Academics: Thai govt does not provide enough vaccine options for citizens and insists on buying the Sinovac vaccine

47 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I rather suspect that purchasing Moderna and Pfizer on the open market (remember Thailand opted out of the international distribution scheme for reasons which whilst perhaps rather opaque, don't require the brains of an archbishop to understand) requires cash - up front. Chinese vaccines are quite likely accompanied by a "line of credit"!

I am willing to bet, that they thought they would control covid, until the major countries like the US, were fully vaccinated and then , they could buy it cheap. .And they almost made it. , IMO they did not count on variants, and the Songkran debacle  did not help. , 

I am sure there were a lot of politics involved also.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

raises questions and doubts among many about Chinese companies paying money to the Thai government to accept Sinovac as the main choice for vaccines in Thailand

Who having a new pool built, or whose saving now are above their declared income ? 

The government had a golden opportunity to keep ahead of the game and purchase the best there was to offer, like the old adage you get what you pay for - obviously the Thai government do not think the Thai population deserves the best, they would rather spend the money on tanks & other armaments that they are not desperate for.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Academics stated that the Thai government does not give its citizens enough options for Corona vaccines, noting that the Thai government’s decision that the Chinese Sinovac vaccine will be the primary vaccine for Thailand, and its insistence on buying more of the Sinovac vaccine, raises questions and doubts among many about Chinese companies paying money to the Thai government to accept Sinovac as the main choice for vaccines in Thailand, although many Thais prefer European and American vaccines after confirming the weak effectiveness of Sinovac compared to other vaccines.

Stating the obvious... choices Sino this Sino that or limited AZ.

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

When the use by date is running out they will be kissing our butts to take it.

Nah, they'll just change the labels or put their thumb over the expiry date when they're administering it.

Has the Thai govt given their reason for NOT joining the COVAX scheme unlike most of their neighbouring countries who are now receiving donated vaccines!? I mean - what possible reason on earth can they provide that justifies such a dumb decision!? I would love to hear this one...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

A senior ranking nurse friend of mine insists it's because a certain "influential" Sino-Thai family has a financial interest in the production of the Sinovac vaccine. (They also happen to have a little convenience store side business.) But I keep telling her she's being paranoid ????

6 hours ago, JamieM said:

I heard the same rumour.

it cannot be, no Thai would do that to the other 69,974,89 Thais for personal gain!

• Haha 1

The reference to the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).

I will note that Zuellig Pharma the agent for Moderna is a 80+ year old company working in SE ASia and the Pfizer Thailand office was created in 1958 so both these companies have ample experience working in Thailand.

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

A more likely scenario is Chinese companies paying (or having paid) wads of cash to certain individuals IN the government.

So if the kickback is before the purchase it is still a kickback.

The other vaccines have been available but just haven't been ordered.  The Chinese vaccines are weak.  Many medical personnel with two shots have become infected anyway throughout many asian countries.

Anyone else noticed that this post (after the rebrand and concern about the Hong Kong connection) is eerily quiet and completely missing of the usual defensive posts from pro ccp, pro sinovac trolls? none of them! not one have has risen to the bait of this post?

What is going on? I can't help but notice that this post seems very quiet for a post of this type they are not even leaving confused and sad faces on every post like usual. What is going on?

Have they been told to hold back for a while so it's not so blatant?

Any competition to Sinovac and AZ Made in Thailand is unwanted!

Maximize sales and profits of these even sacrificing the health of the people.

For the reasons find out yourselves.

(look at the companies, ownership)

The story about Moderna order by GPO (government pharmaceutical organization) is shocking. They won't place an order before the money collected by the private hospitals is on their accounts. Moderna supplies will be meager and late.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:53 AM, JamieM said:

They didn't seem to want them to begin with did they? we can speculate as to why perhaps pressure and or brown envelopes from Beijing? as the academics are suggesting, coupled with the health ministers obvious distaste for foreigners, who knows? but one things for sure, they really didn't seem to want to sign up for COVAX to start with.

Thailand defends decision not to join COVAX vaccine alliance:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN2AE0CZ

Another monumental mistake by this administration.

Will not matter, as they won't take responsibility for this disaster and are accountable to no-one except the proprietor. 

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Any competition to Sinovac and AZ Made in Thailand is unwanted!

Maximize sales and profits of these even sacrificing the health of the people.

For the reasons find out yourselves.

(look at the companies, ownership)

The story about Moderna order by GPO (government pharmaceutical organization) is shocking. They won't place an order before the money collected by the private hospitals is on their accounts. Moderna supplies will be meager and late.

They were hoping it was going to go their way, the narrative maintained and everybody praising how the day was saved only due to their actions and generosity.

A modern day miracle worker munificently bestowing the vaccine on all the poor and ungrateful subjects. 

IMO it has done irreparable damage to the narrative and will give more ammunition to and further embolden the protesters in Bangkok and others who are growing increasingly dissatisfied with this debacle.

• Like 1

CP Group have issued a statement, back in May, clarifying muddling their investment. I think obfuscation was the point, but as near as I can figure, a company controlled by CP Group took a 15% interest in the company which produces Sinovac. A timely, wise and should I say, 'fortunate' "investment which, based on the orders from the Thai regime, should pay off handsomely.

The group stresses that CP is only a small shareholder in Sino Biopharmaceutical, in which it invested through the Hong Kong stock market. It has no management control and capacity to interfere with any decision involving Sinovac.

The group warned that, after the clarification, if it finds distorted information damaging it or causing a misunderstanding, it will be forced to take legal action. 

China's Sinovac attracts $515m to help double COVID vaccine output

CP Group affiliate to take 15% stake in unit making CoronaVac

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/China-s-Sinovac-attracts-515m-to-help-double-COVID-vaccine-output

21 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Another monumental mistake by this administration.

Will not matter, as they won't take responsibility for this disaster and are accountable to no-one except the proprietor. 

Have they taken any responsibility at all?  Only when it appears there was a small success, and then they rested on their laurels and claimed everything was right as rain and that as the center of the universe they had beaten the evil Covid back.  When it reared it's ugly head due to a new variation, it was "it will be contained and over in a few weeks.  Well a few weeks has turned into months and the vaccines promised have not materialized and then the ones they say they have ordered have in fact never been ordered.  This lot is very good at lying and then shifting blame to someone else.  Not my problem as Anutin points his finger elsewhere, it's theirs they are to blame.  When does someone step up and say the Buck stops here, it is my fault?, never.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 6:21 AM, morrobay said:

" raises questions among many .. about chinese companies paying money to thai govt. to accept sinovac".  Isn't there a term for this that starts with k ?

Corruption starts with a 'C', greed with a 'G', and malfeasance with a 'M'.

Put them together and what do they spell?

Junta.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, Geoffggi said:
On 7/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, sirineou said:

In management there is a saying "don't let  the perfect be the enemy of the good, "

I have no idea if Thai politicians were bribed to go with Sinovac, but I know that it was more readily available, it was easier transportable and stored, and less expensive, So if I was in the Thai government I would have to make a decision. Do I want a bird in the hand, or wait for two in the bush. 

Hmmm. It depends I guess.

Is the bird in hand alive? Is it useful for anything? Does anybody else want it?