Thai PM apologises as many vaccination appointments postponed

webfact

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Meanwhile at  LAX:

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA)  Los Angeles World Airports began offering free on-site COVID-19 vaccinations to the public Thursday at Los Angeles International Airport.

The vaccine clinic, run in partnership with the Los Angeles Fire Department and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, is open 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and will offer one-dose vaccinations from Johnson & Johnson to anyone ages 18 or older.

There is a video posted on youtube at International arrivals showing a guy holding a sign directing international travelers to get vaccinated after clearing immigration customs and immigration.  Cost = Zero and supply = ample.  I should be arriving in the near future but I prefer Pfizer(higher efficacy than J&J).

Well ... the question remains, if that  is a really good procedure!

I‘m not anti-vax, therefore I had a lot of vaccinations in the past.

(The last one against bacterial pneumococci, which are a typical side infection of Covid - unfortunately, not many people take that jab).

However:

I   NEVER had ANY vaccination as an adult, where the doctor would not

make a thorough examination,

inquire about my medical history,

explaining risks, side effects and benefits of a vaccine,

answering questions.

I even remember, once the doctor recommended me not to take a certain vaccine, because he considered the benefit/risk ratio as not appropriate...

That can’t be done in 5-10 minutes !

This factory line approach in an airport is IMO against anything,

how an informed decision of the patient and an adequate vaccination should be done.

PS.:

The efficacy shows only the relative risk reduction. (eg. if you would had in the Phase 3 studies test groups of 10,000 each and the vaccinated group had 0 Covid deaths and the non-vaccinated group had 1 deaths: the efficacy would be 100% )

For selecting a vaccine, the absolute risk reduction, the effiency, would be better. Easy to calculate from the published Phase 3 study absolute data by simple division.

Another important selection criterion would be: to check the risks, the adverse drug reactions. The US system VAERS is an acceptable tool for this. 

The results are eye opening - contrary to common perception, which vaccine is considered the best !

Here, a relative never number gives a better foundation for a selection. Divide the number of Deaths and ADR by the number of 1 million vaccinated.

(Unfortunately, there are, afaik, no data published in English for the traditional produced SINOVAC, neither Phase 3 studies, nor ADR in the US VAERS (of cause).

Would be interesting for a comparison... a vaccine produced, as we are doing it since 100 years - against the brand new mRNA types.)

This is a stupid plan. If you have limited supply of vaccine, of course you need to concentrate on vaccinating people around and inside Covid hotspots. That will quickly prevent the virus from spreading outside of these areas. 

• Confused 1

I reckon by the end of the year we will be flooded by vaccines. Maybe the government will pay us to take a shot and help draw down the surplus before the expiry dates.

People who haven't been vaccinated will be like an endangered species and will be ruthlessly tracked down and hassled until they take their shot!

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The vaccine allocation is based on size of the population, age, infection numbers, risk groups, occupations and whether the provinces are tourist destinations or economically significant areas.

Well, that's Isaan stuffed then isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The Thai government has, several times now, asked foreigners, aged over 60 and/or foreigners suffering from certain conditions which makes them vulnerable, to register.

They have assured foreign governments, through the Bangkok Embassies, that foreigners are included in the vaccination programme, (certainly Thais resident in the UK and many other countries have already been included in those countries programmes) - so one assumes this is an agreement?

They are now, in Phuket (and Chiang Rai, and no doubt elsewhere) refusing to register foreigners. Because they are not registered they are not eligible for vaccination. The "definitions" being applied are in clear and very blatant breach of those announcements and undertakings. That is, if you like, the nonsense!

Pointing it out is not nonsense.

Phuket is running its own little side show on vaccinations,  ignoring health issues such as pre existing conditions and age, and solely focusing on economic benefit from tourists. That means vaccinations are only for people who might interact with tourists in working capacity.

Thai’s were first on the list mostly via the companies that they work for, and then last week there was a rush to vaccinate farang working for Thai companies. I personally know two young people who were told that they HAD to be vaccinated or their employment would end.

retired farang AFAIK, have not been considered for vaccination yet.

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Phuket is running its own little side show on vaccinations,  ignoring health issues such as pre existing conditions and age, and solely focusing on economic benefit from tourists. That means vaccinations are only for people who might interact with tourists in working capacity.

Thai’s were first on the list mostly via the companies that they work for, and then last week there was a rush to vaccinate farang working for Thai companies. I personally know two young people who were told that they HAD to be vaccinated or their employment would end.

retired farang AFAIK, have not been considered for vaccination yet.

