Three girls drown in pond in Chaiyaphum

webfact

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Tragedy struck in the sub-district of Non Kok in Chaiyaphum on Saturday when three girls died in a pond in a field. 

They were Cream, aged 5, Fang, 6, and ten year old Pam. They all lived next door to each other and were relatives. 

They were found dead in a ten meter x five meter pond in a field behind their houses on Saturday evening. 

Former phoo yai ban and grandfather of Cream, Buathong, 60, told Sanook that the children were playing in the street earlier in the day. 

But they went missing and a search was organized. 

A bucket was seen floating in the two meter deep pond and three pairs of shoes were found at the edge.

Their muddied bodies were then retrieved.

It is believed that the girls took the bucket to the pond to float in it but it overturned and in trying to help each other they all drowned. 

None of them could swim. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-21

• Sad 13

growing up in Florida with bodies of water around everywhere you go....lakes, ponds, fishing areas, swimming pools, etc.....it was almost expected that kids would learn how to swim as to not have so many downings. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Someone recently had a large pond dug not far from the back of our house, where she will raise fish after receiving a government grant. It's very deep and has very steep sides, and now I'm just waiting to see how long it will be before a kid will drown in it. No safety measures in place at all. None. To understand the dangers you have to have common sense, and that is entirely absent in Thailand.

• Like 2

It's the same as road safety, no one seems to think about it until the accident happens. I remember in UK that only many years of government road safety adverts on TV cut down the amount of deaths and injury due to speeding and drink driving. 

11 hours ago, smedly said:

agree 100% 

RIP 3 little ones

Jail the parents

I disagree with jailing the parents I’m sure the parents are in a living hell rite now far beyond our comprehension perhaps making the kids water safe would be appropriate major bummer and my deepest condolences to the bereaved 

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Teaching kids to swim is a double edge sword.  On one hand, it may save them.  OTOH, it may embolden them to water. 

And if you jump in a deep ditch with super slippery slope, all the swimming skills in the world won't save you when you can't claw your way up the slippery slope.  Eventually, you'll wear out and drown.

I'm in favor of teaching kids to swim, and more importantly, to not drown.  2 slightly different skills...  Drown proofing is more about not panicking.  Swimming is more about having fun.

If my parents made the equivalent of 300 baht a day, I doubt we'd have been taking swim lessons at the local swimming hole.  Has more to do with economic priorities than "understanding".  Just like scooters...  It's not as if Thai people prefer white knuckles and bugs in their teeth to a nice air conditioned car with seat belts, especially when hauling the kids to their swimming lessons.

Agreed... the logistics of teaching kids in poor rural areas to swim is too costly too difficult. 

But, safety can still be taught in schools.... Water safety, Road safety are two key area’s which could make an impact. While they are at it, teach first aid and life saving skills.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tug said:

I disagree with jailing the parents I’m sure the parents are in a living hell rite now far beyond our comprehension perhaps making the kids water safe would be appropriate major bummer and my deepest condolences to the bereaved 

I agree, blaming the parents for a ‘cultural norm’ of letting young children go off and play is not the correct response.

I’m aghast at how any parent, career or supervising adult can allow such young children to play out of their sight, but that is because I have grown up being educated of the potential risks. 

These tragic events could be used to affect change, and educate people, but sadly, those in positions of decision making power are too far removed from any responsibility or accountability to lead any change. 

Where water safety, road safety and pretty much any safety is concerned change only starts when those in positions of decision making power are directly impacted - such is the moral compass of those in those positions empathy is nothing more than fleeting emotion soon overpowered by finical wellbeing.

Only when those in positions of decision making power are held financially accountable will things improve, such is the political landscape of Thailand. 

• Like 1

Yes fellow posters, Thailand as a country is not rich as our countries. My Thai relatives can only afford

to come to Canada once every 5 years, and only if they get to stay with us, and take tours with us

as Canada is so much more expensive to stay at, live at, or enjoy the tourist sights.   The country people

who work on the farms are seldom the richest people in the country. Swimming pools and lessons sound

great, but do not forget the expense it take. The schools will not all build swimming pools either as 

that also takes extra money that the government will likely not be willing to part with.

Geezer

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 1:49 AM, Arkady said:

So sad. RIP little girls.

I have often asked the Thai family why, in a country with water everywhere and warm weather all the year round why there is not more emphasis from schools and parents to teach kids to swim. The wife just says there is a lack of funding for swimming pools etc.  Her family's solution was to forbid the kids to play in ponds around the house.  The wife obeyed and can barely swim as an adult now.  Her younger brother disobeyed and went off on his bike with friends to learn how to swim in dangerous ponds. 

My reply is that I went to a school in a cold climate and the school didn't have a pool either.  But for the two months a year that it was vaguely warm enough for swimming we ran about a mile to another school's swimming pool and ran back for the next class.  Every boy was taught to swim. If they wanted to prioritise water safety, the government could build more pools at schools and organise bussing for schools that don't have them.  But the sad answer is that they don't care. Their kids get taught to swim and poor kids drown. The natural order of things as far they are concerned.

I totally ditto this.

I, like I think most Westerners was taught to swim at a really early age.

Our son was born in Singapore and even in kindergarten he was taught to swim.

So when we moved to Thailand I was really shocked to find how few people can swim. It's not like most of us are olympic swimmers, but the majority of us can at least tread water and do an inelegant side stroke to get us out of danger.

These poor kiddies weren't in a riptide, fast flowing water, it was a pond.

Basic swim skills, and they would all have been alive today.

So sad, and so avoidable