Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

My Phyathai 2 Update.

Strike One: OUT

Strike Two: OUT

Strike Three: OUT

Strike Four: OUT

One more shot tomorrow.

Today, unlike yesterday, I was able to load the google form. But it didn't show up until 9:05 which I assumed was already too late. Yes I had been refreshing like a gila monster since 8:55. Yes I was clearing my cache. 

So filled out the form assuming bad news, and indeed, form not accepted as too late.

At this point, I almost have no words.

Sure, I'll play again tomorrow but with about as much realistic expectation as winning a lottery ticket.

Another thought about this -- I am reasonably competent with computers as my work involved them. Imagine people much older that aren't into computers. They don't even get a lottery ticket in this game. After all the main target of this program aside from people with certain conditions was the aged. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

My Phyathai 2 Update.

One more shot tomorrow.

Today, unlike yesterday, I was able to load the google form. But it didn't show up until 9:05 which I assumed was already too late. Yes I had been refreshing like a gila monster since 8:55. Yes I was clearing my cache. 

So filled out the form assuming assuming bad news, and indeed, form not accepted as too late.

Sure, I'll play again tomorrow but with about as much realistic expectation as winning a lottery ticket.

Jingthing,as much as I like your quotes,and I am fearful of a backlash from you..I think you should rest awhile....Hungry Hippo are doing a sell off of beer  30 to 40 baht a bottle, big ones too

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Another thought about this -- I am reasonably competent with computers as my work involved them. Imagine people much older that aren't into computers. They don't even get a lottery ticket in this game. After all the main target of this program aside from people with certain conditions was the aged. 

We should also remember that there's a lot of elderly expats living up-country for whom a trip to Bangkok just to receive a vaccine is too much. The vaccine lottery indeed favours those with good IT skills and some luck, but you also need to be reasonably proximal to Bangkok to play the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Harry2 said:

Actually I can answer that the second shot for me (& it appears others) was for exactly 12 weeks after the first. I asked whether the Govt's announced new 8 week gap for Astra would affect that & they replied that when they get official notification to switch from 12 to 8 weeks they will automatically change all appointment & notify us of new dates. But frankly I am just sitting tight on my Sept appointment at present.

I guess I'll be content to wait too if it comes to that, but I hope they get their act together and change it to 8 weeks.  Only one dose of AZ still places us all at very high risk with the Delta variant....extremely high, in fact. 

14 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It sure is nice. Now I can do a smidgen of planning for a return home. What a relief!

Have to admit, I don't know the exact gap. But others have reported that you get the second shot date when you leave with the  magical piece of paper after shot number 1.

It was originally 16 weeks, dropped to 12. This was reported by Guderian with an official graphic on this thread, page 55. It shows the gap was reduced by 4 weeks. I thought it was supposed to be 10 weeks. Harry2 above reported an 8-week gap to be decided. Who knows?

But I guess Phyathai will inform us whether they have the order to reduce the gap. I'm hoping. 

As with most things in Thailand, I guess we just have to wait and see if they follow the latest guidelines.  Considering the very real dangers of partial vaccination in light of the Delta variant, I hope they do.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I do see where he is coming from even if you don't, I have a friend from the UK who I have been mates with for possibly close to 40 years, he lives up north, at 76 he is still no closer to getting the vaccine, he smokes, he likes a drink & also looks after 3 rai of land his house is built on, built like a racing snake, I would say he's in the at risk category, wouldn't you ?

I have another friend here, 82 years old, been here for 40+ years, likes a couple of beers, what about him ?

Another friend from the USA, 78, been here donkeys years already, smokes like a trooper & also likes a few beers, another candidate ?

Me a youthful 68, don't smoke but likes a beer or 2, been here 10 years, so not worthy in your book then, thanks for your support.

If I were over 60, I'd have gone back to the UK for a vaccine many months ago. 

I could also live in the boonies getting drunk and smoking and pray I'll be OK. 

I know what is the responsible thing to do. 

Length of time here has absolutely nothing to do with it -  I've been here for nearly 30 years and not vaccinated yet, despite being Thai. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I guess I'll be content to wait too if it comes to that, but I hope they get their act together and change it to 8 weeks.  Only one dose of AZ still places us all at very high risk with the Delta variant....extremely high, in fact. 

Errrr...... I think you should change ''us all'' to You.......Some don't worry....

43 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Really? My understanding is that after the first dose (on AZ kicking in after about 3 weeks) there was a reasonably high level of protection, and that if the Delta variant was contracted it would not lead to serious illness/hospitalization/death.Obviously level of protection further increased after second dose/booster.

33% with one dose against Delta is what I last read not too long ago.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My Phyathai 2 Update.

Strike Three: OUT

One more shot tomorrow.

So filled out the form assuming bad news, and indeed, form not accepted as too late.

We were taught computers in the 70s...50 years ago...I find the young very limited to their own area..PS4, Tim tok Moby but can not cast, or print, or make websites. People both Thai and foreign  help each other

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Really? My understanding is that after the first dose (on AZ kicking in after about 3 weeks) there was a reasonably high level of protection, and that if the Delta variant was contracted it would not lead to serious illness/hospitalization/death.Obviously level of protection further increased after second dose/booster.

