friend postiv with covid..how to find a hospital bed

consulb

Hello,

a good friend of mine made a covid test at a Hospital in BKK yesterday. He had fever for a few days and is coughing a lot. Today afternoon hospital called him and told him the test was positiv.

They told him they will call him back if they can arange a free bed, but nobody called him. So he called back, but they told him just to wait. Now i start to get a bit worry, as his state become more worse,

and it become difficult for him to take care of these things. And i am not sure if he understand what is going on.

I called some hospitals, Bumrungrad, BH, but they said they are all full.

Anyone an idea how i can find a place in a hospital for him?

Thank you

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Having a finger oximeter would be useful, i just got one, it shows oxygen % in blood, if it gets to about 92% or below need to go to hospital. Maybe the guy who is C+ is higher.

Problem is hospitals are full with people who shouldn't be there, non serious

+1 on this, don't let it go far below the low 90's without seeking treatment

That can result in something they call 'happy hypoxia' - essentially you can in an extreme case approach the verge of death and not realise it

Some information on this here : https://www.deccanherald.com/national/covid-19-crisis-what-is-happy-hypoxia-and-can-it-be-fatal-983353.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been told by a member of the health department they should contact a help line set up by thairath newspaper for situations like this. The helpline will try to find a bed but the patient may spend time in a field hospital first until a suitable hospital bed is found.

Recently there's been a case of 4 Bangkok positive people unable to find a bed hiring a pickup with driver and spending 8 hours in the back for a pre arranged with the hospital trip to an issan hospital with free beds. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

No point having medical insurance for covid if you cannot even get inside a Hospital for treatment, looks like the situation is worse than is being admitted if even the most expensive private Hospitals are full.

The most expensive private hospitals dont want you dying it's bad for their image

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

These ones from Lazada seem good for 300 baht

IMG_20210507_132711~2.jpg

It seems good, but there were tests done with these Chnese oximeters and 90% of them were showing fake results.

For a relatively cheap non fake medical equipment on par with omron I recommend Yuwell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, consulb said:

finally the hospital called in the morning. First they asked for 200.000 THB deposit. We had to manage this with his international insurance first. It took a while until incurance company confirmed. Now he got a nice room and they take care of him, hope he will recover soon. Difficult task if you are alone and you have to handle this all alone while you are sick.

Thx to all

Was that a public hospital or private?

7 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

No point having medical insurance for covid if you cannot even get inside a Hospital for treatment, looks like the situation is worse than is being admitted if even the most expensive private Hospitals are full.

It is always advisable for people with insurance to think outside the square if they cannot find a hospital bed in their area and or surrounding areas, i.e. instead of waiting, get someone to drive them to a hospital in another area, regardless if it is a 10 hour drive, but first one must make sure the hospital is equipped to handle the patient will admit him/her upon arrival.

I wouldn't be waiting around for others to save my life in a situation like this, I would do everything possible monetarily to get to a hospital that has beds available and is equipped to look after me, either way, it's a far better shot that waiting to die.

• Like 1