Tourism Council chief says he can't predict tourism numbers -  days after deputy did just that

webfact

He's got the haircut that matters, and that's all that matters!

He'll do very well. 

Even if they have to pay tourists to come on his watch, and quite frankly, since everyone else gets fistfuls of money for anything ever to happen in LoS -perhaps they should.

2 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

How do he get 10% out of 'no tourists to speak of" a.k.a zero? No wonder they're all unexplained Billionaires!

Vaccine chaos, and Delta variant infections climbing into the double digit thousnds by the end of july, with guaranteed new and interesting variants to come in the northern winter.

How can they even begin thinking about "opening up"? The the trench war mentality of the sluggish military mind only "works" on beachheads, not beaches.

And very unlikely there would be the slighted of anything working in a Thai military mind - beachhead or anywhere else - although they might think it means oral sex on the beach. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that the third wave of the pandemic was severe for the tourism industry with 36% of businesses temporarily shut and many having gone under permanently.

In Samui that would be at least 50% temporarily shut, with probably 40% gone under completely, leaving about 10% running...just

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A sensible statement. What I do not understand, however, is that those in charge in Thailand have not understood what marketers in other countries have known for decades, namely that the best sales channel is not advertising, it is satisfied customers. In the case of Thailand, this would mean that they provide relief for foreigners who already live / are in Thailand instead of treating us as criminals, unwelcome or sixth class citizens.

that will make a change from us. Instead of writing to our friends in other countries, that Thailand is a <deleted>ty country, we would write that Thailand is nice and it treat foreigners well. That will get tourists here as soon as possible without paying millions of Baht on advertising that does not work. "Make Thailand to the LOS again".

2 minutes ago, Parsve said:

it is satisfied customers.

Spot on...........if I could speak German I would make a fortune retraining the whole country........they do not have a clue about customer care........customers are generally viewed as a nuisance !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Seems like he realized that predicting is difficult, especially about the future...????

I got real good at predicting the past. When I was a kid I did real good at history cause of it. The present I am unaware of. The future is something I am looking into while building my flux capacitor. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The worst case scenario is that the Delta variant will show-up on the island, making a tough decision for some to make whether to close it or risk everything by keeping everything open.

Plus the promise of after 14 days you can go nationwide, just as Delta is spreading fast.

A very dangerous situation for any foreigner who shows up here. 

• Like 2

I agree, that the Sand box and Anutin says whatever happens in the sandbox stays in the sand box. Those lucky tourists may have

their total holiday enjoyed in Phuket, as the rules may change due to Delta and maybe the Brazil variant as well.

Who really knows what the next 2 weeks will bring.

Geezer

22 hours ago, chalawaan said:

He's got the haircut that matters, and that's all that matters!

He'll do very well. 

Even if they have to pay tourists to come on his watch, and quite frankly, since everyone else gets fistfuls of money for anything ever to happen in LoS -perhaps they should.

yes, it's similar to "904" military and police obligatory haircut.

I do think he did dismiss those 1-3mln for this year and still works on 7-21mln planned earlier.

The highest numbers they cook up, the larger their salaries, subsidies and potential larger kick backs from ASQ and ALQ hotels from phuket, and shortly from samui and pattaya.

In fact, the ASQ are under direct supervision of army. I would suspect, that ALQ  are also army directly controlled.

The very chief of this tourist organisation is a perfect tool to launder and transfer money to those in charge of 904 haircut 

21 hours ago, Parsve said:

A sensible statement. What I do not understand, however, is that those in charge in Thailand have not understood what marketers in other countries have known for decades, namely that the best sales channel is not advertising, it is satisfied customers. In the case of Thailand, this would mean that they provide relief for foreigners who already live / are in Thailand instead of treating us as criminals, unwelcome or sixth class citizens.

that will make a change from us. Instead of writing to our friends in other countries, that Thailand is a <deleted>ty country, we would write that Thailand is nice and it treat foreigners well. That will get tourists here as soon as possible without paying millions of Baht on advertising that does not work. "Make Thailand to the LOS again".

Thailand Make "Thailand to the LOS again". Thailand already is LOS. Land of Stupidity.