincial numbers is available, and I saw the Chaiyaphum provincial numbers today, broken down by tampon - scary.

8 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Now should take head out from behind! Make test station for free 10-20 place every province! And make some kind home quarantine option! 

impossible.. it will look bad for the government..

the government goal is to show that they are handling this matter  well. they want lower numbers.

because they do not have any plan in place. just like the vaccine roll out.

10 minutes ago, the green light said:

it does not matter how you look at the numbers and justify to yourself it is just temporary and everything else is back to normal in few weeks,

No one here has the data to know the future trajectory of the epidemic. It may have peaked, or this may just be the beginning. We don’t have the random sampling data.

People are nervous, and are expressing their apprehensions, that’s normal. 

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes, we shall see what the numbers are in the coming week...and it almost appears that you're rooting for higher numbers, i.e., an increase in infections and deaths. Why?

I'm not rooting for higher numbers, I'm only with my 2 feet on the ground, and not continuous claiming that everything is under control and there is no problem, which you do

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Plus carry hand sanitizer and use it, deep distance.

And if it will give you some comfort wear medical gloves (easy and cheap to buy) and chance the gloves regularly.

And beware of touching your mouth nose and eyes.

Because every medical expert has warned that the SARS-CoV-2 RESPIRATORY virus can pass through pores in the skin or small hand cuts and abrasions.  

This is precisely the opposite of almost all medical advice.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

No one here has the data to know the future trajectory of the epidemic. It may have peaked, or this may just be the beginning. We don’t have the random sampling data.

People are nervous, and are expressing their apprehensions, that’s normal. 

nobody can predict when a virus infection has peaked because this virus mutate very fast and what kind a precaution you take to prevent infection. with no vaccination yet.. things can go out of hand.

The only way to control it now  is full lock down and no travel especially when the vaccine is being  administered.

Countries with a strong vaccination rollout still are having problem  with their infected numbers going up.... they had their first, second and third lock down.

the government will use trump's trick that it is nothing and it will all go away by mid summer and back to normal. 

Sorry people....don't get your hopes up.. full lock down is coming.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Raw data is just that raw data not filtered into categories, its the total tests done in all labs. Useful for product control and budgets. It is not useful for the filtered official results published daily on the CCSA reports.

The official CCSA reports you refer to do nto contain the number of tests, period. You are confusing numbers of PUI with numbers tested.

It does not need filtering into categories to calculate total tests done and positivity rate nationwide. 

Various categorizations (e.g. by location) can be found here https://github.com/djay/covidthailand/#tests-per-confirmed-case

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

I'm not rooting for higher numbers, I'm only with my 2 feet on the ground, and not continuous claiming that everything is under control and there is no problem, which you do

I've said cases have obviously gone up, likely due to the travel and socializing associated with Songkran, and I have supported the two-week lockdown "lite" that's in effect until May 1st. (Some places, like Bangkok, an infection epicenter, have now instituted their own stricter measures, which I support.) What i have not supported, at this time, is a return to a strict NATIONWIDE 4-6 week lockdown like last April/May. However, if there isn't clear and sustained improvement by the end of lockdown lite, then a full lockdown may be necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the green light said:

nobody can predict when a virus infection has peaked because this virus mutate very fast and what kind a precaution you take to prevent infection. with no vaccination yet.. things can go out of hand.

The only way to control it now  is full lock down and no travel especially when the vaccine is being  administered.

Countries with a strong vaccination rollout still are having problem  with their infected numbers going up.... they had their first, second and third lock down.

the government will use trump's trick that it is nothing and it will all go away by mid summer and back to normal. 

Sorry people....don't get your hopes up.. full lock down is coming.

The three countries with the highest vaccination rates are the US, the UK and Israel. All 3 have seen steep declines in infection rates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

That is the total number of tests, which includes repeat testing on the ame patient. That is data from the MoPH site. I've not seen any information on the positivity rate from Thailand, which is very important. Anything above 5% and the virus is spreading more than it is being accounted for. 

Same patient is not repeat tested in a given day. (And the data you respond to is incorrect, the actual number is currently over 50,000 a day).

Positivity rate is readily available from sites already posted in this thread. Currently stands at about 4%. Up from 1-2% before this wave began but still so far under the 5% benchmark. The MoPH is well aware of the significance of positivity rate and expands testing accordingly. It us just that the massive nationwide testing some here are insisting should be done, is not indicated by the positivity rate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Same patient is not repeat tested in a given day. (And the data you respond to is incorrect, the actual number is currently over 50,000 a day).

Positivity rate is readily available from sites already posted in this thread. Currently stands at about 4%. Up from 1-2% before this wave began but still so far under the 5% benchmark. The MoPH is well aware of the significance of positivity rate and expands testing accordingly. It us just that the massive nationwide testing some here are insisting should be done, is not indicated by the positivity rate.

The resolution of the data available is not high enough to conclude the positivity rate is below 5%. I looked at the GitHub site, and the charts are based on certain assumptions, concerning which Persons Under Investigation received tests. 

Part of the problem is that the government stats are worded vaguely.

Also, the GitHub site claims that testing has jumped from 18,000, which other sites indicate, to 50,000 per day. I have not seen that number elsewhere (but the day is young).