About as unethical as one can get!

he doesn't even know how to lie anymore, contradictions are his specialty, statements made within hours

Thai hospitals instructed not to postpone vaccination appointments – DPHM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

He's normally such a grouch especially in front of the press.  Could this be the 1st shot (pun intended) in his push for another term next year?

nahhh.... remember back in 2014 he said that he was not interested in politics and not wanted to be PM  555

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

he doesn't even know how to lie anymore, contradictions are his specialty, statements made within hours

Thai hospitals instructed not to postpone vaccination appointments – DPHM

Left hand, Right hand.....not in touch with each other it would seem.  If this government can not get their feces together that should tell the world how cooked they truly are.  Waiting on the millions of donated free vaccines from the US to arrive and for them to charge a premium price here.

Combined with the new shipments, the Biden administration aims to send a total of 80 million doses abroad within the next six weeks.

Meanwhile in Spain there's a proposal been put forward to offer free vaccine to holiday makers staying longer than a month!

Did anyone seriously doubt that this would happen? Those bunch of clowns haven't done a single thing right when it comes to helping it's people why would they Change now?

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

What is pathetic is thinking there has been a vaccine supermarket for the last year, open to everyone 24 hours with BOGOF.

There hasn't been a vaccine supermarket but those who ordered vaccines over a year ago are at the front of the line and the very latecomers such as Thailand just have to join the queue at the back.

And no, "don't you know who my Daddy" is doesn't work in the real world.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lickey said:

Don't want to be part of a gene altering injection anyway

I hope you're not talking about covid vaccines. 

Those are definitely not making any change to your genes. 

Or do you believe you will be chipped? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to my treating hospital (Phayathai 2) this morning to complain about my inability to register for a vaccination date on the 'intervac' website. A hospital representative offered to check the info on the website after the magic hour of noon.  What the representative found and I confirmed was that information from some of the fields - to include my nationality, address, province, district, and sub-district were now blank and no entries could be made!  It is just incomprehensible to me!

Every day, the CCSA tells foreigners that they can be vaccinated at their treating hospital but it's now working out that way at all!

Edited by pookiki
Revise
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

People who haven't been vaccinated will be like an endangered species and will be ruthlessly tracked down and hassled until they take their shot!

Like people selling medical insurance......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rwill said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

Facts about COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines
They cannot give someone COVID-19.

mRNA vaccines do not use the live virus that causes COVID-19.

They do not affect or interact with our DNA in any way.

mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA (genetic material) is kept.
The cell breaks down and gets rid of the mRNA soon after it is finished using the instructions.

Clever stuff

8 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Why would you have it if you have symptoms?The vaccine takes 3 weeks to start working and by then you'll either be immune anyway by being dead or have an natural immune response.

Go to the head of the Darwin awards queue "take it when you have symptoms" unbelievable!

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

This is not his first or last apology, more to come, infect, the way the he handled this Covid business, he should have resigned and go home...

"infect the way ............." Nice play on words, and I agree!

From CNA(Channel News Asia) based in Singapore:

This explains what is actually going on? 

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia is expecting deliveries of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines manufactured in Thailand to be delayed, its science minister said on Wednesday (Jun 9), among several countries to report a holdup with orders from the Thai plant.

Science minister Khairy Jamaluddin did not specify to reporters how long the deliveries would be delayed or how many shipments would be affected.

The delay comes amid questions over AstraZeneca's vaccine distribution plan in Southeast Asia, which depends on 200 million doses made by Siam Bioscience, a company owned by Thailand's king that is making vaccines for the first time.

AstraZeneca has so far handed over 1.8 million locally produced doses to Thai authorities and last week said more were on the way during June, but deliveries to other Southeast Asian countries would begin in July.

10 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

But he said last week there were enough vaccines and 70% of Bkk would be done by the end of July ???? Seems to have gone a bit quiet on the Siambioscience front, where are the millions of doses they promised? 

Munich

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

There hasn't been a vaccine supermarket but those who ordered vaccines over a year ago are at the front of the line and the very latecomers such as Thailand just have to join the queue at the back.

That is not quite right Bill, countries did not order vaccines over a year ago. They invested huge amounts in vaccine development, and in doing so tied up initial production. The UK invested in 7 different vaccines in the hope that at least one of them would pay off. Thailand doesn't have the same financial resources to call upon as the major economies and had to wait till one came up for approval. They made the agreement with AZ back in October which wasn't hanging about as it was before final approval.

It all went pear shaped when AZ production in Europe was a lot less than what they had committed to deliver, the UK and EU fell out over deliveries and Thailand was left out in the cold. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is not quite right Bill, countries did not order vaccines over a year ago. They invested huge amounts in vaccine development, and in doing so tied up initial production. The UK invested in 7 different vaccines in the hope that at least one of them would pay off. Thailand doesn't have the same financial resources to call upon as the major economies and had to wait till one came up for approval. They made the agreement with AZ back in October which wasn't hanging about as it was before final approval.

It all went pear shaped when AZ production in Europe was a lot less than what they had committed to deliver, the UK and EU fell out over deliveries and Thailand was left out in the cold. 

Excellent point.

I want to tag on a question: Did the UK invest more than the cost of 3 Chinese submarines ?

• Like 1