COVID-19 screening checkpoints return to Pattaya

webfact

181625693_4185100401510862_4210417282585059631_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

In order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, checkpoints have been installed to screen travellers visiting Pattaya.

The checkpoints have been set up after Chonburi was recategorised to ‘dark red zone’, which means it is under the strictest of control measures.

One large checkpoint is located at Wat Chonglom in Naklua, Sophon reported.

The checkpoints are manned by medical staff and volunteers and operate 24 hours per day.

Anyone passing through the checkpoint will need to have their temperature taken. This includes all passengers in vehicles. 

Those who are traveling to the area from outside the province may be asked to show proof that their trip is essential. 

Officials in Thailand are asking for co-operation from people to travel if absolutely necessary.

The news comes after officials in Chonburi announced that anyone wishing to travel outside the province first needs to get permission from the local authorities.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-03

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If you put alcohol gel on your hands BEFORE your temperature is checked, you get a lower reading.  If your car A/C is full on in your face won't the same be true?  In which case this is as pointless as eating one daily kilogram of Pad Krapow rather than get vaccinated.

Never had a raging temperature I guess?

16 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If you put alcohol gel on your hands BEFORE your temperature is checked, you get a lower reading.  If your car A/C is full on in your face won't the same be true?  In which case this is as pointless as eating one daily kilogram of Pad Krapow rather than get vaccinated.

You seem to think most people are Covid positive and actively avoiding detection. I was cynical of temperature checks until I learned of the wife's friend who consistently tested a bit high with the forehead temperature checks... so she went and got tested and has just been released from 2 weeks in a quarantine hospital. 

More concerned of the numbers of people traveling myself, and we know the screening will become more casual as the staff get more tired and bored. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Good.

But for God's sake ban alcohol sales, in rural areas at least. These little "impromptu" drunk parties, here "out in the sticks" are THE major spreader.

I often felt banning alcohol sales from places on the beach road, or within say 100m of it, might be an idea to deter impromptu beach parties. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I often felt banning alcohol sales from places on the beach road, or within say 100m of it, might be an idea to deter impromptu beach parties. 

Good idea, hammer businesses that sell alcohol. Not enough 7-11's closed for your liking? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fujionrye said:

Good idea, hammer businesses that sell alcohol. Not enough 7-11's closed for your liking? 

I did not suggest they close, I suggested they do not sell alcohol. Something they do for many hours of the day anyhow. It was achieved at gas stations which have 7-11s. 

Here you go winging about 7-11s, yet bars and restaurants you pay no mind.

Hardly a shortage of 7-11s.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

My friend had her temp taken when entering some establishment.  She'd been in the sun, and walking.  So it was high.  She went to a nearby AC, stood in front, then went back to get her temp taken.  They let her in. LOL

12 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

My friend had her temp taken when entering some establishment.  She'd been in the sun, and walking.  So it was high.  She went to a nearby AC, stood in front, then went back to get her temp taken.  They let her in. LOL

Why not ,it’s similar to high Initial BP. Would you refuse her entry or send her off to be tested? 

• Like 1

screening but not testing

screening is not effective and is pointless

people should not be travelling anywhere 

Pattaya should not be allowing people from outside into the city period

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Your normal body temperature is approximately 37C. A fever is usually when your body temperature is 37.8C or higher. means you could have Covid . You may feel warm, cold or shivery. You can find out if you have a fever by using a thermometer to take your temperature.

• Like 1

I drove down Jomtien Beach Road 3:00 p.m. yesterday (Sunday before a national holiday). Under normal circumstances it would be near impossible to get through for the traffic snarls. I was dodging tumbleweeds. No crazy parties there!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Excellent news. Hope they open up the checkpoints on Pattaya bypass and Sukhumvit like they did before. It worked!

If they do then why not check people leaving Pattaya too?

From the CCSA saying 80% up??? people asymptomatic, can't see this more than a PR exercise. Personally, if I had a temperature, the last thing I would be thinking of doing is get up and go out and about unless it was going to go to doctor/hospital. My friend had Covid with the fever etc and he said it was as much as he could do to get up and go to the bathroom.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Why there is not a news that beaches are closed in the Pattaya area?

Today were at Sai Kaew, Nang Ram and Ban Amphur beaches, all of them closed.

It seems that decision has been taken without any announcement of such a rule..... I can only hope it was temporary for the long weekend and we will revert to the 'exercising only, no gathering' limits after. 

11 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Why there is not a news that beaches are closed in the Pattaya area?

Today were at Sai Kaew, Nang Ram and Ban Amphur beaches, all of them closed.

It's been announced.  But only in Thai language sites.  They are not doing a great job of informing non Thai speakers of what's going on.

This site does a pretty good job of putting up what's going on.

https://thepattayanews.com/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Your normal body temperature is approximately 37C. A fever is usually when your body temperature is 37.8C or higher. means you could have Covid . You may feel warm, cold or shivery. You can find out if you have a fever by using a thermometer to take your temperature.

Do you agree that the thermometers  at supermarkets can be convinced that your temperature is lower than it is by the application of alcohol gels?  Are the thermometers used by 'police' at checkpoints the same?  Does a blast of A/C have the same effect? 

QED.  Checkpoints on the street are as useful as pad krapow for containing Covid.

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You seem to think most people are Covid positive and actively avoiding detection.

No I don't.  I definitely think temperature checks in cars are as useful as pad krapow for containing Covid; particularly when performed by Pattaya Plod & their trusty volunteers.

17 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Of course I have but I didn't decide to go shopping with it.

Me too but putting gel on my body would do nothing to reduce that symptom. If your temp is seriously up as in an infection it will show such. Your constant reference to  eating certain foods is pointless .

35 minutes ago, mikebell said:

No I don't.  I definitely think temperature checks in cars are as useful as pad krapow for containing Covid; particularly when performed by Pattaya Plod & their trusty volunteers.

Whether the testing is done properly by these people is one matter, but why do you think a correctly performed temperature check is not useful? A person recently infected is likely to have an elevated temperature as the body fights the infection... If you go to a hospital with a complaint it is often the first thing they do. Also someone I know repeatedly tested over 37.5 deg C and got tested because of this, and tested Covid positive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Whether the testing is done properly by these people is one matter, but why do you think a correctly performed temperature check is not useful? A person recently infected is likely to have an elevated temperature as the body fights the infection... If you go to a hospital with a complaint it is often the first thing they do. Also someone I know repeatedly tested over 37.5 deg C and got tested because of this, and tested Covid positive.

I got drawn into the efficacy of temperature checks in cars.  My point is; pointing a temp gun at hands recently cooled by alcohol gel or face blasted by A/C for 15 minutes will not give a true reading allowing the 'patient' to roam free with a false sense of security.  I contend that this is merely another useless measure  to convince people that the authorities are doing something - for example, spraying disinfectant on Walking Street.