Thai borders to open up after mass vaccinations

webfact

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

refresh my memory please, who are the current World Cup holders and 1998 winners, Euro winners of 1984 & 2000, how many did England win... 555

5555....no need, my son-in-law is from Grenoble......he keeps me abreast of such things.....5555

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

5555....no need, my son-in-law is from Grenoble......he keeps me abreast of such things.....5555

glad we got things clear then   5555555555555

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Someone woke up believing the pandemic was over and the world alright again.

The Indians thought the pandemic was over and they went out celebrating. Look what happened to them when the Delta variant struck.

Edited by EricTh

What do we have here? Some excellent Journalistic Mis-representation.To begin with, no borders have been opened as yet,not if you consider opening Phuket a Grand Opening. Look what it's gotten you? PM self quarantined now after being exposed to an unsuspecting VIP during the Sandbox Opening event on July 1st.Madness and letting your guard down for  tourism dollars.

How about getting the current outbreak or wave under control first?

If Thailand makes it to the red list of most countries where international tourists come from, that in itself will be a major problem. The way things are looking right now, we're probably just a few weeks away from that happening.

Edited by Caldera

5 hours ago, webfact said:

After the mass vaccination rollout, governments and the public are looking forward to the reopening of borders, just like the “sandbox” project Thailand has just launched on Phuket island.

Surely that's fake news?

14 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

So the borders will open up after max inoculation, so its 2013 at least then.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you mean 2023.....and yes that's about right.

The way they are rolling out the vaccine inoculation it's more likely to be 2025, and by that time the Country will be in a worse state than the 1997 Asian financial crash. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OJAS said:

I suspect that most of us Brits feel more than a little jealousy towards both the French and Chinese because their governments have sanctioned vaccination programmes for their respective expat communities here through local hospitals using vaccine doses which are surplus to requirements back home.

On the other hand, dear ol' Boris has instead decided to cheerfully give away all vaccine doses which are surplus to requirements in the UK to poorer countries, instead of earmarking some of them to find their way into the arms of British expats here with the assistance of local hospitals. I can only infer that this "generous" gesture on ol' Boris's part is primarily motivated by a desire to mitigate the effects of his decision to cut the UK's overseas aid budget of which these poorer countries are the principal beneficiaries, and that, as a result, he has absolutely no problem with British expats here being, in effect, offered up as sacrificial lambs on the high altar of Saving Face through denying us entitlement to surplus UK COVID-19 vaccine doses.

You could always take responsibility for yourself and pop back home and get it  anytime, only a bit of effort required.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
And the dreams that you dream of
Dreams really do come true-ooh-ooh ...

The goobamint needs to shelve all the pie-in-the-sky stuff and make vaccinations a priority.  They are about 6 months behind getting things rolling. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I suspect most of Thais (not that many) have been vaccinated with

Sinovac which is not effective against the Delta (indian Variant )

which spreads easier and is a lot more serious virus.

So when things are going downhill fast, Thailand is thinking of

opening up..????rolling eyes emoji ,  as still not working......

regards Worgeordie

Maybe, but the Phuket Sandbox has shown 2000 entries with just one arrival testing positive.  And he was whisked off to quarantine.  Compare that to a ride on the BTS or MRT where approximately 20% of your fellow passengers would test positive (if they can find a test). 

It would be one thing if the Delta wasn't already in Thailand.  But it is.  Rampant.   Keeping vaccinated, tested foreigners out isn't keeping the virus out.  Vaccinating and testing does that, 99.95% effective if you believe the Sandbox numbers.   It's just keeping their tourist money out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And others woke up realizing that the world will never be the same, and snapped to the fact that they have to deal with what it is, not what it was or what they wished it was.

Tourism will never be the same.  Time to figure out how to make a living the way it's going to be for a long, long time.  The Phuket Sandbox is a good start.  A Pattaya Sandbox is a logical next step.  Bangkok?  That's a mess.

Edited by impulse

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

Predicted 10,000 new cases daily and there talking about opening up borders instead of locking down , this Government just talk crazy and change their minds everyday.

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Predicted 100,000 new cases daily and they are talking about opening up , this Government just talk crazy and change their minds every week.

Boris Johnson is facing calls to abandon plans to remove almost all remaining Covid restrictions as a coalition of over 100 scientists and doctors warn it is a “dangerous and unethical experiment”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-boris-johnson-19-july-b1879959.html

On 7/8/2021 at 11:11 AM, ThailandRyan said:

No I think he meant we need to go back in history in a time machine and then prepare for what's to come.  That will give 5 good years to develop a plan....

and the first plan in the year 2013 would need to have been to get the unelected "there won't be a coup" PM well away from his other generals and the rest of the Thai army. ????

On 7/8/2021 at 11:12 AM, Thomas J said:

Watching the government react to the Covid pandemic is like watching Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau solve a crime.

Early on you get two people with the sniffles and there is a Covid alert, red zones, quarantines, businesses closed, alcohol sales stopped, police check points, mask mandates, airport closures etc. 

Now you have several thousand and they are opening the borders. Not that I don't think that opening does not make sense if the people coming in are vaccinated. 

It is just the ludicrous nature of watching them not being able to establish a cohesive policy.  They are opening the borders while simultaneously banning the sale of alcohol between certain hours.  As if Covid only spreads between 20:00 and 04:00.

All this with the back drop of reports that "they are still reviewing contracts" to procure Pfizer, and Moderna vaccines.  And of course lets not forget the sign up on Mor Prom and Intervac web sites. 

I have long said that you want the government to run as little as possible.  Only those things like national defense that the private sector can not do.  To look at the response begs the question, why would anyone ever think that having the government control health care is a good idea. 

"Watching the government react to the Covid pandemic is like watching Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau solve a crime." Well certainly not like watching Columbo. ????

• Haha 2

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Yeh, I'll just take weeks off from work and jump through all the hoops because its my responsibility. Certainly not the responsibility of the government of my home country or the one where I currently reside, pay taxes, contribute to social security and help people a lot worse off than myself.

Plus the risk of contacting the virus will all the enforced traveling.......

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Surelynot said:

England only "won" the world cup in 1966 because of a goal that did not even cross the line. I would not be surprised if the referee in that game and the Portugal vs Brazil game where Brazil got kicked off the park, got nice thick brown envelopes.  

( smiling face with open mouth)

Edited by possum1931
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

England only "won" the world cup in 1966 because of a goal that did not even cross the line. I would not be surprised if the referee in that game and the Portugal vs Brazil game where Brazil got kicked off the park, got nice thick brown envelopes. ????

That would make the score 3-2..........????

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

England only "won" the world cup in 1966 because of a goal that did not even cross the line. I would not be surprised if the referee in that game and the Portugal vs Brazil game where Brazil got kicked off the park, got nice thick brown envelopes. ????

....................and if England hadnt scored that other goal and also if Germany had scored another goal 

• Haha 1