What will cops do to discourage being out after 9pm?

Hal65

There is a new voluntary curfew in effect. Police will use some sort of pressure then. PattayaMail:

While not a mandate punishable by hefty fines and jail time as in Bangkok, its surrounding provinces and the Deep South, the stay-at-home “suggestion” will be vigorously enforced, with anyone out after 9 p.m. likely to be accosted by police demanding justification for late-night sojourns.

I get off work late so my only time to walk/run the beach is after 9pm. What exactly do police do to hassle you? Just check passport? Can they force you to go home?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I get off work late so my only time to walk/run the beach is after 9pm. What exactly do police do to hassle you? Just check passport? Can they force you to go home?

It affects many... the people who staff  the village market were all complaining that the 9pm time did not give them time to pack up their stalls and get home. (Market is mid afternoon into the evening). Many workers impacted..... but I doubt a jog down the Beach Rd alone would bother them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

It's a curfew.... what do you not understand?

How the voluntary nature of it translates to what police intend to do exactly after 9pm. Do you have any insight into this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

There are many posters on here who come from societies where policing is done by consent, not force.

They will stay home because they know it makes sense.

apparently Thailand accepts policing by consent - they have allowed the RTP to behave as they do for many years.........

14 hours ago, Hal65 said:

How the voluntary nature of it translates to what police intend to do exactly after 9pm. Do you have any insight into this?

The comment that came out of the Expats Club was, despite Chonburi supposedly being a 'recommendation', there are consequences for breaking it....and the word curfew was used. 

As usual, best to see how it pans out and avoid being a test case yourself.

• Like 1

How is anyone going to know what they are going to do if they see you. If they see you one time maybe just let it go. But after a week of seeing you breaking the curfew. They could just think this guy doesn't have any  respect for Thailand. 

There is a great saying here. "Up to you" 

So run with that. 555. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

How is anyone going to know what they are going to do if they see you. If they see you one time maybe just let it go. But after a week of seeing you breaking the curfew. They could just think this guy doesn't have any  respect for Thailand. 

There is a great saying here. "Up to you" 

So run with that. 555. 

Or they could just think ' mai pen rai ' 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Don't you need a work permit to be a volunteer in Thailand?  

I don't have a work permit, so I shouldn't volunteer.  ????  

Not sure... I think one of the long term visas can allow voluntary work...maybe the O-X