Overseas tourists finally roam free on Thai island of Phuket

webfact

8 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

It is now but never was before corona and will not be anymore once tourist are coming back in the same numbers.

First of all I don't agree with your assessment of filthy beaches pre pandemic, but even if so, using that as a deterrent for tourists coming now is strange at best 

• Like 1

stevel, u and i both know the beaches are not as clean June-Nov when there are onshore winds bringing all the <deleted> in>

if some one once visited in Jan an than again in July he would say,  :"the beaches are filthy"

9 hours ago, nkg said:

More dull sanctimonious whining.

Dull and sanctimonious my posts may be but at least they are on topic where as you on the other hand have not made one post intelligent or otherwise which discusses the topic.You could try and join in the discussion but as yet failed to do so.Oldcpu on has made a valid argument as to why Phuket should open to tourist and has made many points to support his argument and has given me some food for thought.My argument is about queue jumping in the vaccine queue and not about wether Phuket should open or not.We seem to be discussing two seperate issues.I didn't tie the opening of Phuket to vaccinating the population of Phuket and have no objection to that approach what so ever if that doesn't involve the elderly and vulnerable in the whole of Thailand not being vaccinated first as promised by Prayuth.I note that some suggest that I want the Phuket sandbox to fail because they fail to comprehend my argument, if I want the sandbox to fail I would just say that but people tend to assume things and fail to engage the brain before putting the mouth into gear.

• Like 1

Some more numbers for this thread ....

My recollection is the Phuket vaccination drive started in the March/April-2021 timeframe, and stopped in April-2021, after something like 22% of Phuket residents vaccinated almost all with Sinovac (not Astra Zeneca).  Most (almost all) of those were fully vaccinated.  Outbreaks elsewhere in Thailand caused the Sinovac destined for Phuket to be diverted to elsewhere to address the various local outbreaks - so new Phuket jabs stopped for new vaccinations (and only 2nd jabs of Sinovac given in Phuket to make up the 22%)..

At that time, Sinovac was not yet approved for the elderly in Thailand by the Thai FDA.  It was only later in early May-2021 that Sinovac was approved for the elderly (those that had no preconditions), and even then, after that approval, the Thai policy continued to be that they preferred to give AstraZeneca to the Thai elderly.

In May/June, the Phuket vaccination campaign restarted, mostly being Sinovac, but AstraZeneca  was also being provided.   Because its 10 to 16 weeks (time between AZ jabs varied based on changing Thailand policy) between Astra Zeneca jabs, I think it accurate to say that almost none of those in Phuket, who received AstraZeneca, have received two jabs.   So with that knowledge (only Single doses of AZ thus far) one can deduce that something less than 70K or so, of AstraZeneca doses, were given in Phuket, where I think one can correctly assume that a large % of the 70K AZ given in Phuket did indeed go to the Phuket elderly (albeit not all to elderly).

It is the AstraZeneca doses that the Thai government prefers to give to the elderly, so we are talking some number much less than 70K jabs given in Phuket, that were not given to elderly elsewhere in Thailand ....   but there is more still to this.

As other's have pointed out in this thread, the Thai government has AZ that have yet to be given in Thailand, as the Thai vaccination drive continues.

The more and more I look at the numbers, and the more I look at the sequence of numbers, and I look at the types of vaccine and the Thai government policy for those vaccines, convinces me more and more that Phuket's vaccination drive had absolutely no effect on the elderly vaccination drive elsewhere in Thailand.

There is no relation between the Phuket vaccination drive - and the drive to vaccinate the Thai elderly outside of Phuket.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not all used.  Still on the shelf, but a majority of the initial 2 million Sinovac and AZ was used by the government to vaccinate themselves and then Frontline workers of which many still have not been vaccinated. Taxi drivers, moto taxi riders, Thai Airways personnel, and don't forget the ever important athletes headed to the Olympics.  Let's try again with how many vaccines have been given to the actual people needing it.  Tourism could have been opened up in phuket without vaccinating the young and still vaccinating the elderly and in need on the island.

As we all know Ryan Chan o cha and his close buddies got Astra zeneca shots. He bought the cheap Charlie Chinese vaccine for thai population the old " Im alright jack " thinking. You will never know or believe any figures of vaccines given out by this Junta led PM. What is known is there are likely 5-10 % issued with the first Chinese vaccines, usefull as an MOT on a Honda Wave.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

is it correct that anyone living in Thailand and wanting to enter Phuket needs a COE, I need to drive there and want to make sure I need to do the test....