Pretty much correct, based on this Indian Express article, the best one I could find, with very detailed presentation of the Public Health England study, showing the Pfizer and AZ vaccines provided very strong defences, even from symptomatic infection.  

The analysis showed that the vaccines’ effectiveness in preventing hospitalisation with Delta was similar to that seen with Alpha — (94%) after the first dose and 96% after the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine; and 71% after the first dose and 92% after the second dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

“These findings indicate very high levels of protection against hospitalisation with the Delta variant with 1 or 2 doses of either vaccine,” the researchers concluded in the paper, which is yet to be peer-reviewed.

AstraZeneca said that real-world data from PHE suggest that vaccine effectiveness against milder symptomatic disease, although significant, was lower — 74% against the Alpha variant and 64% against the Delta variant. “The higher efficacy against severe disease and hospitalisation is supported by recent data showing strong T-cell response to Covid-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, which should correlate with high and durable protection,” AstraZeneca said.

https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/astrazeneca-vs-delta-2-doses-found-crucial-7360825/

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If I were over 60, I'd have gone back to the UK for a vaccine many months ago. 

I could also live in the boonies getting drunk and smoking and pray I'll be OK. 

I know what is the responsible thing to do. 

Length of time here has absolutely nothing to do with it -  I've been here for nearly 30 years and not vaccinated yet, despite being Thai. 

Are you Thai or Scottish or both ? You seem to adopt whichever one suits the narrative of the day to fit your agenda.

• Haha 1

Moving on from Phayatai 2 and congratulations to the lottery winners,  has anyone registered at MedPark and do you know anything about it?

They are accepting passports and it's limited to age 60 and over and or medical conditions.

But they don’t specify that they actually have any supply, what brand it would be, and critically WHEN registered people can actually get jabs.

But I don’t see any downside of registering.

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-expats

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Moving on from Phayatai 2 and congratulations to the lottery winners,  has anyone registered at MedPark and do you know anything about it?

They are accepting passports and it's limited to age 60 and over and or medical conditions.

But they don’t specify that they actually have any supply, what brand it would be, and critically WHEN registered people can actually get jabs.

But I don’t see any downside of registering.

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-expats

They were on the original Intervac distribution list of 3 Bangkok hospitals, so I would definitely go for it as they are one of the handful of public hospitals that seem to have been set up to deal with vaccinating expats. If they do not get July doses they may well get allocated them soon. (You may even be among the lucky ones to get a Japanese Astra!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Getting registered and getting vaccinated are different things but yeah why not register at MedPark?

Well we all know what hell the registration process has been at Intervac and to a certain extent at Pyathai. If getting formally registered gets you through Step 1, that would be a good start - anyway nothing to lose. I registered & and sent covid enquiry emails to 6 hospitals in 3 cities, had 3 positive responses.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry2 said:

Well we all know what hell the registration process has been at Intervac and to a certain extent at Pyathai. If getting formally registered gets you through Step 1, that would be a good start - anyway nothing to lose. I registered & and sent covid enquiry emails to 6 hospitals in 3 cities, had 3 positive responses.

Yeah sure but forgive me for being cynical and pessimistic.

I did manage to enter my data into Intervac only to learn it had been sucked into a black hole of non functionality with a bucket of data breaching with a cherry on top.

ACT FAST ON THIS ONE!

I MEAN NOW.

Passports accepted.

Deadline is  11am on Friday.

Richard Barrow in Thailand – Writing about Thailand on Blogs and Social Media

The @BCCThai posted a tip just now about the Board of Trade of Thailand asking for foreigners who are 18+ to register their interest for the AstraZeneca vaccine. You need to fill out this form before 11am on Friday

The form:

In preparation for COVID 19 vaccination, please kindly fill in the information in this form. (google.com)

It's from the Board of Trade so maybe just targeted at working expats. There was no retired option.

So I had to put Unemployed / Maid / Housekeeper.

Its for expats 18 or over. So maybe / probably they don't want to hear from older retired people. 

But I see no harm in registering there. On the other hand this kind of sound like a program for Sinovac to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure but forgive me for being cynical and pessimistic.

I did manage to enter my data into Intervac only to learn it had been sucked into a black hole of non functionality with a bucket of data breaching with a cherry on top.

Have you actually signed up at MedPark via Intervac? The registration seems legit and I have personally visited them - they do a great job overall and you might get the donated Astra Zeneca or maybe even the donated Pfizer if they decide to allocate to them...

Edited by VaccineHunter

7 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Have you actually signed up at MedPark via Intervac? The registration seems legit and I have personally visited them - they do a great job overall and you might get the donated Astra Zeneca or maybe even the donated Pfizer if they decide to allocate to them...

Medpark has a direct link!

You don't book through Medivac.

I have a question about the form.

It asks for first and last name but they have a message saying their very picky about passport matching. 

My passport includes my middle name.

I'm not sure what to put in the fields. Whether I should omit my middle name or if not, include it in the first or last name field. 

Edited by Jingthing