Thailand reports 3,382 new COVID-19 cases, 17 more deaths

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but we heard about the South African variant yesterday but it was first detected in February. This lot is anything but transparent.

Wasn't the February one detected in quarantine?

• Like 2

The egg on the face of this government administration must now be the size of a large Thai omelet.  Every day another story that shows how much inept management and skullduggery is going on.  Yes there will be those that bash my own country as being worse, but I live in Thailand and care deeply about them getting through this pandemic with as little damage as can be done.  However, they just keep sinking deeper and deeper into the money pit and keep shooting themselves in the foot due to what appears to be even more rampant corruption and uncaring attitudes.  I understand it is a big country, but are not these local provincial governors ever held accountable for the local officials including Kamnans and Phu Yai's, who seem to be running amuck and making a mockery of these things such as the emergency decree and quarantine programs for returnees.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Vimut only posted their info online yesterday... so... it will be interesting to see what kinds of appointment dates will be given for the early registrants now (how long beyond June 7) and then how long after those appointment dates will the actual vaccine appointments be given, if the vaccines aren't available on a person's registration day.

Let's hope they don't inform you that they can't locate your health records.  Now that would be a drawback.

21 minutes ago, riparian said:

Wasn't the February one detected in quarantine?

Yep. Can't remember hearing about it back then. Quarantine is most definitely not secure against this virus in any of it's variants. 

Edited by dinsdale

The government has assured that there are enough beds to cope with the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Deputy government spokeswoman Ratchada Thanadirek said 61% of the 20,652 beds at hospitals, field hospitals and “hospitels” in the capital are occupied and 7,905 beds remain available, while 39% of 40,648 beds in 12 health zones are occupied and 24,786 are still available.

She said, since Greater Bangkok continues to account for more than half of all new cases nationwide, the number of beds at the Busarakam hospital, at Impact Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi, will be increased by 1,000. The Ministry of Public Health is also working closely with private hospitals to find more beds for patients with serious symptoms.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158034235732050

• Thanks 2

From the B.P. 11 hours ago (paraphrased below)

Thailand has detected the South African variant of the coronavirus among a cluster of infected undocumented migrants in Narathiwat province.

They missed the index case Thai business man

• Like 2

@ddc_riskcomdirector Dr. Opas elaborated on the discovery of #COVID19TH variant B.1.351 (the so-called “South Africa variant”) in Narathiwat: 3 out of a cluster of 83 people have been found with that variant, had no severe symptoms and have all recovered by now.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1396418537313366018

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

@ddc_riskcomdirector Dr. Opas elaborated on the discovery of #COVID19TH variant B.1.351 (the so-called “South Africa variant”) in Narathiwat: 3 out of a cluster of 83 people have been found with that variant, had no severe symptoms and have all recovered by now.

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1396418537313366018

Sorry I posted a confused emoji, but with them just stating the SA Variant is in Narathiwat, this twitter post leaves me a little bewildered.

20 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The government has assured that there are enough beds to cope with the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Deputy government spokeswoman Ratchada Thanadirek said 61% of the 20,652 beds at hospitals, field hospitals and “hospitels” in the capital are occupied and 7,905 beds remain available, while 39% of 40,648 beds in 12 health zones are occupied and 24,786 are still available.

She said, since Greater Bangkok continues to account for more than half of all new cases nationwide, the number of beds at the Busarakam hospital, at Impact Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi, will be increased by 1,000. The Ministry of Public Health is also working closely with private hospitals to find more beds for patients with serious symptoms.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158034235732050

Beds is one thing but ventilators , nurses and doctors is another . What is the point of placing all infected into underequipped so called field hospitals which will be a hive for covid breeding , pity the medics cos dangerous environment to work in . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worrab said:

2 of which, man and wife, managed to catch a train to Bang Saphan Noi, apparently not wearing masks! Then went to the family home of 5 members and then proceeded to go around the town and market. All of which has been closed off for disinfecting which started last night. The 2 concerned were picked up by Police and taken to hospital. It is thought that they were infected with Covid. 

And just to update this, apparently they both do have Covid! They have infected the 3 children and other family members. Not only that but the immediate neighbours are all now being tested as well. Could be a cluster forming here thanks to the selfishness of two people. Hope they get slung in jail when released from hospital!

Jonathan Head

@pakhead

Vimut confused people by saying you can book a slot online now. That isn’t possible. I’m not even sure that online registration by foreigners for the govt vaccines is possible b4 7 June. Even if you register online with Vimut you will still probably have to do so again in person.

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1396437214859386884

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Jonathan Head

@pakhead

Vimut confused people by saying you can book a slot online now. That isn’t possible. I’m not even sure that online registration by foreigners for the govt vaccines is possible b4 7 June. Even if you register online with Vimut you will still probably have to do so again in person.

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1396437214859386884

Total guackery again.  So many mixed messages. Especially from their website for signing up.

12 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Going in the wrong direction.

Why not try a 2 week circuit breaker full lockdown ?

Good idea ! If only those border jumpers from other neighboring   countries would adhere to that!

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Yes, as others have mentioned the amount of people who are not reporting from fear of being in a five star internment camp is what is probably keeping the numbers down.  

Variants are going to come in regardless.  How, when, whatever doesn't matter.  There there.

Best thing to do is double down, wear your mask, wash your hands, don't touch your face, sterilize your phone, keys after going out and I also wash my face with soap and water too.  

It gets tiring, but do what you can.

The only way to get out of this is vaccines and lockdowns.  You can pick one or the other, fortunately / unfortunately, like it or not.  

Actually, the scientific consensus now is that the virus isn't spread much by touching surfaces.  

Science Brief: SARS-CoV-2 and Surface (Fomite) Transmission for Indoor Community Environments

The principal mode by which people are infected with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is through exposure to respiratory droplets carrying infectious virus. It is possible for people to be infected through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects (fomites), but the risk is generally considered to be low.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Yes, as others have mentioned the amount of people who are not reporting from fear of being in a five star internment camp is what is probably keeping the numbers down.  

Variants are going to come in regardless.  How, when, whatever doesn't matter.  There there.

Best thing to do is double down, wear your mask, wash your hands, don't touch your face, sterilize your phone, keys after going out and I also wash my face with soap and water too.  

It gets tiring, but do what you can.

The only way to get out of this is vaccines and lockdowns.  You can pick one or the other, fortunately / unfortunately, like it or not.  

The other risk is that while  a lot of the population are unvaccinated , you run a higher risk of the virus mutating into a more concerning strain, especially if you have a lot of undiagnosed cases out in the population.

• Like 1