Anyone know the story behind all the blackface I see around town?

JDJD

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

I would say that all it means is that a member here is trying to make it an issue when, in Thailand, it isn't.   

Then why was the issue of "blackface" being brought up at all. 

skin colour- based social heirarchy system throughout asia / africa/ latin america

so skin whitening products everywhere.....for a reason

very light / white skin is top; very dark / black is bottom ; race (indirectly) in this system

just the way it is and will always be away from West Woke locations which have reversed this sustem

into “ white bad/ black brown good” ; having had the other system in place ( reduced form) until say sixty years ago; both systems equally stupid; but hard wired in humans it seems; mass human psychosis at its “ finest”.... along with our hysterical covid response ......

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Because a non-Thai wants to make an issue about it here.

As stated, obvious that the USA mindset of making every aspect of life and having to note racial overtones in it.  Perhaps the person who made the dolls just thought they were cute and adorable.  The fact that the OP specifically thought to find it worth noting they were Blackface is evidence of that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It kind of does when there are exaggerations of lips and eyes.

I am inclined to agree these tropes are all ober British and US cuture right now. In my youth Black and White Minstresl (all white singers blacked up were prime time BBC

The Jam was Robertson's and the popular rag doll "golliwogs" were given as metallic musicians by saving lables so kids created brand loyalty, some nigardly progress meaant a faux link to British servicemen's term <deleted> (Widely Oriental Gentlemen) as explained by the Major in Fawlty Towers aired recently.

I suppose the intention to cause office and education has some way to go here, but not sure we can force low paid present generation to undo the sins of the fathers and granfather?

Fortundownload.jpg.4da64318da5355a4b9ce54a302a0d04c.jpgately critical race theory not neede in a land of dual pricing and instituinalised racism against hill tribes born here let alone privileged falands.

Off to spread my Golly

download.jpg

• Like 1

Omitted other images of teh lapel badge pins.I was not in England but many schoolboys had dozens I think there were around 20 in the "band'I read the Ozzie Eski to renamed and so many old American brnds are seen today by some woke warriors as cultural appropriaion. I am not sure these identity politics aare a useful divide and misrule tactic and have always found god hearted people look at thedownload.jpg.b3621933d21dc9575227edd1a6f7fe69.jpgimages.jpg.5675e47d7c720462417b545627402c6a.jpgdownload.jpg.593c075b7e3af8e3646b99b14e6ba56e.jpg fuller picture oh Lordy lordy

3 hours ago, LeatFingies said:

So as a white guy, if I buy one and hang it from my review mirror, I should be safe right?

Definitely not safe if it's bigger or higher than the amulets already hanging from your 'review mirror'.

"Blackface" signs in Thailand go all the way back to the Vietnam War. 

Bars that had girls that were willing to go with "Chocolate Man" would put a "Blackface" in, or outside the bar, to let the soldiers know that the women in that bar would not only take a knee for them, they would take two knees for them.  ????  

This tradition has remained until this day.  ????  

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

"Blackface" signs in Thailand go all the way back to the Vietnam War. 

Bars that had girls that were willing to go with "Chocolate Man" would put a "Blackface" in, or outside the bar, to let the soldiers know that the women in that bar would not only take a knee for them, they would take two knees for them.  ????  

This tradition has remained until this day.  ????  

I remember around the early 1980's when some of the bars round the back of the low end of Walking Street and the Marine Bar started to put little stuffed camels in or outside them.

• Haha 1

Semang

Ethnic group
Description
The Semang are a Negrito ethnic group of the Malay Peninsula. They are found in Perak, Pahang, Kelantan and Kedah of Malaysia and the southern provinces of Thailand. They have been recorded to have lived in the Malay Peninsula since before the 3rd century. They are ethnologically described as nomadic hunter-gatherers. Wikipedia

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I remember around the early 1980's when some of the bars round the back of the low end of Walking Street and the Marine Bar started to put little stuffed camels in or outside them.

Yes.  The two hump camels signified long time, and the one hump camel signified short time.  ????

