Would you consider Turkey?

57 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Did some research. Property is relatively cheap, even compared to Thailand for the costal locations attracting Europeans, rentals seem to be higher, but with low cost of living. Seems quite e few Europeans have invested in property for holiday rentals. Personally I have not heard of the political swing to the Islamic right impacting Europeans living in Turkey.

Golden Goose has long gone for short term rentals in TUrkey it very diffcult now even to let friends or relatives use your property even if there is no payment attached

If you rent property in Turkey the property has to be registered with the local police

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/regulation-to-be-introduced-to-control-short-term-rentals-in-turkey-105119

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, connda said:

Better places to go unless you plan on converting.
Geo-politically it's a Red-Zone and Erdogan a loose-cannon with Neo-Islamic Ottoman Empire aspirations. 
I want less drama in my Plan B selections.   ????

As I  kind of alluded in the OP for me it's more.like a Plan C.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not in the pro column.

that would be a game breaker for me, and I am not even gay... 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

For hundreds of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Iranians who fled their homeland because of persecution for who they are, moving to Turkey was not a significant improvement.

The islamic countries I have passed through have all been pretty dirty and repressed... 

If you want to get really wild, move to Rayong... but i doubt you are going anywhere.... 

To get to know a country you don't have to stop only in the tourist places that are all international without a soul, I traveled all over the country by car, a rather depressing country inside only landscapes bare of vegetation and very insecure towards the east and I think it was a good experience to never return.

BTW At a certain point in the trip, in the middle of nowhere, we wanted to buy a carpet and the seller introduced me to his daughter as my future second wife, I preferred to give up the carpet and his generous offer, all the travel I never ask for a carpet.....

• Haha 2

While you're thinking about Turkey, try watching Iklimer/Climates by the director Nuri Bilge Ceylan.

It is extremely good:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0498097/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuri_Bilge_Ceylan

NB. Rather than post this in the "What Movies.." thread, I put it here, so that JT might get more of an understanding about the Turkish Films/Arts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems Turkey does not tax (foreign) pensions.

Turkey is a gays' paradise (no mongering options for straight men as far as I know). Otherwise dirt cheap at present, insane value for money.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ICELANDMAN said:

To get to know a country you don't have to stop only in the tourist places that are all international without a soul, I traveled all over the country by car, a rather depressing country inside only landscapes bare of vegetation and very insecure towards the east and I think it was a good experience to never return.

BTW At a certain point in the trip, in the middle of nowhere, we wanted to buy a carpet and the seller introduced me to his daughter as my future second wife, I preferred to give up the carpet and his generous offer, all the travel I never ask for a carpet.....

I got a taste of the boring interior during my trip there. But I must say Cappadocia during a snow storm was one of the most spectacular travel experiences that I've had in my life.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I take it you don’t find them delightful. 

Groan.

I have a few friends but in small amounts I can take them , always over the top in drama and paranoia 

• Like 2

I've never been to Turkey. I wouldn't mind seeing Istanbul before I die, but I am not tempted by the the idea of living in any Muslim country. No thanks. The movie Midnight Express is seared into my mind.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Italy is cheap some small cities offer to buy a price of 1 $

I take it you have never been there Italy is one of the most expensive countries in Europe and has always been so in my experience, the $1 property purchase was for derelict buildings in a rundown rural location, that needed total renovation. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I've never been to Turkey. I wouldn't mind seeing Istanbul before I die, but I am not tempted by the the idea of living in any Muslim country. No thanks. The movie Midnight Express is seared into my mind.

Turkey is a secular country that is predominately Muslim, if it does become a country run by a Muslim government all property owned by infidels would be seized by the government. 

• Like 1

Some friends of mine (???????? people) have chosen Turkey as their retirement refuge. They quite happy, very cheap, beautiful sceneries, very friendly people. No visa problems. Istanbul a lively metropolitan city, despite the ongoing political issues. 

A great country to retire! 

• Thanks 1

Some friends of mine (???????? people) have chosen Turkey as their retirement refuge. They quite happy, very cheap, beautiful sceneries, very friendly people. No visa problems. Istanbul a lively metropolitan city, despite the ongoing political issues. 

A great country to retire! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

As already stated above, way too fanatically religious for everyday living, almost like other "enlighten" countries such Iran, Pakistan and other Mullahs sharia run countries, and any country who openly calls for the destruction and annihilation of another country based on religion should be shun from any tourists dollars... 

That's not true !