Edited by Danderman123

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In another order issued overnight aimed at freeing up more beds in the country's emerging network of COVID field hospitals, the Ministry of Public Health ruled that COVID patients with no symptoms or minor symptoms can be allowed to serve the last few days of their quarantine recovering at home.

The order means a COVID patient with no symptoms would be allowed to leave after 10 days instead of 14 days, and instead spend the remaining days at home. A similar arrangement would be allowed for COVID patients with mild symptoms, once they have progressed in their field hospital stay and been symptom free for 24-48 hours.

Under the government's current policy, anyone testing positive for COVID is required to be assigned to a hospital bed or alternate hospital facility, such as the makeshift field hospitals, until they have recovered. Under the government's rules, only patients with no symptoms or mild symptoms -- who still can be contagious with COVID -- are supposed to be assigned to the field hospital facilities.

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/312248753726789

As much as they proclaim this order...

...many of the outer districts via puu yai bann have already begun to quarantine people in they're homes. With daily volunteers in Bunnie suits and 1/2 face respirators to monitor occupants. 

The local clinics, schools, gymnasiums and hospitals are already saturated beyond capacity. 

None of the smaller villages can afford transportation and first responder costs... gas costs money. MANPOWER COSTS MONEY. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Bradmeister said:

As much as they proclaim this order...

...many of the outer districts via puu yai bann have already begun to quarantine people in they're homes. With daily volunteers in Bunnie suits and 1/2 face respirators to monitor occupants. 

The local clinics, schools, gymnasiums and hospitals are already saturated beyond capacity. 

None of the smaller villages can afford transportation and first responder costs... gas costs money. MANPOWER COSTS MONEY. 

Do have any links to actual data showing saturation of healthcare facilities?

if your statement were true, then provincial numbers would be very high, whereas reported numbers for many provinces are barely in the double digits.

The first rule of Pandemic Club is not to spread misinformation.

Edited by Danderman123

From the article" "... over 24,000 cases and 46 deaths in just 25 days ..."

And how many more asymptomatic spreaders or those with mild symptoms are there?  Hope it doesn't go like the U.S., 2 bumps and a big bang. image.png.ca4ed7cdcf117ab43cd25068cda9c2ba.png

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The resolution of the data available is not high enough to conclude the positivity rate is below 5%. I looked at the GitHub site, and the charts are based on certain assumptions, concerning which Persons Under Investigation received tests. 

Part of the problem is that the government stats are worded vaguely.

Also, the GitHub site claims that testing has jumped from 18,000, which other sites indicate, to 50,000 per day. I have not seen that number elsewhere (but the day is young).

GitHub gets its data from MoPH.

There was indeed a huge jump in numbers being tested daily starting around 6 April. Because contrary to what some on this site insist, the MoPH does expand testing in response to  rising numbers of cases. It does not, as soem claim, try to limit case detection by limiting testing (which would in any event be a futile endeavor since it would feed the spread of the epidemic).

These are the actual number of tests done per day, from the MoPH lab site (the bottom row with totals is mine, rest is a straight download from the MoPH lab servcie)

image.png.5b32f4bdc77d6d5dd59a6b45ce3d79c2.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

GitHub gets its data from MoPH.

There was indeed a huge jump in numbers being tested daily starting around 6 April. Because contrary to what some on this site insist, the MoPH does expand testing in response to  rising numbers of cases. It does not, as soem claim, try to limit case detection by limiting testing (which would in any event be a futile endeavor since it would feed the spread of the epidemic).

These are the actual number of tests done per day, from the MoPH lab site (the bottom row with totals is mine, rest is a straight download from the MoPH lab servcie)

image.png.5b32f4bdc77d6d5dd59a6b45ce3d79c2.png

Why are the positive test numbers here higher than statistics reported in the media? 
it appears these figures are also likely including repeated tests on existing positive cases as well as new presentations and probably testing conducted in hotel quarantine too. 
without knowing the percentage of test and positive results from the different cohorts it is not possible from these figures to accurately determine the percentage of positivity on tests of new presentations. 

Edited by Swimfan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Why are the positive test numbers here higher than statistics reported in the media? 

Positive cases are tested more than once over their quarantine ????

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

This is the problem when hospitals start getting taken over by Covid patients, other medical problems such as heart disease, routine ops, etc start to get postponed or go undiagnosed. Hence the importance of keeping the numbers down to manageable levels so the whole health system keeps on functioning.

That’s why flattening the curve is so important, and so lockdowns are necessary if growth of new cases starts to overwhelm the healthcare system.

I suspect most anti-lockdown types, those who think that they are invincible to Covid-19, realize that they may require access to a hospital for other medical issues, and if their hospital is filled with other patients, that would be bad for them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smedly said:

The UK test near a million people per day - do you think that would make a difference, I believe Thailand is testing about 13k a day and are turning people away 

Testing and isolating certainly goes along way to control a pandemic. Imagine if on the extreme no-one was tested or isolated vs a million a day tested and isolated.

Independent action is being taken. My Thai GF has informed me if I don't get back to her village before 11 am tomorrow, I may be denied entry - the village is going into lockdown. How long that lockdown will last is another question.

Two villagers and a visiting Bangkok relative have been carted off by ambulance to the government hospital in Chiang Rai, COVID infected.

• Sad 3