Vaccine distribution is Thailand’s urgent national priority

snoop1130

000_8WY6KY.jpg

(Photo by Graeme Robertson / various sources / AFP)

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha has made vaccine distribution the most urgent national priority, following a meeting with an advisory board earlier today to find a “practical process” for the distribution.

Prayut said, in his Facebook post, that the government will procure more vaccines, with the goal of making 10-15 million doses available per month.

The government is coordinating with the private sector, to ensure more inoculation facilities are made available, to ease the workload on hospitals and public health officials in the national vaccination effort. He mentioned places such as conference halls, sport stadia, hotels and private hospitals.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/vaccine-distribution-is-thailands-urgent-national-priority/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-04-26

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha has made vaccine distribution the most urgent national priority, following a meeting with an advisory board earlier today to find a “practical process” for the distribution.

What else did he think what going to happen with SARS-CoV-2 and the Covid-19 crisis?

- Natural immunity as the virus gently swept through Thailand without overwhelming health care facilities (perhaps that was happening before B.1.1.7 threatened rampage)

- Thailand would lock down long enough and effectively enough that it would irradiate SARS-CoV-2, other countries would eradicate the virus ?

Did the PM never imagine he would need 140 million doses of a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine until he met his advisory board earlier today ?????

-----------

“practical process” for the distribution: - Get enough of it and send it to the hospitals !!!! thats it. 

The Maths: 

1318 hospitals in Thailand. 

Thailand Population: 69.73 Million

Assuming a fairly equal distribution vs population density spread of hospitals (just an assumption for numbers).

Thats 53,000 patients per hospital. 

Assuming 10 mins per patient, 20 doctors per hospital, 12 hours per day.

That 1440 patients / vaccinations per day. 

37 days for the first round of vaccinations. 

Obviously logistics are an issue - but getting hold of the vaccine to arrive in Thailand on decent schedule is key. There is enough refrigerated delivery companies which can be outsourced to for distribution to those hospitals (i.e. supermarket companies, logistics companies etc).

Of course - nothing is that perfect. But expedition national vaccination within 6 months is a perfectly achievable goal IMO - IF sufficient vaccine can be sourced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Seems to have changed his tune recently... now the sh*t has hit the fan.

• Like 1

The US has announced that they will share at least 60 million doses of the AZ vaccine.  Given how it was only last week, 5 months after it's release, that Thailand got in line for one of the mRNA vaccines let's see if the Thai government can be bothered to at least try to get some of the 60 million the US is offering.  My guess is that they will have some excuse not to and ignore like there was never an opportunity.

And the US should consider getting some of these doses to expats.  But I'm not holding my breath on that...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

There is fashionably late and then there is negligently late. Are Thai people accepting this response?

Thai people are generally very accepting. As Asians in general. 

I don't know why some are blaming Anutin and Prayut, as they have done better than most developed countries, like US, UK, Japan, Brazil, to make a few. 

US and UK do however have vaccines, dead pite being led by much bigger idiots than Prayut. 

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

The US has announced that they will share at least 60 million doses of the AZ vaccine.  Given how it was only last week, 5 months after it's release, that Thailand got in line for one of the mRNA vaccines let's see if the Thai government can be bothered to at least try to get some of the 60 million the US is offering.  My guess is that they will have some excuse not to and ignore like there was never an opportunity.

And the US should consider getting some of these doses to expats.  But I'm not holding my breath on that...

I heard a report from a top doctor who was saying in some countries the US embassies are offering its citizens vaccines.  Apparently Thailand is NOT one of those countries.

Edited by Farang123
  • Thanks 2

Just now, newnative said:

Yes, it's an 'urgent national priority'--to everyone in Thailand except the government.  Almost May and still just endless talk, endless planning, endless committees to do more studying.  Blah, blah, blah.  No urgency whatsoever.  Get on the phone to Biden today and see what can be in the air tomorrow.  Get cracking already.  As others have said, procurement is the urgent national priority.  

Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Farang123 said:

I heard a report from a top doctor who was saying in some countries the US embassies are offering its citizens vaccines.  Apparently Thailand is NOT one of those countries.

I heard from a top US diplomat that they are annoyed about Buriram Nois claiming government pensions for years after old Hank pops his clogs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nkg said:

There are a lot of countries in line to buy the mainstream vaccines. I really hope Thailand's AZ facility opens on time, and doesn't suffer from production issues.

That didn't deter PM Prayut who already has had his AZ vaccination despite limited distribution of Sinovac and Spudnik vaccines to Thais.

It's not a question of the AZ facility opening on time. It has already (unconfirmed by any outside company party) produced "five lines" of AZ but seems will not release until July 2021. Current inventory of AZ doses has not been disclosed to the public, apparently including the government that is paying for the vaccines.

Vaccine distribution is Thailand’s urgent national priority...

...now that the government is the focus of international embarrassment for throwing all their eggs into baskets that were suppose to fill with money for a select few wealthy Thais - but in the process?  They elevated revenue and profit above public safety and got caught doing so.  Now they are in damage control mode, so therefore - make the public suffer by issuing increasingly repressive dictates.
The future problem will be that the incoming 'experimental' Covid shots neither cure, stop a person from contracting the virus, nor stops the spread, although we are promised that if enough people take the shots "herd immunity" will be reached and we can return to "normal" Therefore, these increasingly repressive measures will be the "way of life" for all Thai citizens for a long time to come, or at least until the WHO or Bill Gates and Anthony Fauci or some super-star Thai "expert" claims enough shots have been given to reach 'herd immunity' - a day that I don't personally believe will ever arrive.  We're not ever going to be allowed to return to "normal."  "Normal" will be masks, social distancing, and the closure of all "fun" activities pretty much forever.
Welcome to Dystopia. 

-May you live in interesting times.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What else did he think what going to happen with SARS-CoV-2 and the Covid-19 crisis?

- Natural immunity as the virus gently swept through Thailand without overwhelming health care facilities (perhaps that was happening before B.1.1.7 threatened rampage)

- Thailand would lock down long enough and effectively enough that it would irradiate SARS-CoV-2, other countries would eradicate the virus ?

Did the PM never imagine he would need 140 million doses of a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine until he met his advisory board earlier today ?????

-----------

“practical process” for the distribution: - Get enough of it and send it to the hospitals !!!! thats it. 

The Maths: 

1318 hospitals in Thailand. 

Thailand Population: 69.73 Million

Assuming a fairly equal distribution vs population density spread of hospitals (just an assumption for numbers).

Thats 53,000 patients per hospital. 

Assuming 10 mins per patient, 20 doctors per hospital, 12 hours per day.

That 1440 patients / vaccinations per day. 

37 days for the first round of vaccinations. 

Obviously logistics are an issue - but getting hold of the vaccine to arrive in Thailand on decent schedule is key. There is enough refrigerated delivery companies which can be outsourced to for distribution to those hospitals (i.e. supermarket companies, logistics companies etc).

Of course - nothing is that perfect. But expedition national vaccination within 6 months is a perfectly achievable goal IMO - IF sufficient vaccine can be sourced. 

If there is insufficient refrigerated distribution, now would be a good time to fix the problem. Same for finding & training sufficient vaccination staff and sundries. 

5 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Please let India get this vaccine, but maybe send enough here for US citizens in Thailand, and announce it publicly!!!

Edited by placnx
Help out US citizens in Thailand