After Phuket debacle Samui leads way in "no tourist rip off" taxi and public transport scheme

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

ASEAN Now notes that this is considerably different to Bangkok where the flagfall is still 35 baht and where a ride of a couple of kilometers would cost about 50 baht.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said this was all Department of Land Transport rates. 

The rates have always been different to Bangkok. Very few populated centres and some way apart. Not like a real city.

Many years ago, the official rate was meter plus 90 baht. Mind you, the taxi drivers back then only followed that rule until the Land Transport officials left the island. Then it was 'Right guys. Now that they have gone, back to fixed price'.

I have lived here for more than twenty years. Never used a taxi.

• Like 2

Not sure why the Government is allowing Taxi's on Samui to charge 100% more than Bangkok? I will agree that the petrol is 1 baht a litre more expensive which would add about 10satang per KM to the cost.

Discussion is probably immaterial as the drivers will not use the meters ! 

• Like 1

Shhh, it is all under control, no problems, we have ensured there will be no problems, as we have made them all SHA+ taxis, and you can use your discount of 50% off by using the special app if your Thai.  If your a foreigner well then dual pricing applies, sorry said Worakitti Chaichana of the Surat Thani transport authority.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Total BS. Samui has always been the land of the taxi mafia. Years ago the army swooped in and "straightened them out". 

They used their meters for one week. Then back to normal gangster rates again. No fines. No repurcussions. Nothing. Typical of the "we don't ever follow up on anything", do nothing army. 

And typical of the long term public transportation issues on Samui. 

Total BS, there has not always been metered taxis and taxi mafia on Samui, they only arrived about 10-15 years ago.

Before that time there were only song thaews driving on agreed fares after 6 pm, and private cars operating as taxis from for example the old airport terminal, 200 baht for an about 10 kilometers ride.

• Like 2

I haven't been to Samui for years. The last couple of times I took my own transport, but I remember way back in 2004 we went for a friend's wedding and me and a buddy got charged about 600 Baht to Lamai from the airport (about 15kms). Maybe the prices he is quoting are per person and not per journey lol? 17 years later post pandemic I expect that would be closer to 1000 Baht. A lovely welcome to the island.

All these Thai islands are the same, run by local mafias and a law unto themselves. On the plus side, Lamai was a good laugh back then and I had a great time. Last time I went it had lost it's charm.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Total BS, there has not always been metered taxis and taxi mafia on Samui, they only arrived about 10-15 years ago.

Before that time there were only song thaews driving on agreed fares after 6 pm, and private cars operating as taxis from for example the old airport terminal, 200 baht for an about 10 kilometers ride.

Give me one example of a fairly priced taxi ride on Samui. 

The meters may have arrived 10 years ago, but all of them have only been used a few times. I was living on Samui during the infamous army taxi crwckdown. I remember how long "Samui army rule" lasted. 

• Like 2

Noticed that the taxi driver quoted was at the ferry. Last time I flew into Samui taxis were not allowed in the terminal unless booked beforehand. The contract at the airport was controlled by the Russians. Has it changed since.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I just gave you one in the quoted text of mine, 200 baht from the old airport terminal to Maenam, an approx 10 kilometer ride...????

• Like 1

These Thais driving taxis and selling stuff to tourists see signs outside national parks & museums & temples & other attractions listing admission prices, and the prices for tourists are wildly higher than for Thai people, so when they overcharge and rip off foreigners they don't think they're doing a bad thing, they think they're doing the correct thing because their government and their religion encourage them to do so. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Samui airport to Maenam. Max 11 km, 100 + max 200 = 300.

(what are the "first couple"?)

Haha.

When I took a taxi (July 2020) there was no word of meter.

700 Baht flat.

Is a waterfront bungalow still 60 baht a night as it was the last time I stayed there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fixed rate taxi prices on Samui seems to originate from the song thaew prices after 6 pm, at which time the rates became freed from the price list; in daytime song thaews drove fixed routes with price per person after a prioce list, 20 baht to about 100 baht depending on distance.

Before metered taxis arrived on Samui the song thaews would charge little high end prices at night to drive people around, often folks driving to the night life in Chaweng, or Lamai, and back. 400-500 baht for a 10-15 kilometers ride was about going price in the early 2000s, and tourists accepted those prices whilst locals considered them expensive.