You didn't mention what town? Phattalung, Surat? Nakhon?

They are Sarkai. I think the characters that you see are from folk stories or shadow puppet theatre.

Although I lived in the south for many years, there are reservations in various places but I never really came across them. I spent a bit of time wild camping in Gerik, Malaysia - you see a lot of the same people, "Orang Asli" living in the jungle or government communities.

Edited by recom273

4 hours ago, JDJD said:

For now I will lean towards bluebluewater and the Northern Tribes theory. He's asked around a bit. The first picture I showed most distinctly shows over exaggerated lips and chains around the ankles. Could be jewelry? I was talking to a pale skinned Thai friend of mine a few weeks ago. She asked me, "You like skin black?". Because I have been on the motorbike a lot lately and not covering my arms and legs. I told her I didn't mind either way.

I went on to explain how people like Trump, or DeCaprio, or Jolie have tans because they are portrayed as people that vacation to extravagant, warm, sunny places. People that have time to golf every day, take a cruise on their private yacht, or lay around the beach resort soaking up the rays. Properties in America and all over the world are higher priced next to the beaches. Wealthy people own the properties and enjoy the beach.  Wealthy people own plenty of property in cold places also, don't think I'm confused. 

I also believe companies love to sell whitening products to Thai people to make money. Lots of money! Make them believe they are not good enough or of lower class than pale skinned people. That many elite in Asia never see the light of day. From limousine to penthouse. She said, "Thai people like white skin because it makes them look clean and makes them want to hug and kiss haha." I said, "So dark skin makes you look dirty, like a fisherman or a farmer?". She didn't reply. Presumably because much of her family are farmers. Or because my skin is now tanned, and she doesn't mind kissing. lol Sorry, I left this part out. Then she said, "Tanned, not black men, look strong". Humans will go to every length to portray others as the others. Hilltribes sounds logical as well as cute stuffed dolls/culture brought over from America. Displaying them in front of businesses or selling them in religious souvenir shops seems like there is really a story behind it. 

I have met a few Thais who dislike darker skins because it makes those people "look dirty". A local attitude, up to them. 

12 hours ago, JDJD said:

This forum never seems to amaze me! Businesses displaying pieces might mean Blacks are not allowed at the establishment. That would make sense. Maybe it's a big thing in China? I'm sure someone will actually know. Keep em coming. Thanks! 

They are just garden gnomes....but black. It would be racist if we only allowed gnomes to be white. 

The other thing is a doll for decoration.  It's not about being anti black people. 

7 hours ago, rott said:

Anyone besides the OP seen any/many about.? 

It used to be a craze about them here a couple of years ago.I remember many of the girls used to buy them.

My GF had one in her car at one time.

Edited by Yahooka

12 hours ago, simon43 said:

JT - you're falling into the same trap that you seem to fall into every time >>> attacking someone whose view opposes you, rather than a logical discussion.

you hit that nail on the head 

12 hours ago, orchis said:

the second picture in the OP refers to a negrito group of people in southernmost Thailand: Sakai (Maniq). These statuettes are holding bags of money; good luck charms.

there was a Maniq child, Kanang, living at the court of Rama V ca. 1900.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniq_people

kanang.jpg

I believe there are some people, or similar,  in the Malaysian highlands to this day.  From long, long ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

JT - you're falling into the same trap that you seem to fall into every time >>> attacking someone whose view opposes you, rather than a logical discussion.

If (as a white guy), I find depictions of white-skinned people in cartoons, dolls, movies offensive and racist, should I clamour for them to be banned?  Of course not. I can live with my views and I'm happy to respect but ignore the views of those who disagree with me.

I get it. You respond to what you incorrectly perceive as an ad hominem attack (I was characterizing the content of your post, not you) with a definite ad hominem attack. Dude, that is rich. 

BTW, I wasn't clamoring for anything to be banned. That's your trip -- responding to arguments other people didn't make as if they made them. That's convenient. My interest here has clearly been focused on the historical origin of the items depicted by the author.