Fail on visa extension

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

Post of pic of the Stamp she recieved...it sounds like extension was denied and she was given 7 days to leave Thailand. Could this be possible ?

They’ve also charged 14,000 baht - which is for 28 days overstay (at 500 baht per day).

If they had granted 7 days, her overstay would have been less and the fine ±11,000 baht 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It definitely appears as though immigration made a mistake, but there is also the caveat that people should check and are responsible for the information in the passport.

Confused also. And normaly there is 2 officer who haddle extension, one do the work and upper officer sign ! So both have make misstake . Everything is possible in LOS but....

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

If she indeed had a tourist visa, there's nothing wrong with either the extension or the overstay fine, so any attempt to complain would be futile.

Particularly as she's no longer in Thailand!   She couldn't complain very easily.

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Particularly as she's no longer in Thailand!   She couldn't complain very easily.

Au contraire, she can merrily complain 'til the cows come home. However, getting any kind of refund or apology is quite a different matter.

• Like 2

Did she get official receipt......You have to check dates in your

passport very carefully, cannot see Immigration accepting any

responsibly for their mistake. it's always someone else's fault.

Not a nice way to end a holiday,only good thing she managed to get the flight.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but this issue does highlight the confusion and perhaps idiocy with which Thai visa’s are issued. 

Why not just issue a 3 month / 6 month tourist visa (different prices for each) - no extensions etc...  

Given Thailand current predicament, just give everyone a 12 month visa, eradicate the TM30 and 90 day reports. 

Make it extremely easy and transparent for tourists. 

We (forum members) only know most of the intricacies and rules because we’ve read of a lot of the issues on the forum and even then its easy for experienced folk to get caught out. 

I had an an issue at Immigration a while ago: 2nd officer backed up the 1st but I disagreed and was sure I was correct, a 3rd more senior officer confirmed I was correct, by then I’d started to second guess my information. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why not just issue a 3 month

They do. This is why it is important to know the difference between "visa" and "permission to stay". The 3 months vadility on the visa is the time allowed before entry into the Kingdom.

What is confusing here is the date which she went to Phuket immigration. The visa holder must have know she only got 60 days on entry. She must have known how to read the stamps. Why not read when leaving immigration?

• Thanks 1

Don't feel bad. After 12 years of being here I did the same thing this last extension. I "believe" that when I did in person 90 day they always matched the last extension to my visa end date. This time I did the last on line and assumed the date on the 90 day stamp matched my extension end date. Got hit with overstay. lesson learned!

Always check your passport before you leave immigration..  Always check your passport immediately upon returning at the airport to make sure they put the correct date on the entry stamp.  Don't leave immigration before you do that.  It's pretty simple.  I know someone that got all the way home and found out he had someone else passport.  Not a good thing.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Always check your passport before you leave immigration..  Always check your passport immediately upon returning at the airport to make sure they put the correct date on the entry stamp.  Don't leave immigration before you do that.  It's pretty simple.  I know someone that got all the way home and found out he had someone else passport.  Not a good thing.

Yeah...more common than you think too. In Savannkhet waiting at bus station...French guy realizes he has the wrong one...

Also...on Airport Link...guy sitting next to me just realizes they stamped him in for 30 days instead of 1 year for OA Visa....

Check, double check and then check again !

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Au contraire, she can merrily complain 'til the cows come home. However, getting any kind of refund or apology is quite a different matter.

That's right, because it wouldn't be justified.   Overstay fines aren't refunded when the complainant was on an overstay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

The OP hasn't responded?

He must be busy checking the couch cushions for loose Satang that might have fallen inside. 

Sounds as if the immigration folks did the right thing in fining her for overstay.