Name two professions that you feel deserve more appreciation

Charlatans

Rogues

Too often these people are treated as if they were acceptable in our society, respected even, when they should be identified and appreciated for what they are and cast into the wilderness, regardless of their wealth or position.

• Like 1

People who have to wear masks all day in their job. That would suck. 

Many professional low paid Thai workers. If on holiday in the before times I would stay at a nice hotel and there would be this beautiful professional receptionist. Because it's a nice hotel you assume she is on a good pay but often they would actually have really low  pay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sex workers are totally under rated in Thailand, without them Thailand wouldn't have been any where near as successful

Nah-ah - TAT says foreigners visit Thailand for the beautiful beaches and culture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

What a sad statement, it’s people like u that give Thailand a bad name!

pathetic loser that couldn’t get a sniff in the west!

let me guess, u live in pattaya 

????

Surreal.. Ron Jeremy?

Earlier, I posted 1) Oilfield trash and 2) the spouses of oil field trash.

Since I am a member of group 1 and my wife is a member of group 2, this being the farang pub and all, I wondered why my post was deleted? Maybe the term oil field trash was considered derogatory and baiting? It's not. Just ask any oil field trash.

Anyway, my rationale is that oil field trash, ie. people that work in the fossil fuel industry are taking the double hit of the pandemic and the global shift to renewables and all that malarkey.

No matter, I'm getting back on my work bike next week after a 12-month hiatus so no need to pack the training wheels.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wprime said:

Nah-ah - TAT says foreigners visit Thailand for the beautiful beaches and culture.

It's not just the tourists or retired expats but the directors of companies that choose to come here, certainly not for the effficiency and English speaking skills but more likely the availability of giks and mia nois, of course all will deny it, here for the weather

30 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

What a sad statement, it’s people like u that give Thailand a bad name!

pathetic loser that couldn’t get a sniff in the west!

let me guess, u live in pattaya 

????

The oldest profession .......... wives.

Paul McCartney couldn't even get a whole one in the west!

And even that one cost him 24 Million pounds.

Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos couldn't hold onto theirs.

What chance did us normal suckers stand in a market like that?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My two are:

Dentists 

Just had a bunch of dental work done. Already high status but could you do it? I couldn't in a million years. Plus imagine living without modern dentistry.

Garbage men

Again, imagine if it wasn't removed. In Thailand presumably because of the heat, it's even more smelly.

dentists is a really mixed bag... but a good choice for honest ones..  In USA I have been told that they cannot survive financially w/o doing unnecessary work.. I was once quoted $2500 when I needed no work at all... a freind recntly was quoted $10,000 and came here and got out w/10,000 baht.... that said I love my CM dentist as he has done a great job of relieving pain and reasonably priced... 

ps - dentists in USA have highest risk of suicides...

My choice would have been street sweepers... near invisible, I had a friend who used to walk up to one and give her 100 baht... I will have to do that next time I am in town...

my other choice might be gardeners... 

so, i vote for beauty and cleanliness... 

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The Military and airline pilots, but then again, I would say that wouldn't I. ????

only if you were pompous and presumptious and had a high opinion of yourself.. not the comedian you are... 

send in the clowns, there ought to be clowns... 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

... even took a front door a few weeks ago.

One hopes it wasn't still attached to the house ???? 

But I agree, they take anything and they come twice a week. The local fees we pay for that plus street lighting etc. are minimal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

dentists is a really mixed bag... but a good choice for honest ones..  In USA I have been told that they cannot survive financially w/o doing unnecessary work.. I was once quoted $2500 when I needed no work at all... a freind recntly was quoted $10,000 and came here and got out w/10,000 baht.... that said I love my CM dentist as he has done a great job of relieving pain and reasonably priced... 

ps - dentists in USA have highest risk of suicides...

My choice would have been street sweepers... near invisible, I had a friend who used to walk up to one and give her 100 baht... I will have to do that next time I am in town...

my other choice might be gardeners... 

so, i vote for beauty and cleanliness... 

Yeah I had considered qualifying that by saying good dentists.

As in competent and not over selling.

I have experienced hilariously incompetent and corrupt dentists, mediocre ones, and brilliant ones.

I had enough experience with good ones to know to run from the bad ones.

But my experience with dentistry didn't start out so well.

My dear old Dad took me for some reason to a rustic one man dental office over a musical instrument store. I remember the chair looked like an antique. 

It was obvious to me even back then as a child that the old dentist there wasn't up to the state of the art.

I was having none of it.

I had him literally chasing me around the chair.

I've blocked out whether or not he got into my mouth but I'm pretty sure that was my first and last visit to him.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2