Does anybody knows the average price for the swab/rapid 15 minutes test.

thanks for any updates

Edited by Mavideol

Just now, Mavideol said:

is it correct that anyone living in Thailand and wanting to enter Phuket needs a COE, I need to drive there and want to make sure I need to do the test.... thanks for any updates

If you're an international arrival in Phuket, read the left column.  If you're a domestic arrival in Phuket read the right column and no COE is needed as a COE is only needed to enter Thailand.

You do need to do either a rapid antigen or RT-PCR test up to 7 days before entering Phuket.

Media reported that that period had been shortened to 72 hours but it turned out they were mistaken.

209474907_10159150130647978_8835754827321714419_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, skatewash said:

If you're an international arrival in Phuket, read the left column.  If you're a domestic arrival in Phuket read the right column and no COE is needed as a COE is only needed to enter Thailand.

You do need to do either a rapid antigen or RT-PCR test up to 7 days before entering Phuket.

Media reported that that period had been shortened to 72 hours but it turned out they were mistaken.

209474907_10159150130647978_8835754827321714419_n.jpg

thanks a million, do appreciate the fast update and will go for the RT-PCR

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:10 AM, bojo said:

Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today........................... Smartphones aren't all expensive and can save you money, even make you money..................................... The sooner you get one, the eaiser and more informative your 21st Century life will be........................

I do think you are correct in your statement . Please have a chat with my 95 year old father about that . 

5 hours ago, skatewash said:

Public Health Minister Anutin was vaccinated with the Sinovac vaccine on 28 Feb 2021.  The first to be vaccinated in Thailand, and the first to be jabbed with the Sinovac vaccine.

PM Prayut was vaccinated with AstraZeneca on 16 March 2021, the first person in Thailand to be vaccinated with that vaccine which at the time was the only vaccine available and approved in Thailand for those 60 and older.  PM Prayut is over 60 years old.

Wouldn't surprise me if Anutin took the best Vaccine then told everyone he took the Sinovac that most country's have refused to licence.

11 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Some more numbers for this thread ....

My recollection is the Phuket vaccination drive started in the March/April-2021 timeframe, and stopped in April-2021, after something like 22% of Phuket residents vaccinated almost all with Sinovac (not Astra Zeneca).  Most (almost all) of those were fully vaccinated.  Outbreaks elsewhere in Thailand caused the Sinovac destined for Phuket to be diverted to elsewhere to address the various local outbreaks - so new Phuket jabs stopped for new vaccinations (and only 2nd jabs of Sinovac given in Phuket to make up the 22%)..

At that time, Sinovac was not yet approved for the elderly in Thailand by the Thai FDA.  It was only later in early May-2021 that Sinovac was approved for the elderly (those that had no preconditions), and even then, after that approval, the Thai policy continued to be that they preferred to give AstraZeneca to the Thai elderly.

In May/June, the Phuket vaccination campaign restarted, mostly being Sinovac, but AstraZeneca  was also being provided.   Because its 10 to 16 weeks (time between AZ jabs varied based on changing Thailand policy) between Astra Zeneca jabs, I think it accurate to say that almost none of those in Phuket, who received AstraZeneca, have received two jabs.   So with that knowledge (only Single doses of AZ thus far) one can deduce that something less than 70K or so, of AstraZeneca doses, were given in Phuket, where I think one can correctly assume that a large % of the 70K AZ given in Phuket did indeed go to the Phuket elderly (albeit not all to elderly).

It is the AstraZeneca doses that the Thai government prefers to give to the elderly, so we are talking some number much less than 70K jabs given in Phuket, that were not given to elderly elsewhere in Thailand ....   but there is more still to this.

As other's have pointed out in this thread, the Thai government has AZ that have yet to be given in Thailand, as the Thai vaccination drive continues.

The more and more I look at the numbers, and the more I look at the sequence of numbers, and I look at the types of vaccine and the Thai government policy for those vaccines, convinces me more and more that Phuket's vaccination drive had absolutely no effect on the elderly vaccination drive elsewhere in Thailand.

There is no relation between the Phuket vaccination drive - and the drive to vaccinate the Thai elderly outside of Phuket.

Here is some more info to explain how Phuket is not the only place suffering per your friends and your beliefs.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/05/pattaya-city-mayor-addresses-viral-photos-of-massive-food-donation-charity-lines-in-the-city-on-social-media/

Edited by ThailandRyan