Thailand reports 2,455 COVID-19 cases, 41 more deaths

webfact

COV2.jpg
FILE PHOTO: A doctor and ICU nurses wearing personal protection equipment (PPE) treat a patient suffering from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand, May 11, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Thailand on Wednesday (May 26) reported 2,455 new COVID-19 cases and 41 additional deaths.

● 1,976 new infections
● 479 prison / prison infections

Wednesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 137,894 with 873 deaths.

The news comes as vaccine hesitancy has risen sharply in Thailand opinion polls show, just weeks away from the start of a mass inoculation programme.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-26

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hua Hin:Covid outbreak at second pineapple factory - 42 cases but health authorities say it's "under control"

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218365-hua-hincovid-outbreak-at-second-pineapple-factory-42-cases-but-health-authorities-say-its-under-control/

Dole Pineapple Factory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Will South-east Asia be swamped by Covid-19, like in South Asia?

In Thailand, hospital beds are quickly filling up after infections, first seeded in some exclusive entertainment outlets in Bangkok, resulted in the country's highest-ever number of daily cases in early April. The number spiked again after Songkran, the Thai new year.

Since then, the caseload has crept upwards and has more than quadrupled to nearly 135,000 as authorities struggled to contain outbreaks in overcrowded prisons, markets and camps housing construction workers.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/will-south-east-asia-be-swamped-by-covid-19-like-in-south-asia

Isn't this article quoting mostly month old statistics...maybe the Singapore reporter had to spend 15 days in quarantine before getting out and actually doing some reporting. 

10 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

WAiting to hear from certain members saying things are under control, great and they should open things up 

I think that would depend upon on where you live in Thailand. If I was in Bangkok or surrounding provinces I would be really worried.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Yesterday pm, I posted the Dept of Corrections in prison infections:

Department of Corrections are reporting 1,429 new cases & one more death. There are now 15,914 prisoners in care which is 5.10% of the prison population. Most cases today are in Nonthaburi Prison (1,052) & Thonburi Remand Prison (339). 74 wardens are in care #Thailand

Today's update is only showing 479 and this has happened on previous reporting by the DofC.

Barrow has only just latched on to these unexplained discrepancies.

There’s something strange going on with the reporting of cases in prisons. Yesterday the Department of Corrections reported 1,429 cases but today CCSA only have 470

22 May: 842 vs. 605

23 May: 523 vs. 460

24 May: 499 vs. 206 

25 May: 628 vs. 882

26 May: 1,429 vs. 479

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1397373459882123267

This has been common in the past... The new cases that Corrections reports themselves late in the prior day don't always fully make it into the next morning's national report. So I'd be expecting a big prisons spike in tomorrow's MoPH update.

The total cumulative number of prison cases that MoPH had reported in their tallies through yesterday was 16,704. How does that match to Correction's total number of cases prior to last night's additions?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Yesterday pm, I posted the Dept of Corrections in prison infections:

Department of Corrections are reporting 1,429 new cases & one more death. There are now 15,914 prisoners in care which is 5.10% of the prison population. Most cases today are in Nonthaburi Prison (1,052) & Thonburi Remand Prison (339). 74 wardens are in care #Thailand

Today's update is only showing 479 and this has happened on previous reporting by the DofC.

Barrow has only just latched on to these unexplained discrepancies.

There’s something strange going on with the reporting of cases in prisons. Yesterday the Department of Corrections reported 1,429 cases but today CCSA only have 470

22 May: 842 vs. 605

23 May: 523 vs. 460

24 May: 499 vs. 206 

25 May: 628 vs. 882

26 May: 1,429 vs. 479

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1397373459882123267

Interesting. Same probably happening with factories, workers camps, dormatories etc. I just can't work out with all these outbreaks in BKK and some other sites with a highly transmissable variant in extremely crowded conditions that the numbers stay virtually the same. One day up 500 the next down 500 then up again etc. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This has been common in the past... The new cases that Corrections reports themselves late in the prior day don't always fully make it into the next morning's national report. So I'd be expecting a big prisons spike tomorrow.

Maybe. Thing is there is a 1,291 positive case discrepency between The Corrections Dept. and the CCSA. Can't see how late reporting can account for this figure.

Just now, dinsdale said:

Maybe. Thing is there is a 1,291 positive case discrepency between The Corrections Dept. and the CCSA. Can't see how late reporting can account for this figure.

Because what Corrections reports late in the day the day before doesn't always make it into the next morning's MoPH reporting.... But those numbers almost certainly will show up in tomorrow's MoPH update..

12 minutes ago, sungod said:

I think that would depend upon on where you live in Thailand. If I was in Bangkok or surrounding provinces I would be really worried.

I live in BKK Thong lor area, can't say im really worried. But the risk is certainly a lot  higher then in other places. Then again I think in Bangkok people are more aware and in a small village it just takes one person and it will infect a lot. I hear a lot of members who live in the less populated area's that there are no masks and people don't really care. So just one of those at a party can spread a lot. While in BKK people take more care. 

• Haha 2

@TallGuyJohninBKK

You seem to know all the numbers do you know how many tests they do (also many tests are double test to confirm as only a confirmed tests can be reported). I havent seen test numbers but I might have overlooked. I am curious if they report those too on a day to day base.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sungod said:

Yeah everything pretty much shut down in Old City Sukhothai.

I hope it stays that way, until Bangkok and all the other problem areas are under control.

We have been lucky so far only 1 reported case, who come up from where yeah Bangkok. 

• Like 1