Thailand reports 5,406 new COVID-19 cases, 22 more deaths

webfact

COVID28.jpg

FILE PHOTO: REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

Thailand on Monday (June 28) reported 5,406 new COVID-19 cases and 22 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

● 5,397 new infections
● 9 prison / prison infections

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 249,853 with 1,934 deaths.
(Total infections since April 1: 220,990)

The news comes as next month will be critical for the Thai health system, because hospitals will be overwhelmed and there won’t be enough beds to accommodate the increasing number of COVID-19 patients. Worse still, only about half of the 15 million doses of vaccines expected for the July will actually arrive, according to the Rural Doctor Society.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-28
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought I read that testing was being stopped, which has me more concerned.......

However, what are the chances all of these folks are truly sick, or wait someone will be along to say they are just workers from camp clusters of those to be locked in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If testing is being reduced or stopped, very high indeed as I would expect them to be symptomatic rather than contact tracing tests. If someone points to a massive cluster uncovered in some worker camp soon, I will feel rather cynical about that. 

they cannot test worker camps, the gates are locked and men with guns are standing outside 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

they cannot test worker camps, the gates are locked and men with guns are standing outside 

Don't be ridiculous...the men with guns are working for the same people as the testers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I think it is time for the denial that there is a problem here, or that it is under control to be thrown out the window and time for the progression to be very seriously addressed. The hospital system is overwhelmed already and in all likelihood the numbers are going to go up and up. Very bad news.

Nah they will just turn up the denial dial a few more notches and further reduce testing as more hospitals fill up and their five or so mobile testing units will be all that's left to test all of Thailand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

This does not make it good, but...

"Kongcheep says mass testing will be conducted in the camps and infected people will be further isolated."

"the government says they will extend construction contracts and pay 50% of workers’ wages as they sealed off in their camps. Additionally, the government intends to supply food and water for the workers."

"These forces would also work with the Public Health Ministry by providing beds at military run hospitals to make up for the dwindling supply of beds in hospitals."

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/military-police-deployed-to-seal-of-nearly-600-construction-worker-camps

• Haha 2