Phuket Sandbox: Officials say island ready to open, but fewer tourists expected

webfact

12 hours ago, sezze said:

When did you last check ? 3 weeks ago it was Green , in the meanwhile it went to Red and last week to Orange , meaning PCR test needed and i think after a few days back another PCR test , but no quarantine ( Red zone is quarantine , Green is free travel  ).

I checked 5 minutes ago:

Travellers coming to Spain from Thailand, UK, Australia, China and a few countries else don't need quarantine, vaccine or even PCR.

Must be 30 years since I last visited Phuket...was ok but nothing special.

However wife although coming from Bangkok has never actually been so suggested maybe...just maybe take a look in July sometimes...could be rather quiet...but OK...Anyway checked out flights from CM and hotels for 3 nights looked good but then read the requirements and find even local domestic travellers need for starters..the 2 xJabs...eh...?

Thailand cant even Vax their own in country residents but expect all foreign adventurers ... assuming one or 2 actually make the safari..to be fully complicit...

On that basis ...Visit Cancelled...until next year...or the one after...Roll on Xmas...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Espanol said:

I checked 5 minutes ago:

Travellers coming to Spain from Thailand, UK, Australia, China and a few countries else don't need quarantine, vaccine or even PCR.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/travel-during-coronavirus-pandemic_nl#reisbeperkingen-voor-wie-van-buiten-de-eu-komt

Thailand is stated as orange , what every country does with the color is for their own , but for EU Thailand is orange color .

2 minutes ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

Sandbox opens 1/7. Rules for entry not confirmed until Monday (5/7). So who is arriving between the 1st and the 5th?

The ghost planes full of tourists or the chosen wealthy ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder, if the overseas tourists arrive and are subjected to all these rules, will the same apply to any Thai nationals entering from a neighbouring province? Haven't seen anything reported about that. And also given it is impossible for the population of phuket to all be fully vaccinated by 1/7, will those not vaccinated be asked to leave for the safety of the tourists? Sorry, rhetorical questions.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

I wonder, if the overseas tourists arrive and are subjected to all these rules, will the same apply to any Thai nationals entering from a neighbouring province? Haven't seen anything reported about that. And also given it is impossible for the population of phuket to all be fully vaccinated by 1/7, will those not vaccinated be asked to leave for the safety of the tourists? Sorry, rhetorical questions.

Only rules for domestic tourists that don't apply are the 4 PCR tests and 14 days of being trapped on Phuket in a hotel instead of your own home.

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Only rules for domestic tourists that don't apply are the 4 PCR tests and 14 days of being trapped on Phuket in a hotel instead of your own home.

So, that suggests that the Thailand authorities do not trust the vaccination regime or the test regime in the country of origin, but everything here is just dandy.

• Like 1

JFI...From May 4th.2021...Opas Karnkawinpong, Director-General of Thailand's Department of Disease Control, made the pledge...

He said at least 70% of Thailand's population has to be inoculated to create “herd immunity” and that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha “mentioned clearly that Everyone on Thai soil, both Thais and Foreigners, can Access the Vaccines.”....Di mak Krup..yes

“Foreigners and diplomats will have the Same criteria as Thais," adding that the country had a population of 67 Million Thai Nationals and 3 Million Foreigners.

More than 2.5 million from neighboring countries, including Cambodia,Laos and Myanmar. The Rest, about 200,000, are Mostly legally living in Thailand and Retirees from Australia,China,Britain/UK, Europe, the United States and elsewhere..so...    err...roll on July...

I was very skeptical when I read this. And then:

As far as Phuket goes there had been 217 hotel bookings for the first day and 1,101 bookings for the first 15 days. 

This represented 13,116 rooms as each person will be staying an average of 12 days. 

am not a mathematician, but that looks like 1,101 bookings, or perhaps 2,000 tourists to me. 

More exaggeration. More hyperbole. More sandbox nonsense. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, khunPer said:

I presume we are talking about international long distance flights coming from mainly Europe - other articles have again and again stated that European, and American, tourists are the main number expected - which in average will carry about 200 passengers each, if not more.

So here comes the simple math...

426 x 200 = 85,200 passenger in July out of about 100,000 during all three month, which total number seems to be scaled down from earlier more specific 129,000 guests  in third quarter's sandbox.

If however, only one third of 100,000 arrives in July, the math goes like (100,000 / 3 ) / 426 = 78 passengers in average on each flight...????

Oh, perhaps I forgot that a number of these flights are for so-called quality tourists, i.e. private jets only carrying a few people onboard, then the math fits much better...????????

It will take 3 minutes or less for everyone to deplane including the flight crew

• Like 1

Friend of mine likes Thailand but not the new rules ..however needs a long haul holiday for 2 weeks with no hang ups...been Jabbed..x 2 and easy going guy and wife.  Found him a flight...European Cities to San Francisco, USA from only €195 roundtrip,,..thats about .about 7,500 Bt...Return.. He jumped at the idea... Methinks...,Dosnt Thailand realise what they ...the rest of the world are up against...Almost the same price as a return from CM to Pooket...which I considered and have already cancelled...Anyway to everyone his own...The good old days in LOS have sadly well Gone...Last Chang on Ice..

• Like 1

Golly, this is so exciting! Six hours to go! The long haul flights will be in the air as I write this, their passengers trembling as the excitement mounts, faces pressed to the windows for the first glimpse of paradise, anticipating the salutes of the policemen and the cheerful welcomes from the immigration officers. At last our travails are over - the recovery boom starts at 0001 tomorrow!

• Haha 1