Today the going rate for the same distance is 500-700 baht, so actually not that way out, when considering inflation and consumer price index, compared to "the good old days" before the arrival of the taxi mafia.

Last time I used a song thaew was at night from Lamai to Maenam, 600 baht.

The problem might rather be that the taxi meters are set too low compared to going rates for driving song thaews without meter.

Anybody who that know a recent price of a Grap or similar app taxi for 10-15 kilometers ride?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

Anybody who that know a recent price of a Grap or similar app taxi for 10-15 kilometers ride?

Plai Laem (Six Senses) to the airport 250 to 300 baht with Grab.

Pre-Covid it was also 300 baht for the same distance by local private car owners.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

I just gave you one in the quoted text of mine, 200 baht from the old airport terminal to Maenam, an approx 10 kilometer ride...????

I have been quoted 200 baht to go 1.5 km. in Lamai. 

I am sure if you spent enough time and asked enough drivers, you could find ONE who was willing to quote a fair price, on a slow day. 

What is being discussed here, is the tendency amongst 98% of them, to scalp.

And if there is one thing that is for certain, the weak and spectacularly corrupt local authorities will do nothing about it. 

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Plai Laem (Six Senses) to the airport 250 to 300 baht with Grab.

Pre-Covid it was also 300 baht for the same distance by local private car owners.

Thanks, that's about 7-8 kilometers with bends and curves on the road, perhaps even 10 kilometers, so fits quite well with the taxi's metered price; i.e. 100 start including a couple of kilometers, plus 20 bahr per kilometer.

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have been quoted 200 baht to go 1.5 km. in Lamai. 

I am sure if you spent enough time and asked enough drivers, you could find ONE who was willing to quote a fair price, on a slow day. 

What is being discussed here, is the tendency amongst 98% of them, to scalp.

And if there is one thing that is for certain, the weak and spectacularly corrupt local authorities will do nothing about it. 

That was not your question, which I answered, you are changing the subject now. And I was at that time a Thailand-green blue-eyed foreigner, not even asking anybody, but I was offered a "taxi"-ride when coming out from the old airport terminal area. 200 baht was the offer to Maenam, same price as a seat in Bangkok Airway's minibus shuttle, but I didn't need to wait for other passengers, and stop several times en route.

Your statement was...

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total BS. Samui has always been the land of the taxi mafia. Years ago the army swooped in and "straightened them out". 

And I replied...

22 hours ago, khunPer said:

And then you asked...

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

-and that was, what I did, twice actually, and that is what is discussed right here.

So what is a fair price?

200 baht for 1.5 kilometers in Lamai with the first 100 baht for the meter fall, was it late night?

Did you ask other taxis to take you to youyr destination, using their meter?

In many countries there would for example be a surcharge for late night and weekend rides.

Taxi's and song thaew's fixed prices are about similar. The fixed taxi prices seems to originate from the fixed song thaew prices (after 6 pm) during "the good old days" on Samui, before progress and tourists spoiled the island. So in a way it's fair that metered taxis don't under-quote the song thaew-drivers that have been doing business on the island long before the metered taxis arrived.

So what is fair price?

Last time I used a metered taxi I drove from Nathon to Maenam, he didn't use the meter but quoted me 400 baht, which was "a fair price" based on "good old days" Samui-standard, and I needed the taxi enough, not to argue or wait if someone else showed up and would drive me on the meter fare (quite unlikely).

Last time I used a song thaew was from Lamai to Maenam, he quoted 600 baht for the ride, 4 people all together, so 150 baht each person if divided, and late night after the boxing match finished about 1 am at Lamai Square; to me it was a fair price, taking Samui-standard and time into consideration, but for country-men foreigners coming straight from Scandinavia as tourists it would be a ridiculous cheap price...????

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:38 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Samui airport to Maenam. Max 11 km, 100 + max 200 = 300.

(what are the "first couple"?)

Haha.

When I took a taxi (July 2020) there was no word of meter.

700 Baht flat.

There are no taxis in Samui airport, they are not allowed inside the gate in the arrival area, so you must have taken a taxi waiting outside the airport area by for example 7-Eleven. You can use an airport shuttle instead, there is a counter in the arrival hall just after the luggage carousel, it's often cheaper than a taxi ride...????

A "couple" is normally "two"; i.e. 2 kilometers...????

• Like 1